Baseops Forums
BadGuySplash

Failed private pilot checkride 3 times + low scores

Title says it all. I just failed the FAA private pilot check ride for the third time. My scores aren't the best either: P79 N45 AA55 V76 Q28 PCSM: 68. At this point I can't be picky about which air frame I want to fly, so I'm shooting apps everywhere. I know theres a thread about a guy who failed his check ride once but how bleak is my case? Will I be shown the door immediately if I even get an interview? At a complete lost right now, especially after receiving the rejection from Wisconsin. Really down on myself now and not sure what to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BadGuySplash said:

Title says it all. I just failed the FAA private pilot check ride for the third time. My scores aren't the best either: P79 N45 AA55 V76 Q28 PCSM: 68. At this point I can't be picky about which air frame I want to fly, so I'm shooting apps everywhere. I know theres a thread about a guy who failed his check ride once but how bleak is my case? Will I be shown the door immediately if I even get an interview? At a complete lost right now, especially after receiving the rejection from Wisconsin. Really down on myself now and not sure what to do.

I just want to know who is this CFI who has been re-signing you to re-take your checkride without making damn sure you can pass a mock checkride profile and not just "barely". The checkride isn't all that involved, unless your DPE is a POS. And for the love of god please tell me you haven't taken all three checkrides with the same DPE.

Checkride failures are a part of life man for some of us man. I've buried friends in this business with better checkride records than mine. There's more to life than stressing about a perfect score.  Multiple check fails may make it impossible to get a major airline job, but at the PPL level it matters fuck all, beyond your interviewing unit extrapolating that you will struggle in UPT because of your PPL checkride track record. I can't help you there if that's the perception. Life ain't fair type of deal.

If you've taken the re-checks with the same DPE, just stop and seek a different DPE. Fire your CFI and get with another one to have another hack at you, and see where you're falling short when it comes to pass the PPL ride.

Good luck to ya.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

I just want to know who is this CFI who has been re-signing you to re-take your checkride without making damn sure you can pass a mock checkride profile and not just "barely". The checkride isn't all that involved, unless your DPE is a POS. And for the love of god please tell me you haven't taken all three checkrides with the same DPE.

Checkride failures are a part of life man for some of us man. I've buried friends in this business with better checkride records than mine. There's more to life than stressing about a perfect score.  Multiple check fails may make it impossible to get a major airline job, but at the PPL level it matters all, beyond your interviewing unit extrapolating that you will struggle in UPT because of your PPL checkride track record. I can't help you there if that's the perception. Life ain't fair type of deal.

If you've taken the re-checks with the same DPE, just stop and seek a different DPE. Fire your CFI and get with another one to have another hack at you, and see where you're falling short when it comes to pass the PPL ride.

Good luck to ya.

I've been with the same CFI, though I will say she is scared of stalls and tells me to take the stall only to the stall horn and not a complete stall. I've kept failing on stalls in the air, and sadly it has been with the same DPE. He is giving me a discount on the retests (original test was $900 and each retest has been $500). I feel like I've spent too much money to go to another DPE and retest and retake the Oral which I barely passed apparently. I'll probably give it one more shot and if this doesn't work then I'll have to re-evaluate. Hopefully before I turn in my Oklahoma app too!

Edited by BadGuySplash
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

$900 is an insane amount unless youre adding the cost of the rental, my PPL was $400 and my instrument was $500.  You need to fly with different CFI's and your current DPE is not cutting you any discounts. Honestly I feel like youre either rushing to take a check ride, not preparing like you should, or your CFI is failing you. 

I think failing a PPL checkride isn't a big deal but three failures seem like a trend item and hopefully its not entirely your fault. 

EDIT: I Re-read what you posted and I want to comment on the retaking the Oral, someone correct me if I am wrong but when you fail you receive a notice of Disapproval, that should have what you failed. If you passed the Oral and failed the Practical or Flight portion than those are the portions you get tested on. I do not believe changing DPE's will require you to re-do the oral, but you should be confident enough in what you know that when he asks you questions during flight your arent getting them wrong.

1. Fly with a Different CFI immediately stop paying this guy
  2. Take a MOCK checkride with the flight schools Chief Pilot
  3. Find a Different DPE 
  4. Study like its your JOB (you know the one you're trying to get)
  5.  CHECKRIDE
Edited by Yaweh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yaweh said:

$900 is an insane amount unless youre adding the cost of the rental, my PPL was $400 and my instrument was $500.  You need to fly with different CFI's and your current DPE is not cutting you any discounts. Honestly I feel like youre either rushing to take a check ride, not preparing like you should, or your CFI is failing you. 

I think failing a PPL checkride isnt a big deal but three failures seems like a trend item and hopefully its not entirely your fault. 

1. Fly with a Different CFI immediately stop paying this guy
  2. Take a MOCK checkride with the flight schools Chief Pilot
  3. Find a Different DPE 

I'm not adding in any costs, that's the flat cost.  Shit your tests cost as much as my re-tests. I've taken a mock check ride with a different CFI but we never did stalls during it so I passed everything else. And the schools Chief Pilot just got fired for being creepy with students so that's not a possibility. I really don't think I'm rushing but I guess I have not dedicated a full lesson to just get stalls down fully, and not only to the stall horn. I really want to prove to the boards that I can do this, hopefully they can see that it's just stalls and not my overall flying skill.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BadGuySplash said:

I'm not adding in any costs, that's the flat cost.  Shit your tests cost as much as my re-tests. I've taken a mock check ride with a different CFI but we never did stalls during it so I passed everything else. And the schools Chief Pilot just got fired for being creepy with students so that's not a possibility. I really don't think I'm rushing but I guess I have not dedicated a full lesson to just get stalls down fully, and not only to the stall horn. I really want to prove to the boards that I can do this, hopefully they can see that it's just stalls and not my overall flying skill.

I would keep flying with a different CFI. If your main concern is stalls, then you should be vocal with the CFI that is your goal. Show him your Notice of Disapproval and try to concentrate on that. Do some ground if you feel weak on the Oral and keep notes on what questions you struggle with. De-brief after your flights and maybe keep a better log of what you accomplished, what went wrong, and what you improved on. Your PPL checkride is a very general checkride and the purpose is to test you in the ability to fly safely and act as the PIC of that aircraft.

• Upvote 1

I'd second finding a different CFI. Realize that just because someone is a CFI doesn't mean they are either a good teacher or a good pilot; they might just be building flight time. I'd suspect that's the case, since the CFI obviously doesn't care about his checkride failure rate.

Find someone who will teach to what you need to clean up on your practical. And not just "let's hop in the plane and talk about it in the air." A good ground session discussing what needs to be brought up to standard, and talking through what you're going to do before you do it will save you time out in the plane.

I struggled a bit with stalls during my private pilot training, mainly due to being a little apprehensive. So I'd try to ease into the stall overly slow, which just made the whole thing worse. Heading control was terrible, stalls were very mushy with inconsistent recoveries. Switched CFIs, and got a guy who beat them up with me in the area, and showed me they weren't anything to be afraid of in the practice area. Other big improvement he brought was a steady, but positive pull towards stall, which made maintaining heading easier, the stall break became very consistent and predictable, which then led to consistent stall recoveries.

Fast forward to me instructing at UPT, I was a believer in encouraging students to nail their setup parameters for stalls. I didn't grade the setups, but a good setup typically made for consistent recoveries, and corrections for the student(if needed) were a lot easier to make/teach to.

DPE isn't giving you a discount, sounds like they are milking you for extra money. Are they affiliated with your flight school? If so, that's pretty shady.

Good luck on the next try, and don't take the practical if you aren't feeling confident.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Also, if you haven't already, look over the ACS for private pilot.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/

That's what's being tested, and what the examiner is looking for, so it might give you more insight into making a training plan with your CFI. Your letter of discontinuance will cite the appropriate tasks that did not meet standards, so that's a good point to start at.

2 hours ago, BadGuySplash said:

I'm not adding in any costs, that's the flat cost.

I’m no expert, but you sure seem to be getting ripped off. I did my training and took my check ride about as close to expensive-for-everything NYC as you can get, and it was $500. $900 is absolutely ridiculous to pay, if you ask me. 

You may be getting bilked for cash. Your CFI should not be afraid of stalls and sure as hell shouldn’t be signing off for a checkride (3 times!!!) if you’re not absolutely ready. My checkrides with my CFI were harder than my checkride with the DPE because he wanted to make sure I was prepped. Yours is obviously dropping the ball. 

What are you failing? Just the stalls?

Lastly, I don’t know how boards take your fails. It doesn’t sound like it’ll be looked at positively, as it make sense they may just see it as you’ll have the same troubles with UPT checkrides. But, you never know until you try and, to me, it seems like it could  be more of a scam with your CFI, school, and DPE, so maybe you have some recourse if you ace it elsewhere?

Either way, prep like crazy to get past it this next shot and see what happens from there. 

Good luck up there. 

I paid $700..... for an ATP-MEL INITIAL. BTW I grew up in part 61 before I ever set foot on a military airplane. I'm also an aircraft owner, and CFI/II. So civilian flight training is not a mystery to me. I'm telling you, this DPE is being the typical rent-seeking asshole that got a bunch of them to have their tickets pulled during the ATP gold rush of 2016. And your CFI is straight up failing you. This is why part 61 gets a bad rep and why part 141 kids go to the front of the line at the regionals. It's a hot mess.

Pink slips are pretty specific on the events you failed. They are now also required to immediately discontinue the checkride if you fail an event, or you can choose to continue for credit at your own risk. Same deal for the oral, since it generally occurs before the flight. So you walking into a re-test should not be a mystery as to what is sampled. I've had re-checks and usually the DPE can opt to re-test everything but generally they concentrate on the busted item and move on, especially if the oral was passed.

You're getting taken to the cleaners and your CFI has allowed your training record (airman database with the FAA) to be gratuitously checkered because some asshole DPE has been milking you. Nothing that can be done about that now, except remove yourself from that training gangbang you're in the middle of, and go to a different CFI, and a different DPE. Or continue to roll the dice with these two assholes. Your call.

Absolutely UFB the cesspool part 61 can be. Land of grifters, all groveling and blue falconing for a god damn regional airline FO job, or profiting from said aspirants.

• Like 2

Yep just failed my check ride for the 4th time with the same DPE. Didn't even set foot in the plane. We pre-flighted together and he asked me what the shimmy damper was which I didn't know at the time and failed me right then and there. CFI wants to re-do a significant amount of training with me, and wants to start doing night cross countries with me again. WTF? I showed her the ACS about how stalls need to be taken to the full extent and she said that's not true and it's downright dangerous to do that, that many students and instructors have been killed because of bringing them to the full extent of the stall. I told them that I don't feel like I've been treated fairly here and they kicked me out right then and there and told me that because of my performance that I'm not allowed in the school ever again, with any instructor! I feel absolutely robbed at this point as I have over 115 hours of flight time and I don't even have my PPL yet. And I agree 100% part 61 is garbage, I'm switching over to the part 141 school right next to them and never looking back. Thought part 61 would help by making my training more flexible but it has done nothing but give me heartache after heartache. I'll never recommend this school to anyone. Not even Chinese students.

Edited by BadGuySplash
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BadGuySplash said:

Yep just failed my check ride for the 4th time with the same DPE. Didn't even set foot in the plane. We pre-flighted together and he asked me what the shimmy damper was which I didn't know at the time and failed me right then and there. CFI wants to re-do a significant amount of training with me, and wants to start doing night cross countries with me again. WTF? I showed him the ACS about how stalls need to be taken to the full extent and he said that's not true and it's downright dangerous to do that, that many students and instructors have been killed because of bringing them to the full extent of the stall. I told them that I don't feel like I've been treated fairly here and they kicked me out right then and there and told me that because of my performance that I'm not allowed in the school ever again, with any instructor! I feel absolutely robbed at this point as I have over 115 hours of flight time and I don't even have my PPL yet. And I agree 100% part 61 is garbage, I'm switching over to the part 141 school right next to them and never looking back. Thought part 61 would help by making my training more flexible but it has done nothing but give me heartache after heartache. I'll never recommend this school to anyone. Not even Chinese students.

This whole story just sounds absolutely ridiculous, I'm sorry. You need a new CFI anyway in my opinion and I've heard many stories of DPE's like this. If you show an instructor the ACS and read it verbatim and they disagree...time to leave anyway man. I recommend still trying to finish the PPL part 61 because you meet all of the requirements and you are so close. If you go to a part 141 at this point they will only transfer in a certain % of your hours towards their syllabus most likely. It will end up costing you more in the long run with the extra hours and ground requirements and there really isn't a benefit. Is there a local flying club or anything nearby?

I showed him the ACS about how stalls need to be taken to the full extent and he said that's not true and it's downright dangerous to do that, that many students and instructors have been killed because of bringing them to the full extent of the stall.

This right here is unsat if they will not train to FAA checkride standards.

I'm sorry you wasted time and money with such a poor school.

What school did you go to? Might be good to post a warning to everyone else.

2 hours ago, BadGuySplash said:

Yep just failed my check ride for the 4th time with the same DPE. Didn't even set foot in the plane. We pre-flighted together and he asked me what the shimmy damper was which I didn't know at the time and failed me right then and there. CFI wants to re-do a significant amount of training with me, and wants to start doing night cross countries with me again. WTF? I showed him the ACS about how stalls need to be taken to the full extent and he said that's not true and it's downright dangerous to do that, that many students and instructors have been killed because of bringing them to the full extent of the stall. I told them that I don't feel like I've been treated fairly here and they kicked me out right then and there and told me that because of my performance that I'm not allowed in the school ever again, with any instructor! I feel absolutely robbed at this point as I have over 115 hours of flight time and I don't even have my PPL yet. And I agree 100% part 61 is garbage, I'm switching over to the part 141 school right next to them and never looking back. Thought part 61 would help by making my training more flexible but it has done nothing but give me heartache after heartache. I'll never recommend this school to anyone. Not even Chinese students.

Doesn't even seem real anymore! Failing for a shimmy damper that seems harsh. Did your now Former CFI have any other students than you? Did any of them pass their Checkride? I don't want to put much blame on you but it all seems a bit odd. How many hours did you have when you first Solo'd? Did you fly often like twice a week? 115 hours seems like a lot, I received my PPL at around 60-70 hours and my instrument at around 100-105, though I was part 141.  The reason I say that is if you were flying once a week or with large breaks in between it is possible that you just were not improving enough or retaining enough information/ability to avoid repeating lessons and that could be why you have so many hours. It seems crazy that you spent $2,400 on one DPE, but you should be able to find another DPE http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp . My recommendations are do not get discouraged and keep pushing forward, you've already experienced failure four times and you are still alive so that's good. 

Go to the other flight school stay part61, ask to fly with an experienced CFI, fly at least 3 times a week and study the ACS. ONLY take your checkride when you can confidently perform every standard on the ACS. I mean it is giving you all of the possible questions they can ask/evaluate. Good luck.

Edited by Yaweh

3 hours ago, OnlyInCleveland said:

This whole story just sounds absolutely ridiculous, I'm sorry. You need a new CFI anyway in my opinion and I've heard many stories of DPE's like this. If you show an instructor the ACS and read it verbatim and they disagree...time to leave anyway man. I recommend still trying to finish the PPL part 61 because you meet all of the requirements and you are so close. If you go to a part 141 at this point they will only transfer in a certain % of your hours towards their syllabus most likely. It will end up costing you more in the long run with the extra hours and ground requirements and there really isn't a benefit. Is there a local flying club or anything nearby?

You're right. Looks like barely any of my hours transfer to the part 141 school I was talking to for legal reasons. Just a few more flights though I know I can do this and push through.

2 hours ago, jazzdude said:

This right here is unsat if they will not train to FAA checkride standards.

I'm sorry you wasted time and money with such a poor school.

What school did you go to? Might be good to post a warning to everyone else.

East Coast Aero Club in Nashua New Hampshire. Awful club I can't recommend it to anyone. I've also talked to a lot of other people and they have the same sentiment about the club. No one likes it.  

2 hours ago, Yaweh said:

Doesn't even seem real anymore! Failing for a shimmy damper that seems harsh. Did your now Former CFI have any other students than you? Did any of them pass their Checkride? I don't want to put much blame on you but it all seems a bit odd. How many hours did you have when you first Solo'd? Did you fly often like twice a week? 115 hours seems like a lot, I received my PPL at around 60-70 hours and my instrument at around 100-105, though I was part 141.  The reason I say that is if you were flying once a week or with large breaks in between it is possible that you just were not improving enough or retaining enough information/ability to avoid repeating lessons and that could be why you have so many hours. It seems crazy that you spent $2,400 on one DPE, but you should be able to find another DPE http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp . My recommendations are do not get discouraged and keep pushing forward, you've already experienced failure four times and you are still alive so that's good. 

Go to the other flight school stay part61, ask to fly with an experienced CFI, fly at least 3 times a week and study the ACS. ONLY take your checkride when you can confidently perform every standard on the ACS. I mean it is giving you all of the possible questions they can ask/evaluate. Good luck.

No, I was this CFI's first student, so I'm starting to suspect she is just trying to milk me for hours so she can move onto the airlines. I had like 25 hours before my first solo and I flew like 3 times a week. My instructor would just not sign me off for solo cross country and kept doing dual cross country and night cross countries with me saying she doesn't trust me in a plane by myself. I'm confident speaking to the new school that they can get me my PPL in about 3 months with all the retraining. Can't believe I gave this school money though!

Edited by BadGuySplash

5 minutes ago, BadGuySplash said:

No, I was this CFI's first student, so I'm starting to suspect he is just trying to milk me for hours so he can move onto the airlines. I had like 25 hours before my first solo and I flew like 3 times a week. My instructor would just not sign me off for solo cross country and kept doing dual cross country and night cross countries with me saying he doesn't trust me in a plane by myself. I'm confident speaking to the new school that they can get me my PPL in about 3 months with all the retraining. Can't believe I gave this school money though!

Well, I hope it all works out, as far as the rest of your stuff goes with the Air Force Testing if it has been at least 6 months maybe retake your AFOQT and TBAS. I say plan on doing this after you pass your checkride, you should be at your highest level of knowledge and I believe you can easily bump up your Pilot score which would help your PCSM a lot. I know it is just a PPL checkride but I do believe that the best way to counter these failures is improving what you can change and that would be your test scores. Not saying they are terrible mine aren't much better.  Once again Good luck with everything and I hope you have a much better experience with this new flight school. 

I was already mad for you before I read this post. They were clearly trying to scam you and the CFI sounds like a moron. I don’t know if you have any recourse or anything you could report, but it sounds like what’s going on is very shady.

And the price of your check rides are absurd. I did mine in a cheaper part of the country, but my PPL check ride was only $300. $900 is a scam. They were just milking you.

I’d be curious to see what happens if you got a flight or two focusing on stalls and then took your check ride.

I’d ask the other school if you could fly with their chief pilot for a practice check ride with him. Tell them you feel like you’re ready with the exception of stalls and wanted their feedback.

If you pass no problem, it will say a lot about the DPE and the CFI you’d been working with. If they say you have a lot of work to do, then get working. Regardless, if any of your ride was subpar, your instructor should have been focusing on that before signing you for again.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yaweh said:

Well, I hope it all works out, as far as the rest of your stuff goes with the Air Force Testing if it has been at least 6 months maybe retake your AFOQT and TBAS. I say plan on doing this after you pass your checkride, you should be at your highest level of knowledge and I believe you can easily bump up your Pilot score which would help your PCSM a lot. I know it is just a PPL checkride but I do believe that the best way to counter these failures is improving what you can change and that would be your test scores. Not saying they are terrible mine aren't much better.  Once again Good luck with everything and I hope you have a much better experience with this new flight school. 

Welp, time to get the waiver to retake the AFOQT a third time. I've already scheduled to retake the TBAS here soon. Thanks man I appreciate it.

49 minutes ago, N730 said:

I was already mad for you before I read this post. They were clearly trying to scam you and the CFI sounds like a moron. I don’t know if you have any recourse or anything you could report, but it sounds like what’s going on is very shady.

And the price of your check rides are absurd. I did mine in a cheaper part of the country, but my PPL check ride was only $300. $900 is a scam. They were just milking you.

I’d be curious to see what happens if you got a flight or two focusing on stalls and then took your check ride.

I’d ask the other school if you could fly with their chief pilot for a practice check ride with him. Tell them you feel like you’re ready with the exception of stalls and wanted their feedback.

If you pass no problem, it will say a lot about the DPE and the CFI you’d been working with. If they say you have a lot of work to do, then get working. Regardless, if any of your ride was subpar, your instructor should have been focusing on that before signing you for again.

I think my old school is a scam artists dream. I've scheduled a mock check ride with my new school and we will see how that goes. I really hope to report back with good news and maybe even secure that Wisconsin interview slot next year :)

... and here I thought I got f-ed over during my path to PPL.

Here's the deal. Unlike some on here seem to think, part 61 is your best bet for PPL. I started 141, realized that it was nothing but a $ mill, (chief pilot was always required for mini-checkrides, but mysteriously... couldn't put me on the schedule) and transferred to 61. Grass was way greener, CFI was incredible (we're still buds) and I got out a lot cheaper than I would have in the 141 arena. YMMV

As for your DPE, dude sounds like an asshole. I know you're relying on the CFI here, but c'mon man. That many failures in a row and you're still paying the CFI and DPE? First I'd take a ride with another (well known, well rated) CFI. It won't cost you much, you can log the time, and see if you can't get his opinion on where you stand. 

Sorry that you're going through all of this, but it sounds like a worst case scenario of you not wanting to take charge of the situation, and two f**king idiots who are taking you for a ride.

I'm calling bull***t on this - none of it makes sense. I've been in general aviation for 2 years now at a flight school in the New England area (not ECAC) and have never heard of someone failing a PPL checkride three times. 

What was the name of your DPE?  It's not un-common for $500 PPL checkride. DPE Marc Nathanson's instructor rides are $1000 and $500 for a re-test. You need to do your research.  There are certain DPE's that we don't use in the area and I might be able to help.  For instance, DPE Don Martel in Sandford, Maine costs $350 for a PPL checkride.  Go up north for your ride and log some flight hours towards your PCSM while your at it.

What was the name of your instructor at ECAC? Odds are I know who it is.  DM me.

We have clients all the time wanting to rent aircraft and we send them to ECAC - we also have students needing to get their mult-engine and complex rating done and we send them to ECAC too.  I have not heard of a bad experience yet in 2 years and probably over 15 students that we've sent over there.

I find it hard to believe an instructor would sign you off that many times if you weren't ready - our instructors get let go for a certain amount of check ride failures, NOT TO MENTION he could get his license revoked from the Burlington FSDO (do you know how much it costs to get an instructor rating these days?)  ALSO the Burlington and Portland FSDO's have investigating DPE's for high pass rates and not following check ride protocol (the ACS) - SO - if you don't know your sh^t or you're dangerous in the air - then you aren't going to pass. They aren't going to put their job in jeopardy by passing someone who doesn't deserve it.

This makes 0 sense.

Edited by UPTapplicant2017
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, UPTapplicant2017 said:

I'm calling bull***t on this - none of it makes sense. I've been in general aviation for 2 years now at a flight school in the New England area (not ECAC) and have never heard of someone failing a PPL checkride three times. 

What was the name of your DPE?  It's not un-common for $500 PPL checkride. DPE Marc Nathanson's instructor rides are $1000 and $500 for a re-test. You need to do your research.  There are certain DPE's that we don't use in the area and I might be able to help.  For instance, DPE Don Martel in Sandford, Maine costs $350 for a PPL checkride.  Go up north for your ride and log some flight hours towards your PCSM while your at it.

What was the name of your instructor at ECAC? Odds are I know who it is.  DM me.

We have clients all the time wanting to rent aircraft and we send them to ECAC - we also have students needing to get their mult-engine and complex rating done and we send them to ECAC too.  I have not heard of a bad experience yet in 2 years and probably over 15 students that we've sent over there.

I find it hard to believe an instructor would sign you off that many times if you weren't ready - our instructors get let go for a certain amount of check ride failures, NOT TO MENTION he could get his license revoked from the Burlington FSDO (do you know how much it costs to get an instructor rating these days?)  ALSO the Burlington and Portland FSDO's have investigating DPE's for high pass rates and not following check ride protocol (the ACS) - SO - if you don't know your sh^t or you're dangerous in the air - then you aren't going to pass. They aren't going to put their job in jeopardy by passing someone who doesn't deserve it.

This makes 0 sense.

Well dude, just because it didn't happen to you didn't mean it didn't happen. The ECAC in Nashua has a horrendous reputation. The one in Bedford has an excellent reputation. I would never recommend anyone to go to the one in Nashua, but I could recommend the one in Bedford. And my CFI is very dramatic and I'm now seeing she is a very bad one. I'll just PM you the details, don't want too much to be public.

I think my old school is a scam artists dream. I've scheduled a mock check ride with my new school and we will see how that goes. I really hope to report back with good news and maybe even secure that Wisconsin interview slot next year :)

If you’re taking the AFOQT a third time, make it count. Study study study. Use the prep books and take the practice tests timed. You can easily get over a 90 on the pilot portion, it just takes practice and studying. The biggest part is getting use to the timing. By practicing over and over I was able to finish every section with a little bit of time to spare and double check some answers.

7 hours ago, BadGuySplash said:

Yep just failed my check ride for the 4th time with the same DPE. Didn't even set foot in the plane. We pre-flighted together and he asked me what the shimmy damper was which I didn't know at the time and failed me right then and there. CFI wants to re-do a significant amount of training with me, and wants to start doing night cross countries with me again. WTF? I showed her the ACS about how stalls need to be taken to the full extent and she said that's not true and it's downright dangerous to do that, that many students and instructors have been killed because of bringing them to the full extent of the stall. I told them that I don't feel like I've been treated fairly here and they kicked me out right then and there and told me that because of my performance that I'm not allowed in the school ever again, with any instructor! I feel absolutely robbed at this point as I have over 115 hours of flight time and I don't even have my PPL yet. And I agree 100% part 61 is garbage, I'm switching over to the part 141 school right next to them and never looking back. Thought part 61 would help by making my training more flexible but it has done nothing but give me heartache after heartache. I'll never recommend this school to anyone. Not even Chinese students.

Dude, what the fuck?  You should report that dumb ass CFI to the FAA as well as the school.  You got screwed by an incompetent CFI (won't do stalls???) and hard ass DPE.  Failed for not knowing a shimmy damper?  Wow. 

For reference, had a PPL Checkride in Southern California and it cost $700, seems to depend on the demand of the area. Definitely spent more than I expected to, but there was no instance where I felt bottlenecked by the school aside from plane and CFI availability.

To be honest, this sounds like the worst possible scenario of just about everything that could go wrong with PPL training. Sorry to hear.