Rate my Chances - Age Waiver Required

rartaz

I am currently putting an application together for Portland, New Orleans, and Vermont (and any other ANG fighter units that come up over the next several months).

I just got my scores back from AFOQT and TBAS:

AFOQT:
Pilot: 94
Nav: 97
Acad Aptitude: 99
Verbal: 99
Quantitative: 99

PCSM:
63, based on 10 flight hours
I will have over 20 when I actually apply bringing my score to 71, with a max of 91 with 201+.

I also wanted to get advice on letters of recommendation, as I don't have many contacts within the military.  Would it be better to get a letter from someone I don't know as well who is in the military or someone whom I have worked with for a while? 

I am going to visit Portland December 1st, and planning on visiting New Orleans early next year.

The big kicker is I am about to turn 31, so I will require an age waiver.  I know I would have a much better chance with heavies (certainly not a given, just a better shot), but just wanted to get some feedback on how I look for fighters in particular.

Any advice would be helpful - thanks.

Hey,

I visited the 123d last week and am going back in December as well.  Awesome group of dudes!

As I'm sure you know, your AFOQT scores are pretty kick ass.  The current PCSM is a bit low, but that seems to be more because of low flight hours.  Your 201+ score is good at 90+ so they may look at that.  I'd definitely recommend trying to knock out your PPL if you can before you submit apps, most posts around here seem to imply that it's a nice box to have checked for fighter squadrons.

The good thing is that the 123d Sq/CC said they'd be willing to work waivers for the right person, and that included age waivers, so you're definitely not 100% out due to that.  Kick ass and be a good dude as see what happens!

One last thing to look into is BogiDope for their packet review and/or interview prep.  I know it's $$ but everyone says they're well worth it.

Good luck!  

• 1 month later...

Good AFOQT, not so great PCSM. Having your PPL will help a lot. As for age waivers for fighter units, I've heard stranger things happen but as it has been said before, that's the exception not the rule. It will come down to you having good scores to catch squadrons eyes, and then going to every meet and greet you can and hitting it off with the pilots. They must REALLY like you in order for anything to happen, so that's going to be your best bet. Otherwise heavies is another great option. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2018 at 2:06 PM, Seadogs said:

Good AFOQT, not so great PCSM. Having your PPL will help a lot. As for age waivers for fighter units, I've heard stranger things happen but as it has been said before, that's the exception not the rule. It will come down to you having good scores to catch squadrons eyes, and then going to every meet and greet you can and hitting it off with the pilots. They must REALLY like you in order for anything to happen, so that's going to be your best bet. Otherwise heavies is another great option. 

It's not great, but it's damn good. A re-test maaaaaybe would be worth it, but it's not a huge concern.