failed MEPS depth perception test?

FINALLY was able to physical at MEPS today after fighting medical records/waiver battles for 6 months. 20/20 vision but I failed the depth perception part of the eye exam. Has this happened to anyone else? The AF liaison office at MEPS said that it doesn't really matter until you go for your flight physical, so I'm curious if it is the same test up there or something different. 

NOTE: this physical was for an AD pilot packet but I'm going to age out soon (turn 29 in January) and I'm not interested in RPA. Basically went through to make sure I was fit to serve, etc. but I'm planning on applying to several guard units in the next couple months. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated! 

Went up to Wright Pat for FCI, and all went well with eyes! Then came the dreaded depth perception test. Ended up failing that first try. The Optometrist put me in glasses and I passed with those on. He said I would just need to wear glasses when I flew! Showed up to UPT for physical (yes, you’ll do all of this again during in-processing) was good with eyes and last was again the depth perception test. Tried it without glasses and sure as shit I passed. Glasses went away and haven’t touched them since. I wouldn’t sweat it! As long as you’re correctable to 20/20 you shouldn’t have anything to worry about!

Fun fact: the answer is never 1 or 5.... 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Magic24 said:

Went up to Wright Pat for FCI, and all went well with eyes! Then came the dreaded depth perception test. Ended up failing that first try. The Optometrist put me in glasses and I passed with those on. He said I would just need to wear glasses when I flew! Showed up to UPT for physical (yes, you’ll do all of this again during in-processing) was good with eyes and last was again the depth perception test. Tried it without glasses and sure as shit I passed. Glasses went away and haven’t touched them since. I wouldn’t sweat it! As long as you’re correctable to 20/20 you shouldn’t have anything to worry about!

Fun fact: the answer is never 1 or 5.... 

Great story and great news! 

From the AFPC Facebook Page

"

If you’re an officer over 30, you may have thought you couldn’t apply for pilot training. Good news! Air Staff has granted a three-year extension to the limits for both Age and Total Federal Commissioned Service for the 2018 Undergraduate Flying Training Selection Board hosted by AFPC this November.

This means that applicants who are under their 33rd birthday (instead of 30th) and have less than eight years TFCS (instead of five) do not require an exception-to-policy for consideration for a Pilot, Combat Systems Officer or Air Battle Manager slot in the next UFT board. Applicants for Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot have no age limits at all…you know, other than the whole retirement age thing…

This exception to policy is intended to increase the eligible pool of candidates meeting this year’s board. Oct. 26 is the application deadline for the 2019 Undergraduate Flying Training selection board, to include any approved waivers and exception-to-policy requests. Visit myPers and search “UFT,” or the UFT page on the Air Force Portal for detailed application information. #AirForce #AFPC"

30 minutes ago, black hills tj said:

From the AFPC Facebook Page

"

If you’re an officer over 30, you may have thought you couldn’t apply for pilot training. Good news! Air Staff has granted a three-year extension to the limits for both Age and Total Federal Commissioned Service for the 2018 Undergraduate Flying Training Selection Board hosted by AFPC this November.

This means that applicants who are under their 33rd birthday (instead of 30th) and have less than eight years TFCS (instead of five) do not require an exception-to-policy for consideration for a Pilot, Combat Systems Officer or Air Battle Manager slot in the next UFT board. Applicants for Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot have no age limits at all…you know, other than the whole retirement age thing…

This exception to policy is intended to increase the eligible pool of candidates meeting this year’s board. Oct. 26 is the application deadline for the 2019 Undergraduate Flying Training selection board, to include any approved waivers and exception-to-policy requests. Visit myPers and search “UFT,” or the UFT page on the Air Force Portal for detailed application information. #AirForce #AFPC"

Looks like this only applies to officers already serving, yes? I'm a civilian 🙁. I wish they would extend the civilian age cut-off, or at least allow waivers.

True...I was die-hard of the "where there's a will, there's a way" mindset until I finally had it confirmed from some higher ups that they do not do age waivers for civ pilot slots. I'd like to go AD but I'm embracing the opportunity of the guard for now. 

I failed depth perception test at MEPS enlisting too, I was told after I left MEPS that you're supposed to look left and right during the test. No idea if that is true or not since I haven't been back to MEPS or to Wright Patt to try it out. 

It is only for this upcoming AD board, but seems like that it'll eventually filter down to the AFR and ANG if it pans out well.

Even if not, don't let it deter you! Waivers are completely dependent on the squadron; some don't want to mess with it at all and some will be willing to put the legwork in for a solid candidate and help push the ETP up the chain. If your goal is to fly and you're not set on only fighters/one specific airframe, you can certainly find a squadron willing to put the effort to get it signed in if you're a standout applicant.

Bottom line, it's not a given that a waiver will get done and it could get kicked back for any reason, but it's also always worth a shot to apply and see if the squadron is willing to push one. You sell yourself to the squadron, they sell you up the chain, and hopefully it works out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I failed depth perception on the very first line at MEPS. A couple weeks later I went to a real optometrist and got the highest score possible. Like someone else said, the trick to passing is to move your eyes or head around, and the lady just didn't tell me that - just said to look into the machine and tell her "which circle was bigger." 

Haven't been to Wright-Pat but I'm sure we'll all do fine now that we know the rules.