AD or Guard Help

So let me start off by saying that I am currently an Active Duty 0-2, and all i want to do is fly. I have close to 4 years in and with another 1.5 years left on my ADSC. 26 yrs old and no medical conditions. I have applied for the 2019 AD UFT board with hopes of getting picked up. During this process, almost all of the pilots whom I work with were telling me about applying to become guard. From what i hear the OPS tempo is much more chill, UPT is less stressful (know what platform already), and the Qweep (additional duties outside of flying) are negligible compared to AD side (Biggest upside according to them). From their advice i am now looking to apply to some units close to home. My question, for all of you who have been through it before, is the guard really like these fairytales the pilots are telling me? Ideally i would like to have an airline job while doing the whole "part-time traditional gig". Would the guard put me on active orders for a year or so to build hours after UPT? Afterwards would i be competitive when applying to these airliners? Finally, does anyone have any good templates to use for a Resume/Introduction Letter?  Thanks in advance.

Of course this is assuming the fact that I get picked up for either AD/Guard pilot slot.