MoH recipient Col Joe Jackson has passed away at 95

HU&W

For the U-2 guys:

Col Jackson was Solo #42.  That's just 13 numbers before Tony B and 4 months before Tony.  I just spoke to Tony this morning about their time together at "The Ranch" (Groom Lake) in '56-'57 for their U-2 checkout.  Like a lot of those guys, he came out of F-84's at Turner AFB.  

If any of y'all attended the past 4080th Reunions at Laughlin AFB, you probably met Joe.  

Hail Dragons.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/01/14/air-force-medal-honor-recipient-joe-jackson-dies-95.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR27FcRUwZPS4-RU4n0tINrYqnH5hmUAWiLaHw1MKP5GpdwORlH9LWstAlQ#Echobox=1547498512

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jackson administered me the Comissioning oath when I graduated ROTC back in 1995.  Been trying to find the photos of it for the last day or two, but no luck.

He, along with fellow AF MoH awardee Leo Thorsness, were somewhat frequent guests at my ROTC unit at the U of Washington as they both lived in the area.  An unbelievable honor to listen and learn from those two over the years.

Blue skies and tailwinds to a true hero.

Edited by Hacker
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

True inspiration is all I can think to stay.:beer:

Pcola, I read "Unbroken" and saw the movie some time ago and it was unbelievable what Zamperini and not to forget his crewmates Phillips and McNamara et al. went through all in an effort to find another missing crew. And we think we have rough days.