Blue Skies and Tailwinds Hook

olevelo

We lost a great one this weekend, Chris “Hook” Dupin. He was a board member here (although not active for awhile). Hook was a an F-15 WSO, TPS grad, and about to separate to the Reserves (I don’t think it had been finalized yet but I could be wrong). He owned a flight school in Destin and was really building it up, which was one of the reasons he was separating.

Hook was flying with a student in his RV-12 (I actually flew with him in it the day after he bought it for the company) and crashed shortly after takeoff. He survived the crash but succumbed to his injuries a few hours later.

I’ve been at a complete loss for words since I found out a couple days ago. I didn’t know him as well as many (and it’s obvious from the posts on Facebook about how loved he was), but I knew him well enough to know he was one of the best officers and men that I knew. We started a charity together a couple years ago to help send vets to flight training that some of you may remember us posting about here. He loved flying more than anything (other than his wife, and even she questioned that!).

Sometimes I really hate airplanes.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20181119/victims-identified-in-niceville-plane-crash-photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I can’t believe that was Hook.  My wife and I saw the plane laying there after the fact and had no idea it was him.  

I first met Hook when he was inquiring about my Reserve Squadron at Duke Field.  

Definitely a sad day...   

20 hours ago, DufresnePartyOf2 said:

Sorry for your loss. I really hate to hear that. This business seems especially cruel lately.

:jd:   

True, not sure about letting the frau know about all these accidents as I spin up for my own PPL check ride.  Saw the posting about the RV-12 accident over at VansAirForce website but didn't know about the BODN connection.

Thoughts and prayers for Hook's family.

:beer:  Him, him

I've had a hard time coming up with what to say about Hook.

Nothing I seem to write is fitting enough, so I'll just say blue skies and tailwinds on your flight west, brother Hook.  It was an honor and a pleasure to be your friend, squadronmate, and fellow aviator.

Edited by Hacker
  • Like 3

I’ve been devastated ever since I heard the news early Sunday. What a tragic loss. Hook was such an inspiring person. I got the pleasure of flying with him a few times years ago at the Eglin Aero club. Here is a pic of when he asked me to join him to fly his Champ to a local Fly-in. Nickel on the grass. 

67DAC5FE-0E14-4994-9C67-76D2D04B921E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I’ve been devastated ever since I heard the news early Sunday. What a tragic loss. Hook was such an inspiring person. I got the pleasure of flying with him a few times years ago at the Eglin Aero club. Here is a pic of when he asked me to join him to fly his Champ to a local Fly-in. Nickel on the grass. 
67DAC5FE-0E14-4994-9C67-76D2D04B921E.jpeg.842b14ec3141ffacab8d58764da8e20a.jpeg

That’s the Champ that he donated as part of our charity raffle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk