? On transferring to to Guard/Reserves with almost 19 years AD

For the masses. I’m currently AD with almost 19 years (prior-E). C-17 background and currently flying the T-1. I’d like to continue to serve in a part-time capacity. Does anyone have any idea of how successful someone would be making the transition to the Guard/Reserves, with that much time in. I’d prefer a C-17 unit, but would accept any job, if/when I’m hired by the airlines. 

2nd option:  Completing 20 years AD, then going Guard/Reserves?

thanks in advance

I joined my unit at 19 years and 9 months.

For me, I was non-current, so they were worried that I would retire as soon as I got current. I just had to convince them that I wouldn't do that. Otherwise, there is no issue continuing to serve past twenty other than commissioned HYT at 24 (Major) and 28 (Lt Col).

Can you explain why you would stay in at 20 when you could get out and start collecting your pension and start a second career? Staying in past 20 seems a lot like working for a $30,000-50,000 discount.

I’m genuinely interested. I think it would be great to have the opportunity to stay in after 20, but I can’t justify it. Kids college and retirement is expensive. Curious if there’s a perspective I haven’t considered that makes more sense.

I don't think there is a financial justification for staying past 20, you do it because you have a desire to continue serving/flying that is more important than maxing out your pay for the period of time you go past 20. To each their own.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 11:13 PM, Mox said:

2nd option:  Completing 20 years AD, then going Guard/Reserves?

It is possible (but requires a waiver process and the unit likely has to be desperate for a warm body from the few cases I've seen).  I have a friend who got passed over to O-5 on AD but still was able to retire at 20 years.  The Reserves convinced him to come back to duty with them.  He just made the Reserve O-6 board.  The financial details of this are that your AD retirement check gets chopped the amount you are making for any reserve duty (I'm simplifying this but it's basically what happens)...so, you don't make your AD retirement plus any reserve duty pay.  You are doing this for love of country for the most part (although in my friend's case, his final retirement check once he finally retires again will be a bit larger). 

C-17s just stood up at the Pittsburgh Reserve unit so they might be hiring and same with the Charlotte ANG  (no inside info though).   

Edited by VigilanteNav

Was active for 23 years and then went ANG for additional 10 years. Had to get SECAF approval, but the Guard unit had openings so it was approved.  While in the Guard I did not receive an AD retirement,  but was orders more often not and received active pay w/BHA while I attended grad school.  Got to fly without all the extraneous AD nonsense and go to school,  for me it was a win/win, ymmv!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Igloowhite said:

Was active for 23 years and then went ANG for additional 10 years. Had to get SECAF approval, but the Guard unit had openings so it was approved.  While in the Guard I did not receive an AD retirement,  but was orders more often not and received active pay w/BHA while I attended grad school.  Got to fly without all the extraneous AD nonsense and go to school,  for me it was a win/win, ymmv!

How did you not receive an active duty retirement...?

55 minutes ago, Igloowhite said:

You sign a waiver basically that you forfeit your retirement pay while in the ANG, but once you finished with your service your guard time adds onto your AD time ( plus promotion ) when you start receiving your retirement pay.

Interesting. Is that the only way they'll let an over 20 guy in? Asking for a friend.

6 hours ago, I don't exist said:

I chose to switch because I still like flying Air Force airplanes, but want to live where I want to live. My unit is in a low cost of living location, so money’s not an issue.

I don’t have airline aspirations.

@I don't exist so, just curious if you're full-time or TG?  I'm hearing of a lot of units having no issues attracting and retaining TG's (actually showing them the door at 20 Sat Service), yet struggle to fill their full-time openings.  Quite the opposite of just a few years ago.  

On 2/10/2019 at 2:56 PM, Klepto said:

Interesting. Is that the only way they'll let an over 20 guy in? Asking for a friend.

You can stay past 20 in an AGR or traditional position, just depends if the unit wants/needs you.  In most units I've been around (mine included), any AGRs beyond 20 are in leadership positions/next in line (group and wing level).  There are year limits still per rank (i.e. 26 years for Lt Col without a waiver...I think).

Edited by brabus
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brabus said:

You can stay past 20 in an AGR or traditional position, just depends if the unit wants/needs you.  In most units I've been around (mine included), any AGRs beyond 20 are in leadership positions/next in line (group and wing level).  There are year limits still per rank (i.e. 26 years for Lt Col without a waiver...I think).

It's going to get sporty with all of the technician to agr conversions they're talking about.  Will the squadrons receive more traditional mil positions during the process?  Could be a challenge finding mil positions for TGs without the ability to double slot the new AGR positions.  

Edited by SaltyDawg

It's going to get sporty with all of the technician to agr conversions they're talking about.  Will the squadrons receive more traditional mil positions during the process?  Could be a challenge finding mil positions for TGs without the ability to double slot the new AGR positions.  

No, this is a conversion not a plus up.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Why would it get sporty?  The 2 conversions we just did were rather seamless and has left only 2 techs as the lone holdouts, but even they will convert soon enough.  We've been hiring dudes off AD/Navy/Marines straight into AGR with the gentlemans handshake (or bonus) that they'll spend a few years AGR.  We simply have no more room for part-timers.

6 hours ago, SocialD said:

Why would it get sporty?  The 2 conversions we just did were rather seamless and has left only 2 techs as the lone holdouts, but even they will convert soon enough.  We've been hiring dudes off AD/Navy/Marines straight into AGR with the gentlemans handshake (or bonus) that they'll spend a few years AGR.  We simply have no more room for part-timers.

The no more room for part-timers is what I was eluding to as, could get sporty....at least in some units. 

On 2/12/2019 at 4:31 AM, SaltyDawg said:

@I don't exist so, just curious if you're full-time or TG?  I'm hearing of a lot of units having no issues attracting and retaining TG's (actually showing them the door at 20 Sat Service), yet struggle to fill their full-time openings.  Quite the opposite of just a few years ago.  

We’re a combat unit at the same installation as our MWS FTU. We get tons of prior FTU IPs wanting to be TRs.

We just had half of our ART positions converted to AGR and only one legitimate candidate applied.

Edited to add that we are close to maxed out on TRs.

Edited by I don't exist
See above.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, Guardian said:

Isn’t there a way to give up your O5 for an O4 to make you more marketable to the guard?

I know of enlisted guys that gave up a stripe for a slot, but they would still retire as the higher rank. I'm not sure if it's the same for officers. 

On 2/11/2019 at 7:18 AM, Guardian said:

Isn’t there a way to give up your O5 for an O4 to make you more marketable to the guard?

Not directly related, but I do know an AD USN O-3 that is joining the AD USMC as an O-1.  I thought he'd keep his rank, as that has been my experience with cross-service transfers in the past; but he explained to get the transfer he would have to be "demoted" as he wouldn't have enough experience as an infantry officer in the Marines commensurate with his current rank...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, I don't exist said:

We’re a combat unit at the same installation as our MWS FTU. We get tons of prior FTU IPs wanting to be TRs.

We just had half of our ART positions converted to AGR and only one legitimate candidate applied.

Edited to add that we are close to maxed out on TRs.

Same here with being maxed out on TRs....simply no mil positions to put them in with the AGR "re-allignment". 

• 3 weeks later...

Airline hiring projected to continue at maximum effort as retirements are through the roof at most. Always good to have a PT Guard/Reserve gig just in case your near the bottom of the seniority list. It was also fun for awhile having the Military hero work with your friends flying your keeper jets and then back to the other world. AGR gigs were scarce after 911. Always a cyclic event. Those who continue after 20, I thank you for your servitude/patriotism-nationalism. Ya’ll make us proud!