Acute Intoxication

FlyingMonkey95

My coworkers and I were celebrating after a successful month at work. On a empty stomach, I had one to many drinks and got kicked out the club for falling asleep. When my co-workers found me outside sitting down against the wall, they tried to wake me up. I murmured a few words and was unresponsive after that. They ended up calling the ambulance for precautionary reasons and took me to the hospital. I woke up 4 hours later and went home. Now the question is, on my medical/hospital record its states "Acute Intoxication". I wanted to know if that is disqualifying for a USAF Pilot slot? I'm currently assembling my package for the next civilian rated board.

-No Medical History

-Criminal Record Squeaky Clean (not even a speeding ticket)

-I rarely drink (maybe once a month so not an "abuser")

-Never done drugs

-Just passed my FAA Class 2 Medical w/ this event included

I’m a super light weight. Then combination of having only 5 drinks, having barley slept because of the nature of my work and an empty stomach made me pass out. I looked over my medical records and they didn’t do a blood test. I’m freaking out because I’m assembling my package and jsut recived my scores back and they’re competitive for a rated slot. Just hoping this one poor decision doesn’t shut the doors on my dreams.

Are these medical records something you have to turn over? The reason I ask is because I know a guy who didn’t disclose that he had a concussion snowboarding once and also had PRK laser correction surgery. I’m not advocating dishonesty, I’m also not advocating you telling them every time you had a drunken rager and hooked up with the ugly chick while in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

@Duck knew a guy in college and that was his move every Friday - get drunk and hook up with the ugly chick.  We called him KOTU (King of the Underworld.)  Always said: "if you aim for the ground you'll never miss" We always appreciated it because it usually set his boys up for the win with that girls friends.

@FlyingMonkey95 A few of my friends that I've met at meet and greets during boards got hired and did the FC1 at WP over the last few months.   I know they had stuff they were concerned about too.  I get the impression they only know what you tell them - but I could be wrong - YMMV. 

Have you gotten an interview yet? I would focus on getting an interview before worrying about something like that.  

Edited by UPTapplicant2017

I would focus on learning how to drink before you rush any units. 5 drinks on an empty stomach while sleep deprived sounds like a chill night on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha definitely, I commute 4 hours a day so I don’t get much sleep. I was just wondering if it’s an automatic DQ when I get sent to MEPs and they see this on my record. My recruiter keeps telling me I have a great chance because of my scores for AD and I don’t want to let him down.

Yeah man, I just don’t see how they will get this info unless you disclose it to them. If you do, I could see them raising some sort of stink about it because it seems like that’s what they do best. Just remember these aren’t YOUR doctors, they aren’t there to treat you or diagnose you. It’s an interrogation, the less said the better. Just my advice.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Duck said:

Yeah man, I just don’t see how they will get this info unless you disclose it to them. If you do, I could see them raising some sort of stink about it because it seems like that’s what they do best. Just remember these aren’t YOUR doctors, they aren’t there to treat you or diagnose you. It’s an interrogation, the less said the better. Just my advice.

Technically I wasn't "hospitalized" or sent to the "Emergency Room" I just stay in a room with an IV bag and left after I woke up. I'm just scared because I told my FAA medical examiner about it and they have a case on file as well as an insurance claim. I don't want them to think I'm lying and get DQ'd that way. Appreciate the advice Duck 

I heard a wise LtCol tell me once make sure your civilian doc never meets your FAA doc and that neither of them meet your mil doc. I wouldn’t lie. But if they don’t ask for it, I don’t think I would tell. The only records I have ever hear of the mil in possession of are those you give to them prior or if you have some procedure done by a civilian doc while on mil status with mil health insurance.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone spiked your drink without you knowing.

It's a single variable on a very long and complex application process. Many disqualifying items stipulate "having a history of....". A one off event, to me, does not indicate you having a history of an underlying medical condition or even a behavioral issue. But it's subjective, I'm not a flt doc, and in my experience most flight docs wouldn't care.

However, there's a chance you face a bad flight doc on a bad day. What are you going to do? Not apply? Go for it.

Don't divulge. Don't lie.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Guardian said:

I heard a wise LtCol tell me once make sure your civilian doc never meets your FAA doc and that neither of them meet your mil doc. I wouldn’t lie. But if they don’t ask for it, I don’t think I would tell. The only records I have ever hear of the mil in possession of are those you give to them prior or if you have some procedure done by a civilian doc while on mil status with mil health insurance.

That’s good advice. The only concern I have is that I filled an insurance claim and I told FAA doctor while I got my FAA 2nd class medical. I’m worried if they check my flight hours for PCSM and look at my insurance, it’s going to pop up.

5 hours ago, torqued said:

Sounds like someone spiked your drink without you knowing.

It's a single variable on a very long and complex application process. Many disqualifying items stipulate "having a history of....". A one off event, to me, does not indicate you having a history of an underlying medical condition or even a behavioral issue. But it's subjective, I'm not a flt doc, and in my experience most flight docs wouldn't care.

However, there's a chance you face a bad flight doc on a bad day. What are you going to do? Not apply? Go for it.

Don't divulge. Don't lie.

I definitely not lying, the FAA medical examiner is also a USAF surgeon so he was the one that told me technically I can check no on the medical forums.I guess this is a judgment call on my behalf of balancing factual events and morality. Thanks for the advice

On 1/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, FlyingMonkey95 said:

Technically I wasn't "hospitalized" or sent to the "Emergency Room" I just stay in a room with an IV bag and left after I woke up. I'm just scared because I told my FAA medical examiner about it and they have a case on file as well as an insurance claim. I don't want them to think I'm lying and get DQ'd that way. Appreciate the advice Duck 

If someone stuck a needle in your arm, you were "hospitalized."   

I highly doubt anyone "spiked" your drink as well. 

If asked about what happened, don't try to bullshit your way around it.  Be truthful and accept the consequences.

And if nobody asks, don't share what doesn't need to be shared.

One more thing. If it does come up make sure you have a good narrative to take responsibility for it and show how you grew from the experience. People make mistakes and occasdional bad judgements. You aren't too stupid because you at least went out with friends you know would take care of you. Have a good plan to say how you've reduced drinking, make smarter plans before you go out and are generally a better person now. A board will want to hear this and although a meps doctor is making a medical decision he will probably be less concerned if you can convey this was clearly a 1-off and not a chronic problem. 

I'm not even sure your board would know even if your meps doctor knew. The few interviews I did to boards in the AF, I was told by the medical team they could not share details to the hiring officer due to HIPPA, they could only make a recommendation.