5 hours ago, Flying Pillows said:

I am just so damn confused. If not fly the damn F-22's out of the hurricane's path, why couldn't they truck them out of there? Why risk an F-22? Feeling confident that the F-35's are coming out now and don't care if all the F-22's blow up? Doesn't make any damn sense. 

The same reason I sometimes park my car in flood zones and chase hail storms.

Daddy needs a new whip.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

To Monday morning QB leaving F-22s behind. First you would need to know how many parts were stripped off these jets so the others could leave. Maybe they had to strip them down to fill up spares kits that were flying to Wright Patterson. When did all mx stop, the Wing CC ordered a mandatory evac? I'm sure ACC gave them OK to leave them, knowing there was not enough time to cann parts from Langley jets to get them to at least NMCA status for 1 time flights to a mx facility. Having driven to Mexico Beach from OKC for my last beach vacation last June I remember thinking it must be a bitch to get out of here in a mass evac, So families and troops not accompanying  the fleet had to be given days notice to get out of Dodge. Now we have a F-22 wing that is homeless, it has to start flying soon to keep up on pilot quals. Most of its support equipment is FUBARd since the AGE stuff you use on F-15's and F-16's will not work on a F-22. I'm sure Dayton Ohio is not a ideal location to run fighter ops,nice museum though. I do not foresee Tyndall closing since it has the QF-16 drone mission and everybody and our allies use it to to do live fire training over the gulf.   

• Upvote 1

I vote Bergstrom, err, I mean Austin.  The dive bar scene on 6th is outstanding.
Out

And the bar scene on Congress is great for former Eagle drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how many F22s it would have cost to dig underground plane shelters. And no scoffing. If we can land on the moon, build a missile tracking base in a mountain, and drive floating airports all over the ocean, we could have built a few big basements for planes as small as fighters in hurricane land.

6 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

I wonder how many F22s it would have cost to dig underground plane shelters. And no scoffing. If we can land on the moon, build a missile tracking base in a mountain, and drive floating airports all over the ocean, we could have built a few big basements for planes as small as fighters in hurricane land.

I submit building a basement on a sandy ocean pennisula at 0' MSL that can pump out 10' of storm surge is much more expensive than making an airplane flyable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I submit building a basement on a sandy ocean pennisula at 0' MSL that can pump out 10' of storm surge is much more expensive than making an airplane flyable.

I can't imagine how they built all those hotels in Miami Beach with this impossible feat of engineering to overcome. Besides, why pump? Wrap the jets in plastic and let it flood. This is not something we should have difficulty overcoming.

32 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

If you dig a hole on Tyndall it will be below the water table and you better have a bunch of pumps working 24/7 to keep it pumped out. Also, there's a storm surge issue.

- Excerpt; Groundwater is under confined table conditions and is found at depths ranging from 1 foot to 10 feet below land surface. The water table is relatively flat at Tyndall AFB but it fluctuates up to 5 feet in response to seasonal rainfall and tidal cycles. Surficial aquifer groundwater flow is regionally south towards the Gulf of Mexico; however, locally shallow groundwater flows toward nearby bayous, streams, and ditches. At site LF001 groundwater flows to the east-southeast. At Tyndall AFB the surficial aquifer system is not used as a water source and regionally is of minor importance as a water source. This aquifer is the most susceptible to contaminant impact and transport because it is both permeable and shallow.

Edited by waveshaper

20 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

I can't imagine how they built all those hotels in Miami Beach with this impossible feat of engineering to overcome. Besides, why pump? Wrap the jets in plastic and let it flood. This is not something we should have difficulty overcoming.

2rz9irl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Good ole fashion - simple revetments (circular) seemed to work well at protecting stuff from wind damage at Tyndall during this hurricane. IMHO, the USAF should build a bunch of these "cheap" circular revetment sites for emergencies like hurricanes (smaller versions for 2 or 3 aircraft each). These sites should be dispersed around the airfield. Also, they would need to have numerous tie down points to secure the aircraft to the ground. These circular revetments sites shouldn't be placed anywhere near the main flight line/hangers/maintenance buildings/etc for obvious reasons.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#19/30.05647/-85.56911

Edited by waveshaper

Probably be better off building earthen structures that have that dome shape like the hurricane houses you see leftover from the 70s.

Don’t need to be huge, just big enough for 2-3 planes... build 4-5 of them for the small number you always expect to be down.

Same basic principle of a HAS just set out from the onset with storms in mind not 500lbs bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#18/30.05615/-85.57014

Now who ever thought of using the trim pad to save equipment is way too smart to be in the USAF.

Edited by Prosuper
spelling
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1