Does AD or ANG/AFR have the best “community”?

engeguy

I’m curious to know how the “community” or “brotherhood” of pilots compares in Active Duty to ANG/AFR.

I’ve heard that the pilots in AD fighter squadrons are a very close knit community, and I am wondering if the same is true for reservists / part timers?

I have some buddies who are SEALs or Marines and they treat each other like family. Is this also a trend in the pilot community?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

I’m curious to know how the “community” or “brotherhood” of pilots compares in Active Duty to ANG/AFR.

I’ve heard that the pilots in AD fighter squadrons are a very close knit community, and I am wondering if the same is true for reservists / part timers?

I have some buddies who are SEALs or Marines and they treat each other like family. Is this also a trend in the pilot community?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

Depends greatly on the airframe and mission. For the most part, the pilot community is fairly tight knit, but there are still individuals that don't like each other and there's a few trouble-makers/back-stabbers in every community. Normally, you can probably say that when your buddy is armed to literally save your hairy ass in a life or death situation, you've gotta be pretty tight with your fellow crewmembers/wingmen. I'd say the tight-knitness starts to loosen in the airlift/tanker world whether your are talking AD or the ARC.

I wouldn't go as far as comparing SEALS to most of our pilot groups.

The tightest groups are overseas units nd tightest of the tight are the fighter squadrons. AFSOC units are really close due to the time on the road together and units at Cannon are all usually close. I can’t speak to AMC but it doesn’t seem like they’re that close from the outside.

Been in the Guard 18 years with 10 years in the squadron as a pilot.  I would say it varies widly by squadron and even from year to year.   9 years ago, I would say our "camraderie" was rather low...today, MUCH higher.  The big detractor is that most guys are from the local area (various burbs...with family/friends close) so we're kinda spread out all over the city, the kids are in different school systems and most of the wives have jobs.  With that, everyone has their own thing going on and busy lives.  Another factor is our average age is higher so most guys have older kids that have them going non-stop...not to mention many of us have other jobs.   I don't think we could ever hold a candle to an overseas fighter squadron who mostly live on base and/or in the same neighborhood.  That said, I've flown with the same bros for 10 years and they're truly like brothers to me.  I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

Another unique thing about the guard is that many of us are prior-E and many people stay on the base for 30+.  Our tightness is expanded grately outside the squadron.  Example...when I was a SrA, I had an awesome E-9 who always took great care of us.  Fast forward 13 years and I'm the projo for a a two week TDY.  That same E-9 is my NCOIC for the trip...what a humbling experience to have that guy call me sir and be my right hand man for the trip.  When I walk out to my jet, a buddy from my crew chiefin days is launching me out.  When I walk over to the expediter truck, it's my buddy Bill and not just MSgt Snuffy.  When we go TDY we ALL party together.  We know our crew chiefs, weapons loaders and avionics guys by first name and we know their families.   When we want to buy a car we talk to one of our part time AFE guys who manages a local dealership.  When I need HVAC stuff done I know a guy in a Mx backshop who has a side business.  If we want property management, we have a part time E-9.  We even had an enlisted dude recently kill it on Shark Tank and is doing very well for himself.  On the flip side, we can be like a small high school...everyone know everything!   We're a giant family...sometimes a dysfunctional one, but a family nonetheless.  

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Danger41 said:

The tightest groups are overseas units nd tightest of the tight are the fighter squadrons. AFSOC units are really close due to the time on the road together and units at Cannon are all usually close. I can’t speak to AMC but it doesn’t seem like they’re that close from the outside.

This for AD. Airlift units are super tight over seas as well just based on the separation. Stateside is a different story. The more an airframe is on the road the less tight knit the squadron, but also the more remote a base is, the tighter the squadron. Fighter units tend to be way closer but they are squadrons of mostly officers and most of them are home for the weekend, so it makes sense.

• Downvote 1

I’m an ANG baby and we were closer when we flew herks. Once we switched to MQ-9s, we spent so much time together at work every single day that we didn’t do as much together outside. But when we get the large group together for namings, promotions, or retirements, then it feels like old times. But nothing helps build camaraderie like going on the road together.

I’ve never been in an AD squadron for other than training and some deployments so I can’t speak to them. But some of my ANG bubbas are like brothers to me. I have called the ANG my 2nd family many times and I meant it every single time. I’ve known many of these folks for almost 27 years and I would do anything for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

False dichotomy.

The question of "brotherhood" or "camaraderie" is a question of infinite variables in people and personality that's constantly changing. There's a spectrum-wide range of mission, leadership, location, aircraft, ops temp, etc in either org. There's also an equally wide range of people in every unit, be it AD or AFR/ANG. Generally speaking, you'll find more good people than not and the quality of your relationships with your coworkers depends entirely on you, not the branch of service. There's no difference, and you'll only get anecdotal evidence based on limited experience with any answer to this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, torqued said:

False dichotomy.

The question of "brotherhood" or "camaraderie" is a question of infinite variables in people and personality that's constantly changing. There's a spectrum-wide range of mission, leadership, location, aircraft, ops temp, etc in either org. There's also an equally wide range of people in every unit, be it AD or AFR/ANG. Generally speaking, you'll find more good people than not and the quality of your relationships with your coworkers depends entirely on you, not the branch of service. There's no difference, and you'll only get anecdotal evidence based on limited experience with any answer to this.

medium-clean.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marco said:

Whatever, Chidi. 😂

I had to google "chidi". I'm guessing it's a reference to a broadcast network TV sitcom that you watch? 

I guess that's still a thing. Anyway, sick burn, bro. 😂