Grumpy MC Driver

Linda

I always loved my FAIPs. Yeah sometimes they got out of control and started talking about things they didn’t know about but who doesn’t?

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Linda said:

1 of 8 can provide the correct WX required to deal with the crap WX at KCVS today and successfully land.

Thanks to the FAIP Mafia for providing the CHAFF for filing requirements to KCVS...

Grow a pear (!?)... 

CPs,, CSOs,.... even MPs... W. T.  F.!?

You're lost.  How do you get to your first base!?

Do you smell toast???

On 10/2/2018 at 11:13 PM, AFsock said:

I'm with Linda.  Our Ops squadron is an FTU and burning precious hours (GT and flight) covering the basics.

It's systemic, and from what I read around here only going to get worse...

Not my experience as a FTU instructor, if they couldn't do it, it reflected on the gradesheet.  It's my job to teach how to get to ILS mode or check the mission planning. Anything else should be taught elsewhere.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:13 AM, AFsock said:

I'm with Linda.  Our Ops squadron is an FTU and burning precious hours (GT and flight) covering the basics.

It's systemic, and from what I read around here only going to get worse...

They have been taught the basics. If they retain it or not is another question. Don’t believe them every time they say, “I’ve never heard that before.”  I saw that excuse plenty as an FTU instructor when I absolutely knew they’d covered a particular topic previously. Retention is on the student 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MooseClub said:

They have been taught the basics. If they retain it or not is another question. Don’t believe them every time they say, “I’ve never heard that before.”  I saw that excuse plenty as an FTU instructor when I absolutely knew they’d covered a particular topic previously. Retention is on the student 

To piggyback this thought: professional pilots should be able to ID their weak areas and brush up on them. At some point every UPT student has met MIF on the basics and if they lack, then nobody is to blame but that subpar individual. 

Edited by Standby
  • Upvote 2

There is still the issue of subpar students making it through formal courses. I understand they met standards on paper, but clearly there have been too many that met standards by the pen, not by actually performing. That's not on the line IPs, it's on leadership at multiple levels who are pushing the turd right instead of calling a spade a spade and FEBing a guy.

Edited by brabus

There is a mentality at UPT of "well person X will just be a co-pilot and will have the AC looking over their shoulder, so I'll pass them."  When asked what about when Stan becomes an AC, the response is usually "the community will see their weak and prevent it," or "well they'll have had more time in the air by then."  Seen it plenty of times, it's the excuse to avoid hurting someones feelings.

Looking at the leadership perspective though, I completely see where they’re coming from sts. AFPC screwed us in the last decade and we need pilots. We need pilots badly. It’s one thing to send a subpar pilot to a single seat jet, but when you have a guy you can throw in the right seat and learn until he’s ready. The answer to the AC question is simple. He either makes AC because he earned it or he stays a copilot until he’s ready. If he’s never ready then don’t make him an AC. If people upgrade him anyway, then that’s on the community imho. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 7:57 PM, Spaceballs said:

Looking at the leadership perspective though, I completely see where they’re coming from sts. AFPC screwed us in the last decade and we need pilots. We need pilots badly. It’s one thing to send a subpar pilot to a single seat jet, but when you have a guy you can throw in the right seat and learn until he’s ready. The answer to the AC question is simple. He either makes AC because he earned it or he stays a copilot until he’s ready. If he’s never ready then don’t make him an AC. If people upgrade him anyway, then that’s on the community imho. 

We IPs in the MAF are getting tired of this.  Whether a shitty copilot who shouldn’t have made it through UPT is babysat by an experienced AC/IP or not..he/she is still a safety hazard and a liability.  Yes, some are coachable but some do not belong anywhere near an airplane. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/6/2018 at 8:57 PM, Spaceballs said:

We all know numbers are the drivers and ACs must be made, and that that shitty CP will be made an AC despite non-progression.