Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy

Personal credit card on the road?

Recommended Posts

Where is it written that we have to use the GTC while TDY? 

And has anyone ever gotten spoken to about using a personal credit card on the road instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For day to day purchases, use your own card to your hearts content. For hotels, flights, etc, use the GTC. For reimbursable stuff requiring receipts (gas for rental, airport parking fees, etc), use GTC.

I don’t know JTR chapter and verse but that’s the big picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ya I know that I’m trying to see where exactly that’s written. Because if it’s not written I’m using personal for everything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pilotguy said:

Well ya I know that I’m trying to see where exactly that’s written. Because if it’s not written I’m using personal for everything.

 

It’s in the JTR I believe. That being said I try to use it for things that need receipts. I’ve not used it several times for extended stay hotels because the charge was above the $4,000 limit and I didn’t feel like calling to up it. I’ve never had anyone say anything to me. I know several people that refuse to use their GTC for anything except the airline tickets booked in DTS and no one has ever said anything. 

Just know if you do it you are technically not following the rules. I would have a good excuse, like you card won’t scan/chip is broke, left your card at home, or some other excuse in your back pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, viper154 said:

It’s in the JTR I believe. That being said I try to use it for things that need receipts. I’ve not used it several times for extended stay hotels because the charge was above the $4,000 limit and I didn’t feel like calling to up it. I’ve never had anyone say anything to me. I know several people that refuse to use their GTC for anything except the airline tickets booked in DTS and no one has ever said anything. 

Just know if you do it you are technically not following the rules. I would have a good excuse, like you card won’t scan/chip is broke, left your card at home, or some other excuse in your back pocket. 

I de-magnetized mine 3 years ago...never seems to work and the numbers are difficult to read for some reason.

Hilton Diamond. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You obviously put a lot of effort into this. Try Google:

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/regulations/GTCC.pdf

040501. Requirement for Use

Unless otherwise exempt (see section 0406), all DoD personnel (military or civilian) are required to use the travel card for all authorized expenses relating to official government travel. Official government travel is defined as travel under official orders to meet mission requirements.

040502. Failure to Use GTCC

Failure to use the travel card will not be used as a basis for refusal to reimburse the traveler for authorized expenses. However, failure to use the travel card may subject the traveler to appropriate administrative or disciplinary action.

Then go look at Section 0406 for exemptions. 

Free advice: If you’re going to break a rule, don’t ask the crowd if it’s ok to break the rule, and then scoff people trying to help you when you appear to have put in about 3 seconds of actual work.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always Used it for plane tickets via dts....because i couldn’t figure a good way around it. 

Everything else was personal card. 

Then moved the split disbursement on the voucher side to only pay Gtc balance and everything else went to my account. 

20 yrs, 3 days, zero issues. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BeerMan said:

You obviously put a lot of effort into this. Try Google:

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/regulations/GTCC.pdf

040501. Requirement for Use

Unless otherwise exempt (see section 0406), all DoD personnel (military or civilian) are required to use the travel card for all authorized expenses relating to official government travel. Official government travel is defined as travel under official orders to meet mission requirements.

040502. Failure to Use GTCC

Failure to use the travel card will not be used as a basis for refusal to reimburse the traveler for authorized expenses. However, failure to use the travel card may subject the traveler to appropriate administrative or disciplinary action.

Then go look at Section 0406 for exemptions. 

Free advice: If you’re going to break a rule, don’t ask the crowd if it’s ok to break the rule, and then scoff people trying to help you when you appear to have put in about 3 seconds of actual work.

Wait....so, not the JTR? 

Free advice:  Don’t be a jabroni if a dude had a simple question on source information.

Awesome work deconstructing cross-referenced bureaucracy that no one else could. 

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pilotguy said:

And has anyone ever gotten spoken to about using a personal credit card on the road instead?

Spoken to?  Yes.  More than once.

I retired 4 years ago, and never... ever... had a GTC issued to me.  As such, I couldn't use one.  

Yes, I'm an extreme data point.  But where there is a will, there is energy to find a way.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DazedandCynical said:

Wait....so, not the JTR? 

Free advice:  Don’t be a jabroni if a dude had a simple question on source information.

Awesome work deconstructing cross-referenced bureaucracy that no one else could. 

It may not be in the JTR but it's DoD policy you nitwit.  The OP seemed to be under the impression that if it wasn't in the JTR then he could do whatever.  I've seen this policy enforced to varying degrees in my career.  Some commanders care, others don't.

Personally I don't see the big deal with not using your GTC and getting your Hilton points when you get Diamond with your AMEX platinum anyway.

Edited by Homestar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Homestar said:

It may not be in the JTR but it's DoD policy you nitwit.  The OP seemed to be under the impression that if it wasn't in the JTR then he could do whatever.  I've seen this policy enforced to varying degrees in my career.  Some commanders care, others don't.

Personally I don't see the big deal with not using your GTC and getting your Hilton points when you get Diamond with your AMEX platinum anyway.

Never said it wasn’t policy. His original question was where is this written. Ever had someone tell you a policy existed but quoted the wrong reg? 

In my experience, CCs don’t care. The problem arises from the RA that approves the voucher....RA = must approve voucher. The CC = may subject the traveler to the disciplinary action.

You get Hilton Gold with AMEX platinum. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience the majority of RAs don't care - the conservative route is use the GTC for the big items like airfare, lodging, rental car.  More risk if you use personal card for those things, but still over all pretty low risk.  FWIW, 13 years and a metric shitload of TDYs (with friends in the same boat) and I don't know a single one who got in trouble for using their personal card on a multitude of things.  Doesn't mean it can't happen, but overall threat is very low.  What's your risk tolerance?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brabus said:

In my experience the majority of RAs don't care - the conservative route is use the GTC for the big items like airfare, lodging, rental car.  More risk if you use personal card for those things, but still over all pretty low risk.  FWIW, 13 years and a metric shitload of TDYs (with friends in the same boat) and I don't know a single one who got in trouble for using their personal card on a multitude of things.  Doesn't mean it can't happen, but overall threat is very low.  What's your risk tolerance?

Ditto.  Nobody cares.  I'm sure somebody somewhere cares but nobody cares. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Homestar said:

It may not be in the JTR but it's DoD policy you nitwit.  The OP seemed to be under the impression that if it wasn't in the JTR then he could do whatever.  I've seen this policy enforced to varying degrees in my career.  Some commanders care, others don't.

Personally I don't see the big deal with not using your GTC and getting your Hilton points when you get Diamond with your AMEX platinum anyway.

Amex platinum only gets you gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DazedandCynical said:

Wait....so, not the JTR? 

Free advice:  Don’t be a jabroni if a dude had a simple question on source information.

Awesome work deconstructing cross-referenced bureaucracy that no one else could. 

Maybe I’m just cranky today but if you google “GTC use while TDY” it is literally the 3rd hit. I wouldn’t call that “deconstructing cross-referenced bureaucracy that no one else could”

I’m not the GTC police. You do you. But they guy created a new thread, responded with “well ya I know” twice and wanted someone to do the work for him. It just came across as lazy. 

I’ll go back to drinking my Ensure now.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a suggestion.. use your GTC for booking and pick-up of a rental car because you fall under the governments negotiated insurance policy.. upon return, if no damage to the car, have them switch the payment over to your personal credit card so you can get the points. 

My friend only only uses his GTC for DTS airline travel and the above rental car scenario. 10 yrs, airlift guy, no issues

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one time I could’ve been bit by conveniently “forgetting” my GTC was when my jet broke at Hill and I needed a ticket from SLC but Delta wouldn’t give me a govt rate without the GTC.

Called my RA who told me to use my personal at the more expensive rate.

Expected to get a talking to as a Capt but never heard a word. I never use my GTC.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had a GTC negatively affect their credit score?

I was recently scheduled for a sim, our RA purchased airline tickets using my GTC thru SATO. The Guard Bureau cancelled the sim due to end of FY lack of funds. My orders were cancelled, my sim was cancelled, and my airline tickets were cancelled 2 days prior. I had a bunch of SATO fees with no way  to create an authorization or voucher without orders. Long story short, no one could figure out (or were willing to try) how to pay the pill in DTS with no orders, and Citi eventually suspends my card and says the charges are going to a collection agency and will be reflected on my credit score. So I pay it out of my own pocket, late, to avoid further headaches. Today, I get an email saying my score has changed, but I have zero debt any where, for any thing. The connection between Experian and USAA is down so I am unable to view the negative factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, torqued said:

Has anyone had a GTC negatively affect their credit score?

The GTC has never showed up on my credit report let alone credit score. 

Doesn’t mean Citi won’t send it to collections if it’s way past due. A legitimate inability to pay due to the government’s failure to reimburse you is grounds for IG action I’d say. 

Edited by Homestar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, torqued said:

Has anyone had a GTC negatively affect their credit score?

I was recently scheduled for a sim, our RA purchased airline tickets using my GTC thru SATO. The Guard Bureau cancelled the sim due to end of FY lack of funds. My orders were cancelled, my sim was cancelled, and my airline tickets were cancelled 2 days prior. I had a bunch of SATO fees with no way  to create an authorization or voucher without orders. Long story short, no one could figure out (or were willing to try) how to pay the pill in DTS with no orders, and Citi eventually suspends my card and says the charges are going to a collection agency and will be reflected on my credit score. So I pay it out of my own pocket, late, to avoid further headaches. Today, I get an email saying my score has changed, but I have zero debt any where, for any thing. The connection between Experian and USAA is down so I am unable to view the negative factors.

I’m curious as to how you guys tackle the problem. Sq/RA is my third additional duty.. I think I’d advise to create a voucher, zero out all the per diem and entitlements, just pay as if it was a one-day trip. I think this functionality might already be present in DTS. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, herkbier said:

I think I’d advise to create a voucher, zero out all the per diem and entitlements, just pay as if it was a one-day trip. I think this functionality might already be present in DTS. 

Ditto, local voucher is probably perfect for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...