VA Disability

chizz

I separated active duty (12 yrs), went guard in 2014, and may retire at the end of the yr.  I did not initially file for disability because I thought it would hurt my chances getting picked up with a unit or transferring units if I had a rating (WRONG).  So I am filing right now.  Went in for my initial appointment and he said since it has been over a year from active duty I am required to provide NEXUS statements for everything in my active duty medical records.  I thought those were black and white?  Has anyone filed after the year point of separating from active duty and had to do that?  Any issues you ran into or key wording I should ensure the doc puts in there?

thanks

Get a doctor to write a Nexus letter claiming any issues that you’re claiming were due to your Active Duty. If you have any medical issues that were documented in your military medical records during your time, that shouldn’t need a Nexus letter. Also, talk to a good VSO to help you.

• 3 months later...

Thread hijack. Does this check with you guys? Separated AD 30 Nov, VA claim effective 1 Dec. The VA guy said that you don’t get any payment for the first 30 days and the first check will be Feb 1 paying for the month of January. (No December payment)

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

6 hours ago, Duck said:

Thread hijack. Does this check with you guys? Separated AD 30 Nov, VA claim effective 1 Dec. The VA guy said that you don’t get any payment for the first 30 days and the first check will be Feb 1 paying for the month of January. (No December payment)

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Congrats. I had the exact same happen to me. We’re on identical timelines.

@Duck i wouldn’t say there much “thought” at all behind it. I bet it’s one of those things that have just always been and now its SOP buried under 32,847 layers of beaurocracy and incompetence leading to it never being “fixed.”

but then again when we die we’ll theoretically get the next months payment so we’re getting paid for that month just after we’re dead 🤔

• Like 1