Just another dreamer

iRobot

Hey all,

Figured I'd at least give a brief introduction and leave my information open for feedback, as well as, an opportunity for others to get a sense of their chances if I get picked up. 

Resume breakdown:

• B.S. Electrical Engineering (at a Cal State), starting Grad school (M.S.E.E.) in Spring 2019
  • 3.09 GPA
  • AFOQT - 97 Pilot, 85 Nav., 76 AA, 63 Verb., 81 Quant.
  • PCSM - 76 (w/ 27.9 hrs.), *max 95 w/ 201+hrs.
  • Current Student Pilot License (working toward PPL, should be complete by end of October, early November)
  • 3 LOR's - 1. Current AF Reserve Pilot/Ops Commander, Current Supervisor (retired SMSgt. - AF), Current CFI
  • 5 years of work experience as an engineer

Aside from loving planes (having grown up in Palmdale and watching them fly out of AF Plant 42 all the time), I am a competitive Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner, surfer (when I was living in CA) and musician. Outside of work, I'm all about being a family man (wife and two puppies), church and volunteering.

I have no prior military experience, with the exception of AFROTC -- "AIR POWER!!"; tried for a pilot slot then, but didn't get picked up. Focused on engineering to become an avionics expert (hoped to become a Test Pilot for NASA like my college mentor), and got picked up to work for Northrop Grumman. After a few years working in the Manufacturing world, I began working in materials and analysis (working in sustainment and survivability -- cool stuff!). Recently, I got an opportunity to work in Lockheed Martin (January 2018 in DFW);

Now I'm trying my hand at getting a pilot slot (another mentor and family friend said I shouldn't give up), since I couldn't do it as a young chap; was too expensive for my folks, and I could barely pay my tuition in college (student loans suck by the way). Hoping to get picked up for fighters, but regardless of the airframe, I'm totally in it to finally serve and fly!

Since I'm on the older side, taking the time to retake my tests (AFOQT/TBAS) might be out of the question, so I'm trying to rack up hours and finish my PPL as fast as possible. I am open to any suggestions, especially when it comes to people's previous experiences with rushing squadrons and what the logistics were for the guys getting picked up. Lastly, I'm open to networking and getting to know other folks going through the process currently (and helping them as well), seeing that it's not always what you know, but who you know. 

In any event, I'll keep everyone posted with my journey so it gives other folks hope!

Edited by iRobot

We're the same age, nearly the same pilot score (i got a 96) and nearly the same PCSM relative to hours completed (at 27 hours, i'll be a 77). From what I've been reading on this site and others, you're in the game for a pilot slot. I'm not 100% sure about the fighter part but if you'd be happy flying heavies then definitely keep pressing forward! I'm going for heavies in the reserves/ANG and everyone i've talked to has been pretty optimistic. 

• Like 1

Similar everything as you except one small point. Your AFOQT is way better than mine. PCSM is same as mine with 21 hours. I'm a 28 year old EE with a 3.2 gpa working as an engineer for an aerospace defense contractor. I got picked up by a heavy squadron. 1 for 1 on interviews/ offers. I was also in ROTC.

If you don't mind me asking how did you leave rotc? Voluntary departure after no pilot slot? 

• Like 1

You're likely in striking distance for fighters, finish your PPL and you'll likely be able to land some interviews provided you show up to the meet-and-greets and mesh well. But you'll be among the less well qualified candidates, at least on paper. Not insurmountable though, and potentially worth spending six months or so chasing that dream before switching to applying to heavies.

Get your PPL and you should get a call back from any heavy squadron you apply to (except McDill).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stoker said:

You're likely in striking distance for fighters, finish your PPL and you'll likely be able to land some interviews provided you show up to the meet-and-greets and mesh well. But you'll be among the less well qualified candidates, at least on paper. Not insurmountable though, and potentially worth spending six months or so chasing that dream before switching to applying to heavies.

Get your PPL and you should get a call back from any heavy squadron you apply to (except McDill).

Just curious- whats the story with McDill? Why no call back there?

5 hours ago, DifferentViper said:

Similar everything as you except one small point. Your AFOQT is way better than mine. PCSM is same as mine with 21 hours. I'm a 28 year old EE with a 3.2 gpa working as an engineer for an aerospace defense contractor. I got picked up by a heavy squadron. 1 for 1 on interviews/ offers. I was also in ROTC.

If you don't mind me asking how did you leave rotc? Voluntary departure after no pilot slot? 

Are you my doppelganger? @DifferentViper As for my leave in AF ROTC, I was competing for the pilot slot and didn't get picked up (suuuper competitive then in 2009), afterward I tried to get a STEM scholarship (full-ride) but I'd be selected for an engineering position only. Tried my hand at that, but I wasn't picked for that either (only about 4 slots for the whole detachment -- again, competitive). So I opted out and figured I'd finish my degree and try out at a later date (AD, Reserves or Guard).

1 hour ago, Stoker said:

Thanks for the advice, been rushing a few fighter squadrons and one heavy squadron, but in any case, I'll definitely stick to my guns and crank out the PPL -- a personal achievement at this point. @Stoker

Edited by iRobot

2 hours ago, jyang1659 said:

Just curious- whats the story with McDill? Why no call back there?

Just a little joke, when I was applying it seemed like they posted a call for applications every month or two, and they were just about the only heavy squadron I never heard back from.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thought I'd recap and follow up with everyone. I've been super fortunate to have met some awesome people who have contributed to my success while I continued to pursue my passion for flying fighters. Not only did I finally get sworn in, but I also landed a fighter slot. Case and point, don't ever give up. :rock:

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, iRobot said:

Thought I'd recap and follow up with everyone. I've been super fortunate to have met some awesome people who have contributed to my success while I continued to pursue my passion for flying fighters. Not only did I finally get sworn in, but I also landed a fighter slot. Case and point, don't ever give up. :rock:

Congrats!! Where at if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iRobot said:

Congrats!  Were you able to complete your PPL when you got hired?

• Like 1