Tentative rating of where I stand

I am trying to figure out where I would fair for OTS and UPT selection and what I should focus on. I have recently contacted a recruiter but haven't heard anything back yet. I just started a PhD program but am reconsidering my life in research science. I've started studying for the AFOQT, but feel fairly confident at my ability to score high. I have a good math and science background. I'm also a paramedic and been involved in EMS for nearly 10 years.

Undergrad: molecular biology 3.18gpa

Masters degree: molecular biology 3.65 GPA

High scores on the GRE 

94th percentile verbal reasoning

60th percentile quantitative reasoning

I'm 27, I'm in really good physical condition and I think I could easily make >90 on a pt test. Besides obviously needing to take the AFOQT what else should I work on? I'm planning on attending a ground school at the local flight school, but I'm not sure if I can afford any actual flight time. Is my age going to be a big factor? I would still be able to start UPT by 30, but probably only by a few months. Will my EMS experience be a factor? I led small groups in fairly dynamic emergency situations.

• 5 weeks later...

The first question is if you want to do Active Duty or the Guard/Reserves. If the first, then you better get that ball rolling so you can secure a pilot slot and get into UPT. If it's the latter, you better grease the ball because rushing/visiting units and getting picked up can take multiple years. Looks like your scores are good as of now but you do need to take the AFOQT and TBAS to get those scores. Also, your EMS experience can be very valuable leadership experience, especially in interviews. Good luck!

It’s hard to say where you stand until you take your AFOQT and TBAS. You are getting close to needing an age waiver (I’m in the same boat), a lot of places assume youll need one of you are over 28 or 28.5 because of how long the process takes once you’re hired.

Get your tests taken ASAP. Get an AFOQT prep book and work hard over the holidays studying. Take the practice tests and take them timed. The only hard part of the AFOQT is finishing everything in the time allotted.

Once you do that, you can schedule your TBAS. There’s not much you can do to prep for it, but there are some flash cards online for part of it and other valuable information online if you search.

Otherwise, you should do well. I wouldn’t waste much money on ground school, honestly. It’d be better to get even a little bit of flight time. At least try to solo if you can’t afford a PPL.

Update here when you get your scores and I’m sure people can give you some more input!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

My AFOQT scores were pilot 54/ Nav 86/ AA 66/V86/Q44, PCSM 19 with one flight hour. I was told before taking the TBAS that with my pilot score about the best I could get for a PCSM was 20, so from that I'm assuming I did well on the TBAS. I plan on retaking the AFOQT when I can. I need to work on the math, I'm obviously a biologist and not an engineer. I have 5 solid LORs from previous EMS directors, coworkers and a professor that's a department chair. I also plan on getting at least 6 flight hours if not 11.

My AFOQT scores were pilot 54/ Nav 86/ AA 66/V86/Q44, PCSM 19 with one flight hour. I was told before taking the TBAS that with my pilot score about the best I could get for a PCSM was 20, so from that I'm assuming I did well on the TBAS. I plan on retaking the AFOQT when I can. I need to work on the math, I'm obviously a biologist and not an engineer. I have 5 solid LORs from previous EMS directors, coworkers and a professor that's a department chair. I also plan on getting at least 6 flight hours if not 11.

What would your PCSM be at 201 hrs? That helps give a good idea of where you stand.

But I’d consider taking the AFOQT again. Make sure you study. I took about a month before mind, got a good prep book and studied hard. Then I took the practice tests, timing each section, each night. I’m almost positive that that’s a large part of why I did well.

6 minutes ago, N730 said:

What would your PCSM be at 201 hrs? That helps give a good idea of where you stand.

But I’d consider taking the AFOQT again. Make sure you study. I took about a month before mind, got a good prep book and studied hard. Then I took the practice tests, timing each section, each night. I’m almost positive that that’s a large part of why I did well.

With 201+ hours it would be a 59

Okay so do I have a shot at an AD board with 93P/85N/84AA/86V/76Q and a 69 PCSM with 0 flight hours? I've seen AD boards take lower, and I'm only 23 so I have a ton of retainability but I recently made E-4 and don't have that much job/leadership experience yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry to hijack a thread, I'm new a didn't feel my post warranted it's own thread.

11 hours ago, BigDaddi said:

Okay so do I have a shot at an AD board with 93P/85N/84AA/86V/76Q and a 69 PCSM with 0 flight hours? I've seen AD boards take lower, and I'm only 23 so I have a ton of retainability but I recently made E-4 and don't have that much job/leadership experience yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry to hijack a thread, I'm new a didn't feel my post warranted it's own thread.

I'd say you have a better than average shot. But, yeah, make your own thread for that if you want more replies.

12 hours ago, Molecular medic said:

With 201+ hours it would be a 59

I'd try to boost that guy up. At the very least before your retake, I would recommend a discovery ride to get yourself acquainted with the controls more.