Abnormal Corneal Topography

bronxbomber252

Situation: I am an HC-130J CSO who has been flying for 8 years. Recently I went to get corneal topography done as part of the workup for LASIK/PRK. During this they found abnormal corneal topography in my left eye. The optometrist said it shouldn’t affect my vision but it is DQ for surgery, no big deal, but the flight doc called me the next day saying I am now DNIF pending a waiver.

Vision details: my current RX is Left (S -1.50, C -1.00, A 170) right (S -1.25, C -1.25, A 013)

I see 20/15 corrected in both eyes, perfect depth perception and color vision. I show no symptoms of any other eye issues.

Question: how good are my odds at a waiver here? The flight doc sent the paperwork up and said the process is usually 1-2 months. I really want to keep flying I even signed a bonus, but this has me worried.

If your vision is still 20/20 or better and you can pass the depth perception test, the waiver is pretty much a formality.  Depending on the level of corneal abnormality, you might be sent to Wright-Patt for evaluation.  It's also possible the folks at Wright-Patt could review the topography and decide a waiver isn't even necessary.  Regardless, do NOT fret.  You may be DNiF for some period of time, but you will almost certainly fly again.

"do NOT fret"

Edited by stuckindayton

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Kilabe26 said:

Did they put you into the REACT study for abnormal corneal topography? 

Unlikely.  The REACT study is only for IFC I (pilot applicants).  Given that the waiver was indefinite it sounds like the folks at the Aeromedical Consultation Service didn't feel the topography was abnormal enough to monitor.