Extension to Age Limit?

black hills tj

I just saw this on the AFPC Facebook page.  Has anyone heard much about it?

If you’re an officer over 30, you may have thought you couldn’t apply for pilot training. Good news! Air Staff has granted a three-year extension to the limits for both Age and Total Federal Commissioned Service for the 2018 Undergraduate Flying Training Selection Board hosted by AFPC this November.

This means that applicants who are under their 33rd birthday (instead of 30th) and have less than eight years TFCS (instead of five) do not require an exception-to-policy for consideration for a Pilot, Combat Systems Officer or Air Battle Manager slot in the next UFT board. Applicants for Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot have no age limits at all…you know, other than the whole retirement age thing…

This exception to policy is intended to increase the eligible pool of candidates meeting this year’s board. Oct. 26 is the application deadline for the 2019 Undergraduate Flying Training selection board, to include any approved waivers and exception-to-policy requests. Visit myPers and search “UFT,” or the UFT page on the Air Force Portal for detailed application information. #AirForce #AFPC

• Thanks 1

I just waited over a year for a TFCS waiver in the Guard 😂

Granted, I am over even the new 8 year limit, but still...good to know Big Blue at least recognizes how f-ed up this process is. Glad to see less bureaucracy and more blanket approvals for things that make sense.

IMHO anyone with enough commissioned service time to meet the ADSC for whatever wings they’re trying to earn should be allowed to proceed without needing waivers or anything. The AF doesn’t know they have you beyond that point anyways.

Example: Capt Snuffy, prior AMB with 9 years, going to UPT. Still has plenty of time to serve out a full 10 year ADSC before hitting the TFCS limit of 28 years unless you make O6. RPA/CSO/AMB are only 6 year AFSCs, so the aperture is even wider.

What percentage of these waivers are ever denied? If we do all this sick dance to just rubber stamp everyone because we’re dying for aviators...can we just eliminate the dick dancing part??

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 2

I just waited over a year for a TFCS waiver in the Guard
Granted, I am over even the new 8 year limit, but still...good to know Big Blue at least recognizes how f-ed up this process is. Glad to see less bureaucracy and more blanket approvals for things that make sense. 

So you’re finally GTG?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

2 minutes ago, herkbum said:

So you’re finally GTG?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Waiver approved, just waiting for Cathy to assign me a training date. Should happen by Friday inshallah. Action’s waiver is still pending unfortunately because as an O4 his package had to go to HAF for some reason 🙄

Edited by nsplayr

17 hours ago, herkbum said:

Good to hear. Sucks for Action. He still in Germany?

Returning next week, re-starting Tech until his training date.

6 hours ago, SocialD said:

Cathy is still there?!?!  Place is going to fall apart when she finally retires (I think she's already retired militarily).  

Ugh...can't say I have a great opinion of her work. Can't see how things would get worse when she finally pulls the lever for good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/19/2018 at 6:25 PM, black hills tj said:

If you’re an officer over 30, you may have thought you couldn’t apply for pilot training. Good news! Air Staff has granted a three-year extension to the limits for both Age and Total Federal Commissioned Service for the 2018 Undergraduate Flying Training Selection Board hosted by AFPC this November.

Is this even for real? This seems like just in time for me! I was so much worried about how I can go active duty from reserve during UPT. Trying to be a pilot physician ultimately and I know that program is Active Duty only.

Does this mean I can apply to AD directly without a waiver? I'm 30, took AFOQT and TBAS already! ..PCSM 82 and AFOQT pilot 86. However I am not already an Air Force officer but enlisted Army Reserve. Any help is appreciated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, katdude said:

Is this even for real? This seems like just in time for me! I was so much worried about how I can go active duty from reserve during UPT. Trying to be a pilot physician ultimately and I know that program is Active Duty only.

Does this mean I can apply to AD directly without a waiver? I'm 30, took AFOQT and TBAS already! ..PCSM 82 and AFOQT pilot 86. However I am not already an Air Force officer but enlisted Army Reserve. Any help is appreciated.

You're a medical doctor and also an enlisted Army Reserve dude? That seems like a weird/unusual position. And, yes it seems this is perfect timing for you to go for your wings.

5 minutes ago, bfargin said:

You're a medical doctor and also an enlisted Army Reserve dude? That seems like a weird/unusual position. And, yes it seems this is perfect timing for you to go for your wings.

Very weird/ unusual indeed. I had a green card before but wasn't a citizen. Only citizens can be officers. Now I am a citizen though. I am gonna try my luck with this Active Duty board - hopefully the stars line up finally!

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, nsplayr said:

I just waited over a year for a TFCS waiver in the Guard 😂

IMHO anyone with enough commissioned service time to meet the ADSC for whatever wings they’re trying to earn should be allowed to proceed without needing waivers or anything. The AF doesn’t know they have you beyond that point anyways.

Example: Capt Snuffy, prior AMB with 9 years, going to UPT. Still has plenty of time to serve out a full 10 year ADSC before hitting the TFCS limit of 28 years unless you make O6. RPA/CSO/AMB are only 6 year AFSCs, so the aperture is even wider.

What percentage of these waivers are ever denied? If we do all this sick dance to just rubber stamp everyone because we’re dying for aviators...can we just eliminate the dick dancing part??

nsplayr, I couldn't agree more.  We're continuously playing catchup, and one way to expedite getting warm bodies in the cockpit would be to, at the very least, temporarily lift restrictions on age and TFSC.  IRT the TFCS Exception to Policy waiver, maybe they're speeding that process up a bit....we recently had one (TFCS and age) come back approved from NGB in less than two months.  

On 9/19/2018 at 3:00 PM, nsplayr said:

Waiver approved, just waiting for Cathy to assign me a training date. Should happen by Friday inshallah. Action’s waiver is still pending unfortunately because as an O4 his package had to go to HAF for some reason 🙄

UPT?

On 9/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, nsplayr said:

Make sure you invite your best Nav buddy to your UPT graduation so he can pin your wings on. Immediately afterwards kick him solidly in the balls and ask him to get you a soda.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

No he’s not. He’s a troll 

I had to look up what a troll means on urban dictionary. Since you seem to be obsessed with trolls may be you are one. But I am pretty sure I'm a human. You spend way too much time on the internet trying to instigate me. I suggest you focus more on real life and other more important things.

• Downvote 1

I had to look up what a troll means on urban dictionary. Since you seem to be obsessed with trolls may be you are one. But I am pretty sure I'm a human. You spend way too much time on the internet trying to instigate me. I suggest you focus more on real life and other more important things.

Fvck off, douchebag. Weren’t you the one posting about being enlisted army and a doctor, then asking basic physics questions that a (decent) high school education should answer? Being an amateur proctologist doesn’t make you an MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Fvck off, douchebag. Weren’t you the one posting about being enlisted army and a doctor, then asking basic physics questions that a (decent) high school education should answer? Being an amateur proctologist doesn’t make you an MD.

I was the one posting about being enlisted army and a doctor, so what? You are not the first person trying to be a A-hole to me.. people don't understand why I do things no one else would.. I've been through army enlisted boot camp and medic training as a doctor and have seen tons of folks trying to mess with me just because - I'm different.

If you don't want to answer my question, then fvck off. Nobody's asking you to come here and give me attitude. A proctologist is a doctor too and deserves respect. You did nothing in your life that even comes close to what a doctor does so please don't tell me I should know answers to basic physics questions.

Sleeping 2 hours/ night in the call room, never getting 8 hours sleep at once, yet still put a smile on my face and talk to patients in the ER at 3AM answering the most basic questions they pose, sometimes that are seemingly irrelevant and annoying. Been doing that for over 5 years at American hospitals. And here you guys are, coming after me for asking something I don't know. What makes you think you can bitcch at someone?

This Airforce pilot job is a break for someone like me. As an AF pilot you sleep uninterrupted, 7 days/wk and are with your gf/wife in the end no matter how late. Even on deployments you sleep unless you're on alert. You have a life that you enjoy. Doctors in America don't. So with all due respect I suggest please mind your own business.

• Downvote 3

56 minutes ago, katdude said:

...You did nothing in your life that even comes close to what a doctor does so please don't tell me I should know answers to basic physics questions...This Airforce pilot job is a break for someone like me. As an AF pilot you sleep uninterrupted, 7 days/wk and are with your gf/wife in the end no matter how late. Even on deployments you sleep unless you're on alert. You have a life that you enjoy. Doctors in America don't. So with all due respect I suggest please mind your own business.

Let us all know how you do in UPT!  I assume since you’re the only Private Proctologist in the world you’ll be pretty easy to PID.

Downgrade for planning right off the bat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, katdude said:

I was the one posting about being enlisted army and a doctor, so what? 

This Airforce pilot job is a break for someone like me. As an AF pilot you sleep uninterrupted, 7 days/wk and are with your gf/wife in the end no matter how late. Even on deployments you sleep unless you're on alert. You have a life that you enjoy. Doctors in America don't. So with all due respect I suggest please mind your own business.

Lololololololololol 

At least Chang was a respectable troll 

Enlisted army doctor......RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, BashiChuni said:

Lololololololololol 

At least Chang was a respectable troll 

Enlisted army doctor......RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Hey, I remember (15ish years ago) reading about a Guard-guy who was a SrA weapons loader on Hogs at Whiteman (I think). In his day job, he was a doctor; and no, not a vet or a gyno.  

So it possible... 

4 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Hey, I remember (15ish years ago) reading about a Guard-guy who was a SrA weapons loader on Hogs at Whiteman (I think). In his day job, he was a doctor; and no, not a vet or a gyno.  

So it possible... 

Yup, lots of interesting peeps in the enlisted force in the Guard.  I knew one who is a self made millionaire, a few who were legacy airline pilots, one who was doing their residency while still an E-6 and an E-9 whose company easily makes him more than a 4-star.  We have some great people doing some pretty awesome things out there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:11 AM, katdude said:

I was the one posting about being enlisted army and a doctor, so what? You are not the first person trying to be a A-hole to me.. people don't understand why I do things no one else would.. I've been through army enlisted boot camp and medic training as a doctor and have seen tons of folks trying to mess with me just because - I'm different.

If you don't want to answer my question, then fvck off. Nobody's asking you to come here and give me attitude. A proctologist is a doctor too and deserves respect. You did nothing in your life that even comes close to what a doctor does so please don't tell me I should know answers to basic physics questions.

Sleeping 2 hours/ night in the call room, never getting 8 hours sleep at once, yet still put a smile on my face and talk to patients in the ER at 3AM answering the most basic questions they pose, sometimes that are seemingly irrelevant and annoying. Been doing that for over 5 years at American hospitals. And here you guys are, coming after me for asking something I don't know. What makes you think you can bitcch at someone?

If you think being a pilot is a break, you’re doing it wrong. Very wrong.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, katdude said:

Good luck with that 12 hour notice you are leaving at 10 PM that night on a 16 hour duty day for 2 weeks to a place they cant tell you where over the phone but they said pack for warm weather after only working days for the last 2 weeks.

Oh yeah, and troll.

Edited by MCO
  • Downvote 1