On 10/14/2018 at 8:06 AM, Lord Ratner said:

I wonder how many F22s it would have cost to dig underground plane shelters. And no scoffing. If we can land on the moon, build a missile tracking base in a mountain, and drive floating airports all over the ocean, we could have built a few big basements for planes as small as fighters in hurricane land.

You’re a special kind of stupid aintcha?

• Upvote 1

You’re a special kind of stupid aintcha?
I guess so. I'm not sure which is crazier, this tunnel, which is clearly impossible given the water table and hurricane activity in the region, or that a bunch of educated adults who literally fly through the air on the magic of (decades-old) human innovation think that we couldn't find a way protect small airplanes from wind and water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Miami_Tunnel
  • Like 1

Asking if we have erred strategically in placing such a large fleet of expensive assets in harm's way is a valid question.  It's an ORM problem akin to a preflight ORM.  There is a level of acceptable risk with each mission and with each basing decision.  Looking to see if this risk was appropriately evaluated is pretty much what we do anytime there is an aircraft mishap.

We have plenty of AF assets in tornado alley.  Lots of others sit in other beach-side hurricane zones.  Some sit on earthquake faults.  But, just like any aircraft mishap, we need to look back and decide if the risk was worth the price.

In this case, it was potentially an extremely steep price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

Uhh, yes, they do.

I dunno. I kinda feel like the inconvenience of me always flying around that airspace far exceeds the necessity for someone else to fly in circles within it.

• Haha 1

I guess so. I'm not sure which is crazier, this tunnel, which is clearly impossible given the water table and hurricane activity in the region, or that a bunch of educated adults who literally fly through the air on the magic of (decades-old) human innovation think that we couldn't find a way protect small airplanes from wind and water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Miami_Tunnel

I’m glad someone mentioned this. There are tunnels in coastal cities all over the US, even with the high water table. Houston has no tunnels, but has underground walkways downtown. The issue would be controlling the flooding from a storm surge, but I’m sure that can be figured out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell, I say reopen K.I. Sawyer in the upper peninsula of Michigan, turn and burn over Lake Superior. Learn to love snow and cold weather OP's. Or any other northern tier old remote SAC base.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

Hell, I say reopen K.I. Sawyer in the upper peninsula of Michigan, turn and burn over Lake Superior. Learn to love snow and cold weather OP's. Or any other northern tier old remote SAC base.  

Just don’t drink the water.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, brabus said:

Consider the extra time, money, and depot absorption limfacs to push normal phase externally. Unlikely to be a palatable Plan A. The most cost effective and efficient way forward is likely in the realm of building HAS with weather driving the design (as lawman pointed).

One thing that surprised me about Eglin was why they didn't use all the existing Hardened Aircraft Shelters on the base/reservation to store stuff during hurricanes. I was stationed there 5 times in my career/lots of hurricanes/hurricane prep/evacuations of flyable aircraft and stuffing the broke birds/equipment in hangers, etc. Same fallible drill every time.

Edited by waveshaper
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Prosuper said:

Or Loring. Guys will be back stabbing each other big time to get that gig! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Breckey said:

Just don’t drink the water.

No thats Detroit, KI got water from Lake Superior unfiltered which exceeds the EPA standard.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:49 PM, DFRESH said:

Hey guys, let's refrain from publishing numbers of damaged aircraft, rumint or otherwise, until the DOD releases that information publicly. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

I heard the number is now up to 46 damaged Raptors.

Not sure if serious or...