Sign in to follow this  
Engineer2Pilot

Unethical to not disclose checkride failure?

I'm not trying to hide anything, but I also don't want to put my foot in my mouth. During fighter unit applications and interviews, unless they specifically ask if you have ever failed a checkride before, do you have to disclose it? I failed my PPL checkride once but now have my license. I'm just thinking it would hurt me because I also have a low GPA, so I don't want to seem like "this kid has a low GPA AND failed his checkride, PASS". Unless that's the vibe I do give off and I am not competitive. Should I just come clean right away? What are your guys thoughts?    

Personally, I would only tell them that you had a checkride failure only if they ask you. However, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I’d be much more understanding failing a private ride the first go-around. A lot of students go into the unknown of a first the checkride having no clue how they’ll perform, react, and the amount of word vomit that can spill out of their mouths. Nerves with the DPE, etc, can also get the best of you. I’ve seen students fail their first private and pass all the other checkride up and through the cfii without a hitch. 

Now if you were to fail the same checkride twice or more, then I would start to be a little concerned. We’re all human and we all have “one of those days”, but I would keep it to yourself unless asked. And if asked, then maybe give the reasons why and how you’ve learned from it and how it has now been such an impact that there’s no way you’d let it happen again. 

That’s my thought on it. Maybe some people in the fighter community could chime in. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ssup said:

Personally, I would only tell them that you had a checkride failure only if they ask you. However, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I’d be much more understanding failing a private ride the first go-around. A lot of students go into the unknown of a first the checkride having no clue how they’ll perform, react, and the amount of word vomit that can spill out of their mouths. Nerves with the DPE, etc, can also get the best of you. I’ve seen students fail their first private and pass all the other checkride up and through the cfii without a hitch. 

Now if you were to fail the same checkride twice or more, then I would start to be a little concerned. We’re all human and we all have “one of those days”, but I would keep it to yourself unless asked. And if asked, then maybe give the reasons why and how you’ve learned from it and how it has now been such an impact that there’s no way you’d let it happen again. 

That’s my thought on it. Maybe some people in the fighter community could chime in. 

I was thinking that too. I just don't want to seem like I'm trying to hide things. It would be nice to get fighter guys' opinions too. 

You will fail in the jet, at some point, by doing something stupid that you know you shouldn’t have done. Own your mistake, learn from it and get better. If you can show that progression, you’ll be fine. To your original question, I wouldn’t bring it up unless asked or you wanted to work that into an interview response (I.e. tell us about a time when you failed at something).

• Like 1

Low GPA can be because you were doing other productive things. Hooked checkride can be for a dumb little thing or even something not dumb but you learned a ton from it. Lying can’t be tolerated. That would be a big Pass. Just show them you are a good dude and have nothing to hide.

As a fighter dude, I'd say just answer that and any questions honestly if asked. The positive point that can come out of that and any other failures is that you learned from your mistakes, fixed them, and moved on. I've yet to find a pilot who doesn't make mistakes.

• Like 1