Army Guard to Air Guard

Hello everyone

Couldn't find an answer to this exact question so I’ll throw it out there. 

Is it possible for a pilot who is a commissioned officer in the army guard to apply for an air guard UPT slot and get selected before the service commitment is over (less than 5 years commissioned service to enter UPT). 

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, mcmdad50 said:

Hello everyone

Is it possible for a pilot who is a commissioned officer in the army guard to apply for an air guard UPT slot and get selected before the service commitment is over (less than 5 years commissioned service to enter UPT). 

Thanks in advance!

No idea, but I will say the 5 years of commissioned service is a pretty easy ETP if it comes to it. 

On 12/5/2018 at 2:43 PM, mcmdad50 said:

Hello everyone

Thanks in advance!

yes, that is my exact scenario.  Like has already been said, it will require you to get a DD Form 368 (conditional release)....do not mention anything to your CoC until after you have a job lined up.

Edited by JustHangingOut

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I have a similar situation as the guy that started this thread. I am currently an O-1 in the Utah Army National Guard as a field artillery officer. Where do I even start, to get a service transfer to the Utah Air National Guard with a pilot contract? Next month I start accelerated ground school to get my PPL. Will having that help my chances at all? Does you guys know anyone who has done this/ Can you point me in the right direction as I have no clue where to even begin. Thank you in advance!

To transfer as an ARNG officer to the ANG with a pilot contract...

1. Start finding applying to squadrons 
    • depending on the squadron their is quite a bit of paperwork to compile IOT submit your app
    • use the bogidope site to find what units are hiring and see what their requirements are... Job listing tab
  2. Get selected by a squadron
  3. Work with your current Army Guard S1 on filling out your conditional release form (DD-368)
    • Routing and approvals can/will vary from state to state
    • You will have to do a close out with all the S-shops for current unit
  4. Simultaneously figure out next step to get sworn in on the Air Guard side
    • As a current service member the gaining squadron will likely want you to complete the FC1 before you commission 
    • Lean on the UPT board coordinator to figure out who you need to talk to to make things happen... Likely a mix of recruiting/training/ops

You will need to be proactive in figuring out how to make the transfer work according to your state. Be especially proactive in respectfully communicating and following up with people who are pushing your paperwork. 

Just about every board goes off the whole person concept, but every board is different in culture and personality... Overall, I think it does help. You have demonstrated that you enjoy flying enough to continue pursuing it, you are dedicated and capable of keeping up with an accelerated course, and that you can handle an aircraft.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, mcmdad50 said:

Hello everyone

Thanks in advance!

Any update on how this is going? I am a senior in high school with dreams of flying in the military, I will have my associates degree by the time I finish high school and was looking at going to school first at University of North Dakota for their aviation program and then applying for a pilot seat (preferably fixed wing) through OTS or OCS in the Navy. Recently I was talked into speaking with a recruiter from the Army National Guard where I was told they could pay for my school through ROTC while also receiving my monthly pay. Then post graduation/commission I could switch over to ANG and fly. This was very intriguing to me but I would like to know the truth in this or if this was him selling ARNG to me. This is my first post on here and I am new to online threads so any response helps and thanks in advance!