Join Spouse for UPT Studs

Starfox

Go RPA. You’ll likely get the same assignments and be able to stay together for your commitment. Anything else will likely have you deploying on a different cycle. And I imagine you do want your marriage to last. So pick something that you guys will get to be together. Unless that ain’t important.

1 hour ago, Starfox said:

Thank you all for your responses and information. 

Neither of us have any true aspirations for fighters. We both think A-10s and B-1s would be pretty neat, but we understand that realistically that probably won’t happen, especially with Join Spouse.

We have our sights set on primarily anything AFSOC, as we’ve both extensively worked with that community. We’re also both linguists, so to fly on aircraft that lingusits fly on (except for NSAv) would be pretty cool. NSAv, Gunships, MC-130s, and U-28s is what we’re hoping for in that order. RC-135s wouldn’t be the end of the world for me, but it would be for her, haha. Aside from that, I suppose we’re pretty open. If we can’t get a mission we’re particularly passionate about, then we’ll try for aircraft that have good duty station we wouldn’t mind living in. Most important thing is staying together. I personally have been fortunate enough to have a very rewarding/cool career to where I feel I can do something not as sexy in order to be with her. 

War007afa, what question might that be?

Once again, thank you all for your insights.

I know two couples in AFSOC that were successful at working their assignments. Both couples were FAIPs, one decided to roll the dice, both were able to get gunships as a second assignment. Other couple didn’t want to risk it and volunteered for RPAs. 

6 hours ago, viper154 said:

I know two couples in AFSOC that were successful at working their assignments. Both couples were FAIPs, one decided to roll the dice, both were able to get gunships as a second assignment. Other couple didn’t want to risk it and volunteered for RPAs. 

I’ll agree with most posters that’d say to aim for the mission that interests both of you first. If AFSOC doesnt wind up in the cards though, and your priorities shift to simply wanting to be stationed together, you should consider helos, especially Hueys. I’ve seen a lot of joint spouse situations work well for those guys, with the added benefit that deployments come much less frequently for them than just about any other USAF airframe. 

For sure the mission isn’t nearly as cool, but the flying is a blast, and depending on your lifestyle, the bases are do-able. 

PM me if you (or anyone else) has any questions about Rucker or the rotary side of the house. 

AFI specifically prohibits Join Spouse as a consideration for initial assignment selection out of UPT.  With that said, grabbing something that is not as competitive to a base with a wide mission set is your best bet to unofficially get stationed together or at least close.

Edit:  It has been three years since I was a Flt/CC and worked assignments.  Perhaps the AFI changed, but if I were you I would get smart on it, specifically the 36-2205v4 (or whatever replaced it).

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite

11 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

AFI specifically prohibits Join Spouse as a consideration for initial assignment selection out of UPT. 

Whether it is still in the AFI or not joint spouse consideration for UPT studs is near the top of the list when deciding assignments. 

Edited by Boomer6
Words.

5 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Whether it is still in the AFI or not joint spouse consideration for UPT studs is near the top of the list when deciding assignments. 

Unofficially we would try to make it work, but no way would a top 3rd kid get bumped for a bottom 3rd kid just for Join Spouse consideration.  Maybe up or down a spot or two tops to massage it, since assignments do come down to Flt/CC discretion, but beyond those one or two spots it gets really hard to defend. 

As with all things the most important thing the student can do is be successful and take control of their destiny.

59 minutes ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

Unofficially we would try to make it work, but no way would a top 3rd kid get bumped for a bottom 3rd kid just for Join Spouse consideration.  Maybe up or down a spot or two tops to massage it, since assignments do come down to Flt/CC discretion, but beyond those one or two spots it gets really hard to defend. 

As with all things the most important thing the student can do is be successful and take control of their destiny.

Agreed. I'm not saying I've seen people lose their assignments over a classmate that is married, but I have seen a non-fighter turn into a fighter for a married stud. 

On 11/23/2018 at 4:11 PM, Starfox said:

Random question/probably not uncommon situation   

I just got picked up for OTS to be a pilot (hooray!) and my soon-to-be-wife is leaving for OTS to be a pilot in a couple of months as well. We’re both Prior-Es. We’re very optimistic we can both get the same base for UPT, so that’s not the issue, and even if it were, not the end of the world. More importantly, in all of yours guys’ experience, how does Join Spouse work for two pilots starting out? She’ll be ahead of me in the pipeline about 6 months. We’re *hoping* she gets an aircraft and then I can just get that same one at drop night 6 months later, but I’ve been in the Air Force far too long to get excited about that actually happening.

What do you think will realistically happen with us? Does her getting a rare drop hurt our chances? Will they FAIP us? Does anything actually matter? TIA!

I’ve seen this crash and burn so many times, I’ve seen it work 1 time.  And I’ve been around for a while...sorry

Here's some anecdotal thoughts based on what I've seen amongst friends in this situation over the years.  Short answer opinion: Tracking T-1s and FAIPing is highest chance of desired outcome...see below for reasoning.

1. FAIPing together gives you at least 3 years post-UPT together.  Even though she's 6 month ahead in UPT, they could align you guys on the same VML down the road to help increase the chances of getting a join spouse assignment to the same aircraft. Not a guarantee of course, but you probably have a higher chance of it working out vs. her assigning X aircraft 6 months ahead of you and you crossing fingers the same aircraft is available in your drop.

2. (N/A if you go to ENJJPT) Consider track and decide if living together is more or less important than what you want to fly.  You don't know how either of you will perform or what the T-38/T-1 availability will be 6 months apart.  T-1s is the more sure bet based on slots available.  If she goes 38s 6 months ahead of you, it's higher risk you don't end up in the same track and thus a lot less likely to be in the same aircraft down the road.

Bottom line, I've seen several couples make it happen who ended up in the same aircraft, but generally one of them ends up getting out ASAP.  I've seen different-aircraft couples fall apart.  I've also seen most of my female counterparts love the idea of flying in their early 20s, but despise their 10 yr ADSC and the AD lifestyle when they want to have kids and stop working 12-15 hrs a day, want to be at home with the kids, etc.  It creates a real problem for them, and ultimately they suck up shitty non-flying jobs, balance being an officer/mom/wife, and their husband continues to fly while they punch at the first chance.  I'm not judging those couples who go down this road or their decisions to stay/go, but its a real challenge you both should talk about.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, brabus said:

Bottom line, I've seen several couples make it happen who ended up in the same aircraft, but generally one of them ends up getting out ASAP.  I've seen different-aircraft couples fall apart.  I've also seen most of my female counterparts love the idea of flying in their early 20s, but despise their 10 yr ADSC and the AD lifestyle when they want to have kids and stop working 12-15 hrs a day, want to be at home with the kids, etc.  It creates a real problem for them, and ultimately they suck up shitty non-flying jobs, balance being an officer/mom/wife, and their husband continues to fly while they punch at the first chance.  I'm not judging those couples who go down this road or their decisions to stay/go, but its a real challenge you both should talk about.

See bolded. Bro, kudos on one of the most candid and on-point assessments of female military pilot dynamics out there. I've said that shit offline a couple times and get tar/feathered. It is def not a politically correct assessment, but it's hella repeatable and easy to illustrate for those without an axe to grind, let alone those who resemble the remark.

Let's not even get started on how these dynamics create tension and a sense of inequity in the squadron when it comes to deployment cycles, work schedules while in garrison, and even post-separation working expectations, especially in the dual pilot couple household. Again, my experience with acquaintances on the post-separation side of things, tracks 100% batting average what you highlight. Problem is that 'thirsty' won't see what they don't want to see. So you're spinning your wheels with these types. Or that poor fuck I know that forewent a Viper for a bomber so wifie T-6 FAIP could join spouse with him, even though wouldn't stop the lamentations in the bar when not in mixed company (aka wifie not there). Just a god damn self-imposed heartbreak. Not all baby turtles make it to the ocean; I used to say that about UPT grads, but Jesus these days it's the late rate Capts, priors, or  FAIPS going into second assignment the ones that look in need of better adulting mentorship. LOL

• Like 1