Palace Front/Chase transition from Active Duty

flat4power

I’m currently AD and planning to pursue a UPT slot. Solid leadership and deployment experience background from 17D career field.

87 Pilot

STEM background in college and currently working on Master’s

75 PCSM with 87 PCSM for 201+ hours and up

PPL SEL

ADSC of Nov  2020 

My plan is to secure a UPT slot with a unit and start the transition.

I am currently requesting LORs from 1x 0-6 A4 and 2x sq commanders all of whom I served as commanders previously.

Any thoughts from the community is much appreciated.

Edited by flat4power

You might benefit slightly from a TBAS retake depending on how you felt about your performance on the first one, i.e. if you know how you could have squeezed some more points out. Otherwise, forget it, you're pretty solid on that front.

Good that you're already commissioned, got your PPL, and have graduate work in progress.

Might want to diversify your LORs a bit. ANG, after all, is a lot of civilian folks with a military side-gig, so knowing that you are civilian-capable is important. Unless the content of each one is very distinct, it is not going to mean much more than a single LOR would.

13 hours ago, Catman said:

You might benefit slightly from a TBAS retake depending on how you felt about your performance on the first one, i.e. if you know how you could have squeezed some more points out. Otherwise, forget it, you're pretty solid on that front.

Good that you're already commissioned, got your PPL, and have graduate work in progress.

Might want to diversify your LORs a bit. ANG, after all, is a lot of civilian folks with a military side-gig, so knowing that you are civilian-capable is important. Unless the content of each one is very distinct, it is not going to mean much more than a single LOR would.

@Catman good point about the LORs.  Most of the commanders I have worked under are AD but I’m going to caveat that with my current experience gained from my current AFSC I am worth the investment. 

Anyone ever have issues getting medical clearance from the ANG? I was medically cleared to Palace Front, then approved Palace Front by AFPC, hired by a unit with a position number but then have been sitting around for the last 2 months because the NGB won’t sign my medical clearance. Apparently my Guard unit sent it to the State who sat on it for a while then realized it had to be approved by the NGB (food allergy waiver while on AD). They sent it back to the unit who scrambled and sent it up to the NGB where it has sat for the last month and a half. It’s almost like the ANG doesn’t really need pilots I guess. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Anyone ever have issues getting medical clearance from the ANG? I was medically cleared to Palace Front, then approved Palace Front by AFPC, hired by a unit with a position number but then have been sitting around for the last 2 months because the NGB won’t sign my medical clearance. Apparently my Guard unit sent it to the State who sat on it for a while then realized it had to be approved by the NGB (food allergy waiver while on AD). They sent it back to the unit who scrambled and sent it up to the NGB where it has sat for the last month and a half. It’s almost like the ANG doesn’t really need pilots I guess. Lol

So what's the problem? That's just the Guard, man. Administrative processes are always measured in months, not days. Especially at NGB. Only 5 people work there, and they're all traditional working every other week, Tues-Thurs, 0900-1100 and 1300-1500.

Sad but true. The guard is modeled after the army and a lot of the state and ngb people who are suppose to take care of us don’t understand the Air guys and subsequently it takes forever to get things done. I would start getting phone numbers and calling people like crazy. You’d be surprised how spending that effort pays off when it is usually an army dude who it takes 5 seconds to sign off on.

• Like 1

Second what Guardian said - "modeled after the army".  So when we complain that it's taking almost 90 days to get someone gained, the Army guys in the state say - 'wow!  Getting it done in 90 days is excellent; way faster than our goal'.  No @h!t direct quote. 

• Like 1