What are my chances?

borger86

Hi Everyone, 

I'm looking for advice on which are my best options for getting my commissioning and going to UPT. I'm currently working as a Test Engineer at Northrop Grumman, have been working in the Aerospace/Defense industry for 6 years and have obtained my single engine airplane private, instrument, and commercial ratings on my own. I understand I will need an age waiver. The AD recruiter I'm in contact with has told me the current AD board is not considering anyone requiring an age waiver.  I'm putting out applications to every ANG unit that I can as well as getting the ball rolling with an AFRC recruiter for the unsponsored route.  I have no wife and kids and would be willing to pick up and move anywhere. I'm open to flying any manned airframe, just don't want drones.

I'm curious if you all think I have a decent shot at going to UPT at my age.  I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Thanks to everyone posting on this forum, its been a great resource to me. 

• Major/College GPA: Mechanical Engineering 3.2
  • AFOQT: 97/79/96/95/90
  • PCSM: 92
  • Flight Hours: 270 Total Time, Single-Engine Commercial with Instrument Rating
  • LORs: 5; 2 CFI's, 2 lead engineers at Boeing and Northrop Grumman, 1 Chief Test Pilot Northrop Grumman
  • Prior Service Experience:  None but have worked on Military/NASA contracts my entire career

You’ve got a pretty solid shot with some great scores. If you’re happy with a seat over picky about a particular airframe, I’d be hard-pressed to imagine you don’t get scooped up pretty quick.

You won’t be able to do the Unsponsored route because the age waiver (actually it’s an ETP for us non-prior guys) requires sponsorship, so that option is likely off the table. 

In my experience and in talking to folks on here, Reserves route can be a “quicker” route with things moving along faster. ANG seems to be pretty slow approving waivers, with kickbacks of them for clerical errors or even as a whole at different levels. You’ll also have to do everything through your specific sponsoring unit (MEPS, FC1, etc.), so it’s hard to get a jump on that stuff before you’re picked up since that specific unit is cutting your orders (over a recruiter over many units) for things. 

Lastly, your age requires the ETP, but you’re not far into waiver territory and it shouldn’t be hard to get through.

Good luck out there! This forum is a great resource, so utilize it!

The comment about the AD board not accepting age waivers is false.  The board this go is allowing people up to age 33 apply.  Granted this is if you are active duty already, so depending on whether they will let you apply to the OTS board for pilot might be a different story.  What I'm getting at is Guard is good option and you got scores to back it up, but if you like the idea of going the AD flying route, don't necessarily write it off yet.

Currently picked up on the AD side with two approved ETPs along with an approved medical waiver... stay after it if it's what you want.

Edited by Mr.Elephant

On 10/26/2018 at 8:25 PM, Mr.Elephant said:

The comment about the AD board not accepting age waivers is false.  The board this go is allowing people up to age 33 apply.  Granted this is if you are active duty already, so depending on whether they will let you apply to the OTS board for pilot might be a different story.  What I'm getting at is Guard is good option and you got scores to back it up, but if you like the idea of going the AD flying route, don't necessarily write it off yet.

Currently picked up on the AD side with two approved ETPs along with an approved medical waiver... stay after it if it's what you want.

I would rather fly Active Duty than any other branch however I was under the assumption this was a hard "no" due to my age. I'm willing to pursue this with everything I got but I'm not sure what other avenues are available outside of my recruiter. Should I reach out to a different one? I was thinking a phone call to the Air Force Personnel Center might be worth it as well.

Thanks for everyone's responses. This forum and the people here have been such a valuable resource.

Wish I could give you advice from the OTS side, but not the expert there for sure as I'm a ROTC grad from several years ago.  Maybe someone with experience on that side of the house could chime in.  Also, maybe check out this thread:

Rarely is anything a "hard no".  Have I seen a few cases where waivers have been denied?... yes. But then again those are typically the exception.  Everyone thought there was no way the AD age limit would be waived... and then one day the general signed a memo saying that as long as you're under 33 you can apply.  That was specifically for the board that just closed out, but I'd recommend talking to a different recruiter armed with some of this info.  The AD board is typically for those who are already commissioned and are trying to cross train, but I've seen exceptions for practically everything.  Best of luck out there.