Exception to Policy

Riddles

Has anyone ever successfully received an exception to policy letter after receiving an SRB for OTS? I am in a situation that I have one shot for OTS (November 2019 board) before I have to re-enlist. I think that I would be stupid to not take the bonus as I have no guarantees of ever getting an OTS slot, but it's tough to know I will have to wait 2-3 more years for my goal of an officer slot. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice? 

On 12/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, matmacwc said:

That’s a rough one, the bonus will take away your ability to go ANG/AFRC as a pilot or officer, is that what you want?

I am trying to apply Active Duty OTS before I try to get into the ANG since I am currently active and don't really have plans to leave.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:30 AM, matmacwc said:

So don't take the bonus

The only reason I am hesitant to do this is I have no guarantee of getting into OTS. I am willing to not take the bonus if that is the only option, but I was curious if anyone has ever seen one of these get approved. 

On 12/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, Riddles said:

The only reason I am hesitant to do this is I have no guarantee of getting into OTS. I am willing to not take the bonus if that is the only option, but I was curious if anyone has ever seen one of these get approved. 

I don’t think you are hearing us, you give up trying for an AFRC pilot slot if you take the enlisted bonus, you tie your own hands.  Balls in your court.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, Riddles said:

I was in your same boat in 2004.  I didn't take a $72K bonus as a SrA so I could preserve my options.  Instead I applied to OTS during a time when AD selection rates were around 5%.  I have no regrets.  I've still never taken a bonus, and I still have no regrets.  Everything has an opportunity cost, and I chose to 'spend' those lost bonus dollars on freedom of maneuver.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 2:19 PM, matmacwc said:

I don’t think you are hearing us, you give up trying for an AFRC pilot slot if you take the enlisted bonus, you tie your own hands.  Balls in your court.

Understood on that part. My question is more geared towards if anyone has ever done it for active duty. 

On 12/15/2018 at 7:55 AM, HU&W said:

I was in your same boat in 2004.  I didn't take a $72K bonus as a SrA so I could preserve my options.  Instead I applied to OTS during a time when AD selection rates were around 5%.  I have no regrets.  I've still never taken a bonus, and I still have no regrets.  Everything has an opportunity cost, and I chose to 'spend' those lost bonus dollars on freedom of maneuver.

Out of curiousity, did you not want to attempt to get an exception to policy or were you told that you wouldn't get one? 

Take the bonus. I took a re-enlistment bonus and commission before the bonus ended. Just keep in mind that big blue will take their money back eventually. Took almost 3 years before they took it from my check, but thanks to big blue I had a 3 year no interest loan.

17 hours ago, gonefishin said:

Take the bonus. I took a re-enlistment bonus and commission before the bonus ended. Just keep in mind that big blue will take their money back eventually. Took almost 3 years before they took it from my check, but thanks to big blue I had a 3 year no interest loan.

How exactly did this work if you don't mind me asking? If I took the bonus now I would have two years before I could potentially go to OTS at the earliest. Was the amount that you had to pay back pro rated for the time that you still served enlisted?

Having had paid back a bonus before, beware that when you receive the bonus it will be taxed. When you pay it back, you pay back the pro rated amount before tax. 

Idk how your bonus works in terms of the payment plan, whether its like 15k up front for the first 3 years then 5k a year for the next 3 or 5k a year for 6 years. But if you are going to be in for 2-3 years enlisted take it. Say you got 15k (lets call it 12k after tax) and only did 2 years. Worst case scenario you owe 5k back and that leaves a free 7k for you.

Best case scenario you take the 15k and take the commision right before you get the 5k per year and then you owe nothing. You should be cognizant of what that pay date is though cause if you take the 5k (4k after taxes) then commision the next day you owe 5k back.

But that being said if you are doing 2-3 years I would for sure take the bonus. But be responsible so you have the money to pay back or be ready to have it taken from your paycheck.

@jonlbs I am eligible for a lower end bonus now (~24k before taxes) if I reenlist for the maximum time limit I can. I cannot apply to the OTS board until November. If selected for that board then I will not leave until 2021 at a minimum. 

As far as how the payment plan would work, I contacted my local MPF and they stated that 50% would be processed immediately and typically get to me in about a month. Then every year after I would received the remaining bonus split into payments, so I imagine it would be 2k a year before taxes.

Talking with MPF today, AFPC, and my leadership today I decided that I am more than likely going to hold off for the time being. I am scheduled to deploy to a tax free zone sometime after the board and will go to a higher multiplier if I wait and selection does not occur. I will more than likely attempt to get an ETP after this time for any future boards as I would have the money saved and it would all be tax free, so I would avoid what you mentioned in your post and was also mentioned to me by my leadership. 

In the event that next September they announce that the bonus will be going away then I will more than likely take it while it is available but use the option of delaying the payment until after board results come out, which at that time it will be close enough to the board that I can exercise this option. I think this is the best course that I should take unless there is something that I am missing. Thanks for the information. 

How exactly did this work if you don't mind me asking? If I took the bonus now I would have two years before I could potentially go to OTS at the earliest. Was the amount that you had to pay back pro rated for the time that you still served enlisted?

I took a 6 year bonus, was paid for 5. I commissioned 4 years into it and had to pay back 1 year.