What are My Chances for Active Duty Fighters?

StopLoss123

Hello, Hello,

Here are my "numbers". The reason I put it in quotes, is because these are recent guesstimates extrapolating my future circumstance. I'll know for sure when I take the real test in 2021.

• College GPA: 3.6
  • AFOQT: 92/77/50/60/43
  • PCSM: 65
  • Flight Hours: 40
  • LORs: 3; 2 Pilots Active duty(O-3 and O-4) and 1 retired 0-6 General Serigion - Army. 
  • Prior Service Experience:  Fuels, AF Active duty: E-3.

Career goals: Retire as an air-force fighter pilot. 

Notable Achievements: CAM/ST for the undefeated Mens Airforce Soccer team. 

Thanks,

StopLoss123

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@StopLoss123 From my experience so far, your best chance of actually getting to UPT would be with a Guard or Reserve heavy unit. Active Duty will not do an age waiver. Guard/Reserves do. Reserve/Guard fighter units will not do an age waiver.

Its sad to let you down on your fighter dream, but you do have a good chance of getting to UPT before it’s too late and you are 36. Apply widely and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, katdude said:

@StopLoss123 From my experience so far, your best chance of actually getting to UPT would be with a Guard or Reserve heavy unit. Active Duty will not do an age waiver. Guard/Reserves do. Reserve/Guard fighter units will not do an age waiver.

Its sad to let you down on your fighter dream, but you do have a good chance of getting to UPT before it’s too late and you are 36. Apply widely and hope for the best.

I was hoping to apply with a few guard fighter units this coming year, I see a few on Bogidope coming due on February and March. I turned 30 on August, figured this was probably my one and only shot, I do hear that age waivers are pretty much non existent when it comes to fighters but I figured what the heck, it doesn’t hurt to take the AFOQT/TBAS, submit and see what if, after all, if we don’t try we’ll never know. Worst thing that can happen is we older guys get a no, which is fine and understandable. 

@gatsby I'm getting closer to the age cut-off (28 now) and let me tell you, don't stop until they tell you NO, cause guys get waivers for just about anything short of missing a brain (kidding of course). This is not coming from me, but from POC's and chief hiring members (various fighter squadrons), so to their advice, I'm not letting a number stop me.

If you've got the aptitude and attitude, then go for it. Like I've learned and been told... If there's a will, there's a waiver and where there was a waiver, there was a will.

Edited by iRobot
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:27 PM, StopLoss123 said:

Hello, Hello,

Here are my "numbers". The reason I put it in quotes, is because these are recent guesstimates extrapolating my future circumstance. I'll know for sure when I take the real test in 2021.

• College GPA: 3.6
  • AFOQT: 92/77/50/60/43
  • PCSM: 65
  • Flight Hours: 40
  • LORs: 3; 2 Pilots Active duty(O-3 and O-4) and 1 retired 0-6 General Serigion - Army. 
  • Prior Service Experience:  Fuels, AF Active duty: E-3.

Career goals: Retire as an air-force fighter pilot. 

Notable Achievements: CAM/ST for the undefeated Mens Airforce Soccer team. 

Thanks,

StopLoss123

Bro make sure you're getting into this for the right reasons. 

• Downvote 1

Well, I got through to a few recruiters around the country. And I am going to just humble my self as much as possible doing this job. because that is so important. They don't expect perfection. You just have to try your best.

Nobody is giving me the same answer twice. And they say they hire a new pilot each year in some bases. From both off the streets and promotion from within. From basically any AFSC. Others say they only grant waivers for other officers. But pretty much all of them look highly upon those with prior service in air-force active duty, reserves, or airguard. So if you don't get picked the first time round. You can just join the guard and you will get a big check plus on your application.

• Downvote 1