Grumpy MC Driver

Linda

1 of 8 can provide the correct WX required to deal with the crap WX at KCVS today and successfully land.

Thanks to the FAIP Mafia for providing the CHAFF for filing requirements to KCVS...

Grow a pear (!?)... 

CPs,, CSOs,.... even MPs... W. T.  F.!?

You're lost.  How do you get to your first base!?

Edited by Linda
Keep workin the To - NAVAID - Eventually an IN will see your struggles.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Combine the T-6's instrument training with the navigation training to cut down on timeline will only add to this issue that already exists. Not a knock on the T-1 bubba/ettes training them, but it's always been a weak spot.

I've sat on the ramp at Bagram talking to a majority of the squadron about how we're going to get ourselves out of here with this weather, when it is squarely primary pilot training level material, minus some climb gradient chart specifics.

Teaching never stops. Venting is okay. Here should be okay. Maybe during the first or second vodka and tonic though. I know how this place rolls. You all are doobers. Every...last...one of ya's.

It's about to get WAY worse Linda. Take care of them the best you can...T-1 IP's...time to up your game.

~Bendy

This shouldn’t only get thrown on UPT outfits. Everyone gets a basic qual/instrument from their respective FTUs as well and should be getting taught the stuff specific to their MDS. Plenty of blame to go around. Not to mention the students themselves who get into msn qual and forget basic qual/instrument stuff when they stop studying it 

43 minutes ago, MooseClub said:

This shouldn’t only get thrown on UPT outfits. Everyone gets a basic qual/instrument from their respective FTUs as well and should be getting taught the stuff specific to their MDS. Plenty of blame to go around. Not to mention the students themselves who get into msn qual and forget basic qual/instrument stuff when they stop studying it 

It's not specific to just one community either, we are definitely seeing a lower quality product showing up in the fighter community as well.

You can bitch about it, or you can step up and make these kids better. They're able and willing, it's on us to accept the challenge the AF has given us.

Not defending the AF for any of the bullshit decisions they have made, but by the time the product shows up to my squadron, it's now my problem. I'll make them better and get them up to speed. Wont be easy but we cant accept anything less.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Upvote 1

100% on UPT. An MWS FTU should not have to teach fundamental skills like filing/weather requirements, VFR/IFR navigation, and how to fly an instrument approach. FTU should only need to teach airframe specific differences/TTPs, or unique mission requirements (multiple alternates, departure alternates, ICAO procedures, tactics, etc).

As an example, I saw many T-6 IPs essentially mission plan the entire student cross country for the student, or just fly direct everywhere. Sure, studs check the MIF containers, but miss out on the bigger mission planning and route study learning. Some of that's is not the fault of the stud, either, as often they'll double turn throughout the week with no opportunity to truly plan an off station weekend in the name of timeline. Sometimes they'll do weekend flying the week before to catch then up to go on the cross country push the following weekend. But that doesn't matter-only timeline and production matters.

If pilots are forgetting basics after msn cert, then the IPs need to crack down on guys below standard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I dont know, I seem to remember student cross country discussions in UP going like this: First it was had to stay CONUS. Then, CONUS but w/in 8 hours. Then CONUS, w/in 8 hours, and military field. Then CONUS, w/in 6 hours, towered military field with sufficient instrumentation to depart in all weather. These OG's get more and more possessive of their planes and next thing you know the x-country comes up and your choices are Canon, Holloman and some other random shit hole. At that point you're not going off base anyway, so you may as well just pick which ever one is closest to home to get you back soonest.