Baseops Forums
Riddles

Exception to Policy

Has anyone ever successfully received an exception to policy letter after receiving an SRB for OTS? I am in a situation that I have one shot for OTS (November 2019 board) before I have to re-enlist. I think that I would be stupid to not take the bonus as I have no guarantees of ever getting an OTS slot, but it's tough to know I will have to wait 2-3 more years for my goal of an officer slot. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice? 

That’s a rough one, the bonus will take away your ability to go ANG/AFRC as a pilot or officer, is that what you want?

On 12/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, matmacwc said:

That’s a rough one, the bonus will take away your ability to go ANG/AFRC as a pilot or officer, is that what you want?

I am trying to apply Active Duty OTS before I try to get into the ANG since I am currently active and don't really have plans to leave.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:51 AM, Riddles said:

I am trying to apply Active Duty OTS before I try to get into the ANG since I am currently active and don't really have plans to leave.

So don't take the bonus

On 12/8/2018 at 11:30 AM, matmacwc said:

So don't take the bonus

The only reason I am hesitant to do this is I have no guarantee of getting into OTS. I am willing to not take the bonus if that is the only option, but I was curious if anyone has ever seen one of these get approved. 

No one has guarantees they will get a chance at their dream. Grab a pair and make a decision. The bonus or chance and possibility of failure at your dream. Regrets are a bitch if you don’t make a decision, either way you go.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, Riddles said:

The only reason I am hesitant to do this is I have no guarantee of getting into OTS. I am willing to not take the bonus if that is the only option, but I was curious if anyone has ever seen one of these get approved. 

I don’t think you are hearing us, you give up trying for an AFRC pilot slot if you take the enlisted bonus, you tie your own hands.  Balls in your court.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, Riddles said:

I was in your same boat in 2004.  I didn't take a $72K bonus as a SrA so I could preserve my options.  Instead I applied to OTS during a time when AD selection rates were around 5%.  I have no regrets.  I've still never taken a bonus, and I still have no regrets.  Everything has an opportunity cost, and I chose to 'spend' those lost bonus dollars on freedom of maneuver.