Tyndall had a measured gust of 129MPH before the weather instrument failed.

Below is a picture of Mexico Beach which as Danger41 mentioned is devastated.  Many military families from Tyndall live in Mexico Beach. 

Mexico.jpg

Tyndall Air Force Base took a direct hit from Hurricane Michael. The base has sustained extensive damage. The Ride Out Element will conduct initial damage assessments when it is safe to do so.

Michael was a Category 4 hurricane when it made landfall, with catastrophic wind speeds.

There have been no injuries reported on Tyndall at this time.

Teams will work diligently to recover the base in the coming weeks. The storm brought down trees and power lines. It removed roofs from buildings and caused significant structural damage.

The conditions of the runway is unknown at this time.

The base commander ordered a mandatory evacuation of base personnel Monday, Oct. 8. This evacuation order remains in effect until further notice. Evacuated personnel should make plans for an extended time away from the base. Base officials do not have an estimate at this time for when it will be safe to return.

17 hours ago, herkbum said:

Dude sitting outside Tyndall main gate when eye wall hit.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bo5NxzIyNjQ5ODR8MU95SkFRV09xeW9KYkKrH5qtJnOuBdGaCtKpNjP-EkwO_K3u8DZVkr8ZYjL5?t=3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Incredible footage.  I watched the whole thing waiting for that stop light to disappear.  

5 minutes ago, herkbum said:

Mexico Beach

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Holy shit. So sad.  Honestly looks like Mosul and Raqqa after the push. Curious what the base looks like. 

My wife was asking me what happens to the mil families and AD members after a event like this, and I honestly don’t know. PCS to a place that the jets went? TDY with dependents? Send the wife and kids to family while the AD member lives in a hotel?

2 hours ago, viper154 said:

Holy shit. So sad.  Honestly looks like Mosul and Raqqa after the push. Curious what the base looks like. 

My wife was asking me what happens to the mil families and AD members after a event like this, and I honestly don’t know. PCS to a place that the jets went? TDY with dependents? Send the wife and kids to family while the AD member lives in a hotel?

After Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead they moved two F-16 squadrons to Moody and one to Luke.  That was tied to a decision to close the active duty portion of the base.  The 482FW and 93 FS remained but the base is 1/3 of what it used to be...actually sad to see what it is today.  They kept the commissary and BX open for a while, then combined them into one, then closed altogether.  Again sad for all the retirees that live down there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

After Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead they moved two F-16 squadrons to Moody and one to Luke.  That was tied to a decision to close the active duty portion of the base.  The 482FW and 93 FS remained but the base is 1/3 of what it used to be...actually sad to see what it is today.  They kept the commissary and BX open for a while, then combined them into one, then closed altogether.  Again sad for all the retirees that live down there.

I was stationed at Nellis when that storm hit Homestead. The Homestead guys had just finished a Flag and rode the storm out in Vegas. Can't imagine the horror of watching/seeing the devastation on TV from a hotel room while your family was so far away and no easy way to contact them in the pre-cell phone era.