How Long For New Studs To Be Disillusioned?

donkey

11 hours ago, torqued said:

For me, the difference has always been the flightline ECP.  From the moment I step over and take the long walk to the aircraft, there is no job I'd rather have until I cross it again. Early on in my career, there was almost nothing I wouldn't do to be able to walk across that line and fly the aircraft. 

It all gets balanced by everything that happens on the other side of the ECP. If a person's interest lies in flying aircraft, it typically doesn't take but a few years to accomplish most of the general flying achievements available to you in your aircraft.

The problem among younger folks seems to be flying the same mission currencies for the X hundredth time doesn't offset the increasing level of frustration from everything on the other side of the ECP.

People are losing their enthusiasm for the best job in the world earlier than ever, and it isn't just because they're not looking at the bright side of things.

^solid

Something that’s exciting can get boring after X years flying the same mission. When you have nothing left to achieve or accomplish in that community it’s time to find a new one/challenge, before you become that disgruntled dude just waiting to retire 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Then change aircraft. Learn new things, have new challenges.  

I did, eleven years ago. Boeing 737. It's working out great. Besides, I'm not willing to commute more than 25 miles to a Guard job, so I'm stuck with the Herc for the next 6 months till retirement.

It's about the bullshit to flying ratio. Example: the Herc is a more "spiritually" rewarding and challenging aircraft to fly well than the 737, by let's say, a factor of two. Most are more than willing to accept twice as much bullshit to get to fly it. Recent studies have shown the bullshit required to fly an AF aircraft the duration of your career exceeds the bullshit to fly a major airline aircraft by at least a factor of 5. The airlines also pay me to forget about airline bullshit.

Principles are a luxury for those who have options. 😄

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Then change aircraft. Learn new things, have new challenges.  

Is this common? Seems to be more and more impossible in most communities Ive been around. 

To clarify, I know about white jets/RPAs, but I mean making an MWS change seems like a rare thing to me outside of selective programs. 

Edited by FLEA

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

Is this common? Seems to be more and more impossible in most communities Ive been around. 

To clarify, I know about white jets/RPAs, but I mean making an MWS change seems like a rare thing to me outside of selective programs. 

I’m currently in IQT for my 3rd MWS, and there was a trainer tour in there too, and I’m at 14 years of service.  Yes, it’s still totally possible, just takes effort, and the performance to justify being advocated for.  Certainly keeps things interesting, and I’m still a happy camper.  Give it a shot if it will keep your cynicism needle off the peg.  That was my motivation.

• Upvote 2

I tried leaving my MWS after white jets, asked for literally any 11M plane, including KC-135s to McConnell.

Denied by my functional, who said, circa late 2015: "KC-135s are overmanned. You are an ACC asset, expect RTB back to Offutt."

As for when studs become disillusioned, I seem to remember most were saying they don't plan on a career, but aren't going to bail unless they're unhappy. No one openly talked about doing 20, it was more like "I'll see what comes my way." 

13 hours ago, FLEA said:

Like so many things timing is huge. They may tell you it’s impossible and 12-18 months later it’s a different story. Stick to your guns, fight for it, and get your CC on your side. I’ve seen plenty of folks do it over the years 

• Upvote 1