Flight Gloves

Buddy Spike

Bottomline, for the heavy guys there really is not a lot of choice, as wearing gloves is required by regulation during takeoff and landing and hard to hide with a plane full of other crewmembers. I don’t judge your decision during other periods of flight I just know what I do and what works for me.
Not all Heavy platforms require gloves to be worn. I only wear gloves for the walk-a-round and when helping the LM's in the back of the plane.

2c-17v3

6.1.2.2. It is recommended that primary crewmembers wear Nomex gloves during engine start,

takeoff, and landing.

I flew with a vietnam era guy who recently retired. During an ASEV checkride, he "wore" his gloves under his headset on top of his head. The evaluator asked him about it and he quoted the reg- gloves are required to be worn- it doesn't say how to wear them. I think he Q-1E'd the checkride. The Air Force sure knows how to sweat the small stuff.

Hacker good call bro. This brings up the good technique, procedure and the all important "technedure" discussion. Would hate for some UPT/UNT student to get the "Where the hell'd you learn that?" from an instr and they reply, "the guys on baseops.net do it". As much as we'd like I don't think our discussions will ever be deemed "regulation", required reading maybe.

It's not "required" that we wear our straps at all times, highly suggested you could say. T/O, AR and landing but the rest of the time not so much. I personally do for the simple reason of seeing lots of people float around in the tube or get slammed into the ceiling during a few near mid airs and incorrect flight control inputs. To each his own but make sure you're ready to face the consequences of your actions.

Cooter

Guest WildBill

Cut the tips off your thumb, index, and middle finger, you can thumb through your charts, and still have somewhat of a fire protection. As for fire protection, isn't that kind of a farse(sp) I mean put a lighter up to your nomex glove, whether I catch fire or not, burning me to the bone is just as bad?

Some Navy magazine this month has a picture of a guy's hand who caught his ring on the canopy rail during an emerg. ground egress. Said he heard a "ripping" sound = no more finger.

11 years ago they had that pic above every urinal around the 562nd at RND. Nasty.

I'm still more worried about watching it drop behind the glareshield when I reach up to grab more Tostitos (or one of those chicken patties at the Died that occasionally crunch...yum)

I am a helo driver and I wear my gloves. I make my crew wear their gloves. I wear mine and I make my crew wear theirs because if there is a fire, I am going to pull them out and the grunts in the back and I want them to be able to do the same without hesitation. I can say the same about wearing body armor to include the chicken plate. I do not care how hot it is. It only takes 1 bullet to wish you or someone in your crew was wearing their body armor.

Guest Rainman A-10

I never flew a helo without my gloves on. Helos have lots of emergencies and no ejection seat.

Originally posted by ET:

Some Navy magazine this month has a picture of a guy's hand who caught his ring on the canopy rail during an emerg. ground egress. Said he heard a "ripping" sound = no more finger.

Is wearing a glove really going to prevent ripping a finger off? You shouldn't be wearing a ring anyways...especially if you're TDY.

Originally posted by UPT-hopeful:

His call sign == "Shocker"

24zj2ix.jpg

Nice.

Guest harry paratestes

Gloves aren't required to be worn in my sexy ol' jet either. Our Vol 3 says that "all crewmembers will have nomex gloves in their posession" and that's it. The majority of the guys I fly with don't wear them, unless they're taking a pizza out of the oven or their jerking off in the lav and they want that "not your own hand" feeling. The color doesn't matter either, at least in my squadron...I wear desert ones at the moment, cuz it's the only color the supply guys had.

Originally posted by ET:

Here's the article with picture of Shocker. Yes, his finger is gone, and hence the call sign.

2572kqt.jpg

Originally posted by ET:

Is wearing a glove really going to prevent ripping a finger off? You shouldn't be wearing a ring anyways...especially if you're TDY.

Yes it would have, that was the whole point of the article (put on your glasses and squint and you can probably read it).
  • Upvote 1

• 10 years later...

Does anyone have any experience with touch screen compatible flight gloves? I'm looking to buy some for our sq and want some feedback from anyone who have used them. This is mainly for our loadmasters who aren't allowed to cut the fingertips off of their gloves. 

Does anyone have any experience with touch screen compatible flight gloves? I'm looking to buy some for our sq and want some feedback from anyone who have used them. This is mainly for our loadmasters who aren't allowed to cut the fingertips off of their gloves. 

We use these and everyone loves them. Comfortable, relatively lightweight, and work great with our EFBs

https://loftactical.com/shop/sortie-glove/

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2006 at 7:01 AM, Toro said:

Here's the article with picture of Shocker. Yes, his finger is gone, and hence the call sign.

2572kqt.jpg

"Two in the..." I'm sure none of his fellow aviators made that joke.

On 3/8/2017 at 7:22 AM, willis said:

https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-core-flight-gloves

On 3/8/2017 at 10:52 AM, tk1313 said:

"Two in the..." I'm sure none of his fellow aviators made that joke.

Holy shit - I think you win for the oldest quoted post.  11 years.  Well done.

• Upvote 3