Baseops Forums
BadGuySplash

Failed private pilot checkride 3 times + low scores

When you go shopping for a new CFI, ask if they are a gold star CFI. FAA designates CFIs with a high student pass rate as gold star CFIs. I want to say it's something like a 80-90% student initial pass rate.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

https://hotline.faa.gov

“The FAA Hotline accepts reports concerning the safety of the National Airspace System, violation of a Federal Aviation Regulation (Title 14 CFR), aviation safety issues, and reports related to FAA employees or FAA facilities. The FAA Hotline provides a single venue for FAA employees, the aviation community and the public to file their reports.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Dude, what the ?  You should report that dumb ass CFI to the FAA as well as the school.  You got screwed by an incompetent CFI (won't do stalls???) and hard ass DPE.  Failed for not knowing a shimmy damper?  Wow. 

Yeah, honestly the shimmy damper thing just makes me think the DPE wasn’t in the mood and was hoping to avoid it and keep his or her cash.

I almost guarantee that if he’s gotten the question correct, the DPE would have found some other way to fail him before they took off.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Question for the group: Is explaining the shimmy dampener covered in the ACS?  Obviously pre-flight and basic systems knowledge is, but I've never checked a shimmy dampener in my life...seems like something that is outside the scope of a baseline pre-flight/system GK and could be a legitimate point to make with the FAA as supporting evidence for the type of bullshit this DPE was pulling. I mean for fucks sake, that's like the douche bag SEFE I had for my first T-6 ride who among other asinine questions, asked me how much refrigerant was in the T-6 (as in something that's not part of the pre-flight and a MX-only function). When I said I didn't know, he then had this asshole smirk on his face as he thumbed straight to page 1-269 and pointed it out in an obscure paragraph.  Maybe this guy retired from the AF and is now a DPE in the Nashua area.

Sounds like you're on the right path to fix this issue.  When it comes to future interviews (guard, airlines, etc), be ready to answer questions asked about these failures - recommend steering away from badmouthing the CFI/DPE (though it may all be valid) and instead explain what you did to solve the problem, the lessons you learned from these failures, and how the experience has made you a better pilot, individual, improved your situation assessment/decision making ability, etc.  Bottom line, turn this shitty experience into a positive learning experience for the interviewers. If you come in swinging and talk about how the CFI was shit, the DPE was just milking you for money, and you got hosed (maybe all true), it doesn't come off well and will likely not net you a job offer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brabus said:

Question for the group: Is explaining the shimmy dampener covered in the ACS?  Obviously pre-flight and basic systems knowledge is, but I've never checked a shimmy dampener in my life...seems like something that is outside the scope of a baseline pre-flight/system GK and could be a legitimate point to make with the FAA as supporting evidence for the type of bullshit this DPE was pulling. 

It could be the straw that broke the camel's back or the DPE could be a tool.  It'd be interesting to see what the actual disapproval notice (8060-5) says.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/private_airplane_acs.pdf

There is nothing that says he should or should not know what the shimmy damper is, but there are some obtuse enough tasks that could be cited.

PA.II.A.K3: Airplane preflight inspection including:
PA.II.A.K3a  Which items must be inspected
PA.II.A.K3b The reasons for checking each item
PA.II.A.K3c How to detect possible defects
PA.II.A.K3d The associated regulations

So "what's this thing here?"  "I don't know"  "it's the shimmy damper--do you need to check it?"  "I guess" could be a failure under PA.II.A.K3 depending on what side of bed you woke up on: since the POH may say that you must check the shimmy damper, just the nose strut and tire and therefore you do not know "which items must be inspected".

If, in the judgment of the evaluator, the applicant does not meet the standards for any Task, the applicant fails the Task and associated Area of Operation. The test is unsatisfactory, and the evaluator issues a Notice of Disapproval. 

It's conceivable that after stumbling through a "barely passed oral" and three flights with the OP the DPE would be a little testy if he felt the failures on the first three rides weren't given enough effort  before the re-test and we are seeing a little projection here.  But it's also conceivable that the brand new CFI doesn't know which DPEs are legit and sent him to a dud DPE.  First sign would be if it's possible to schedule days out.  The good DPEs I know of (ie reasonable price and reasonable on standards) are booked weeks out. Rule of DPEs: price/availability/fairness -- choose 2 or maybe less in this case.

If I were in the same boat, I would find a well respected CFI to give me a mock ride from oral to flying to post flight.  From there I would build my syllabus of self-study, ground instruction, and flight instruction to ace a ride with probably a different DPE.  Then I would work toward an instrument rating and crush the practical test for that on the first go.

BadGuySplash,
I really hope you’re just General Chang’s new troll account. If not, after 4 failed checkrides, you might want to rethink your career aspirations. I don’t think you’re going to be able to explain this away, when there are plenty of other qualified applicants with 0 busts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

BadGuySplash,
I really hope you’re just General Chang’s new troll account. If not, after 4 failed checkrides, you might want to rethink your career aspirations. I don’t think you’re going to be able to explain this away, when there are plenty of other qualified applicants with 0 busts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is definitely a troll account. He just downvoted UPTapplicant2017 10 times in a row after being called out, and he also sent me a PM claiming to be infamous [aspiring] fighter pilot extraordinaire Derek Polkamp while badgering me to send him my application video. 

Derek Polkamp is a commercial pilot and this dude claims he failed 4 PPL checkrides, two of which were in the last three days (as if that wasn't already unrealistic enough). 100% troll, 0% smooth about it.

Edited by admdelta
  • Downvote 1

I reported the CFI, apparently she was trying to teach in 2 schools at once so there was a lot of drama. 

As for my career, I'm putting applications on hold until I get this figured out, and re-test. The dream is still there but I need to put in way more time if I want it to happen. I appreciate all of your advice and support. 

11 hours ago, admdelta said:

This is definitely a troll account. He just downvoted UPTapplicant2017 10 times in a row after being called out, and he also sent me a PM claiming to be infamous [aspiring] fighter pilot extraordinaire Derek Polkamp while badgering me to send him my application video. 

Derek Polkamp is a commercial pilot and this dude claims he failed 4 PPL checkrides, two of which were in the last three days (as if that wasn't already unrealistic enough). 100% troll, 0% smooth about it.

What are you talking about? I downvoted him because he badgered me for my school, CFI, and DPE then ghosted me and is ignoring me. Gave him a lot of personal info and now he's just being silent with me. Punk move. Also I was playing around with you because that video was hilarious, if you didn't get that joke. Get a grip bro, you aren't a special FBI agent who just discovered the smoking gun! 

• Downvote 1

Sure man. And you expect everyone here to also believe you took a checkride two days in a row. As if any CFI, crappy or not, would ever approve that, and as if it would even be possible with wait times. 

• Downvote 1

If a brand new CFI signed off a student to take a checkride and they failed four in a row, I think the CFI would almost certainly be subjected to a 709 ride. Only ever saw one imposed on an instructor and they came out on top sts. Anyone know how these are initiated? Is it by discretion of the FSDO when they process the same student/instructor retake paperwork? 

For reference:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/44709