ANG A-10 Makes Emergency Landing After Partial Loss of Canopy

M2

Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet...

ANG A-10 Makes Emergency Landing After Partial Loss of Canopy

On Nov. 7, 2018 at about 12:30 pm local time, the 185th Air Refueling Wing received notification of an in-flight emergency from an Air National Guard A-10. The pilot, a member of the Idaho Air National Guard, reported a partial loss of the aircraft's canopy.

Shortly after reporting the in-flight emergency, members of the 185th Air Refueling Wing prepared to respond to the emergency landing. The pilot was able to safely land the aircraft without further incident.

The pilot was evaluated by medical personnel and appears to be uninjured...

(Full article at title link)

Nice (fake) pic!  

A-10_withot_canopi.jpg

20 minutes ago, Standby said:

Someone forgot to read the fine print. If only the editor knew how to spell canopy. 

(Note: this image has been modified with the removal of the canopi to better explain the fact).”

Who actually reads the articles now days 🙂

It's been done before..

79-0219.jpg.d371704e82150f7e1f7accbde3cbafca.jpg

80-0219 crashed on 4 April 1989 after doing a touch-and-go at RAF Alconbury due to a flashlight being left in the throttles assembly.  Pilot ejected.

That little beauty now stands proudly at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum! :airforce:

80-0219.thumb.jpg.6a6491962903ac4e51ff07b79fd647f9.jpg

9 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

The story may be real, but that picture is a shitty photoshop.

What picture are you talking about?  This one?

A-10-Canopy.jpg

Yes, they fucked it up for some reason while adding the red arrow; but the unaltered version is clearer...

A-10-no-canopy.jpg

It's from this video:

https://www.siouxlandproud.com/news/local-news/emergency-landing-made-at-sioux-gateway-airport/1579184401

Source of pics: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/ang-a-10-makes-emergency-landing-after-partial-loss-of-canopy/

Damn, you are correct!  I guess my attention to detail is fading in my old age.  The jet was from Ft Wayne, and not a FT bird at KAF with a live load!  Fucking fake news! :banghead:

No automatic alt text available.

• Upvote 1

In ancient times a good friend who was an F-4 pilot got a letter of commendation from the PACAF/CC after he landed without a front canopy.

He was commended because when ask what happened to his canopy answered “I intended to lower the flaps but for some reason I opened the canopy instead”.

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

291 is at Bentwaters???  It crashed right before I PCS'd to Alconbury, and I'm 99% sure I saw it when I drove through the base 5 years ago.  

It was moved from Molesworth over the Bentwaters in May 2016 and, thank God, repainted!   It now sits just outside the museum (the old Command Post)...

Image result for 80-0219

As far as I know, the fiberglass F-5 still sits outside the gate at Molesworth.

12 hours ago, JimNtexas said:

In ancient times a good friend who was an F-4 pilot got a letter of commendation from the PACAF/CC after he landed without a front canopy.

He was commended because when ask what happened to his canopy answered “I intended to lower the flaps but for some reason I opened the canopy instead”.

He wouldn't have happened to be with the 142 FW would he?