IPhone to Galaxy S9+

matmacwc

Who has switched from iPhone to Android lately?  I’m thinking of making the jump to a Samsung b/c they just seem better.  I get it, no iMessage, but who really pays for texts anymore.  Specifically the Samsung S9+, maybe the Pixel 2 or 3.  The next question will be stock Android apps or the Samsung skinned ones?  Apple just seems so limiting, thoughts?

Not an iPhone guy.  I do have a Pixel 1, and I love the stock (non-samsung) apps and constant security updates.  It's the reason I got the phone.  No carrier bloat-ware either.  It was almost $1K upfront, but I think it was worth it in the end.  I got all Android OS upgrades before any carriers and all security updates the day Google released them.

I would also add I haven't had a "slow-down" or other performance dings like I have with carrier provided phones.  At this point with any other smart phone I'd be looking to trade it in since it wouldn't stay connected to data for more than 30 mins.  Pixel is humming along fine for weeks at a time.

I've got nothing bad to say for Samsung, just that I prefer the HTC phones more.  I believe you can get an unlocked phone straight from them, but I don't know how that'll work with your carrier for security updates and OS upgrades.

Pixel 3 should be coming out in Oct, so I'd wait for that.  It was a little pain the the ass to setup my pixel w/ Sprint, I had to go into the store once.  After that and a few hours it worked fine.

My wife are looking at the S9 in favor of our iPhones...and ditching Verizon for TMobile.

Concerns: all our music/pictures/movies are tied up on iTunes. I haven't gotten a good answer on the transition from that standpoint. We don't want to lose all that stuff. For deployments iMessage is nice...if you have Wifi. Thats far from guaranteed now though and even if they have it, if you're bouncing between temp housing (looking at you Died, al Salem, DJ)...you either have a half mile walk, or have to pay for it.

Positives for switching: We're getting sick of Apple's bullshit. Its exacerbated by this XS release. They (Apple) are consistently a generation or 2 behind Samsung. Verizon just doesn't seem like a good deal, we still have a 10gb plan and don't want to upgrade until we figure out what we're doing. The wifi/iMessage solution is TMobile's plan includes data in something like 200 countries.

anyway...change our mind.

I'm also beginning to grow tired of the Apple BS, $1450 for a phone is quite steep, plus being tied to their ecosystem is like having a slow leak that you know is there, but can't do much about. Lol... It's been a while since I've used Android phones, but last I remember their apps always seemed not to work as well as on the iPhone, it was almost as if all the development time was spent on the iPhone version of an app and then they quickly put something together for the Android folks, perhaps that's changed. Then there is the case of some, like ForeFlight, not doing anything on the Android side. I was thinking of maybe skipping on the iPad and using the XS "Max" in lieu of an iPad Mini for ForeFlight but who knows if that'll even work out for my private pilot stuff, plus I think that new iPhone is just too expensive, I might as well get a new iPad for that kind of money, or a laptop, or so many other things.

Luckily, or unluckily I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon so I'm stuck with them. They are very reliable in my area (So Cal); therefore, I can't complain there. Although last year they sent us a letter saying that all of us grandfathered people that were paying $30 for unlimited data would now pay $50 for our data plans, which is fine, it is what it is. I expect another letter when we switch to 5G.

I have the 6S Plus right now, but I'll keep an eye on that new Google Pixel phone being announced this October. I had one of the Samsung Note phones ages ago, and although not bad, I want to try HTC or Google, if I do go that route.

Oh, and to the person above me, I've never done it myself but you can definitely transfer all your photos, movies, and music to a non Apple device, that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by gatsby

I had an android but switched to an iPhone a couple years ago and recently just went back to an Samsung S9. Very easy to swap data as the phone came with a converter plug for the iPhone so data transferred easily plus I was mostly using Google apps. I hated the limited apple world. I've got Sprint and have been pretty happy with coverage, unlimited data domestically and internationally although the international data speeds can suck. 

I heard this once from an Apple guy and to this day it continues to be the best description I can find. 

Apple is best if you are ok with a company telling you what your device needs to be and have. Samsung is best if you want to decide yourself. 

Example developers have to submit thier apps to Apple, if the company feels it can make money off what you developed then you can pay to put your app on the app store. With Google you can simply upload for everyone benefit. 

Work makes us use iPhone but for personal I have had Samsung for the last four generations of phones ; Samsung has always been more intuitive and when you have both you learn how accurate the first statement is. 

The pixel phones are awesome. I've been on Google phones (starting with the Nexus 4) for years, and the pixel phones are the first that are true iPhone competitors.

Personally, I would never buy Samsung because I don't like the Samsung apps. Google apps are very very polished now, and the camera and photo album app are better than anything else out there, including Apple.

If you are already tied into the Google ecosystem (Gmail, Google calendar, search, YouTube, etc), the pixel is a no brainier. Free uncompressed photo and video storage is pretty awesome too.

So slightly off-topic, but if you're looking at switching carriers, look at Google Fi.

Google Fi works in 170 countries. By "works", I mean you power it on, and you get a signal. The phone is wholly agnostic as to where you are on earth, it functions just like you're in Denver or Dallas. Pricing is dirt cheap, I think it's $20/month for baseline service, and $0.01/mb for data ($10/GB). This holds true the world over. SMS is free worldwide; if you're in Kabul or Vientiane then calls are a penny or two a minute. Unless you're on data making or receiving calls, which happens on its own in many places. Walk past a Starbucks and you're on their Wifi without you doing anything. In CONUS, your signal bounces between TMo, Sprint, and US Cellular, depending on who has the best signal. No contract, no sneaky fees. 

The bad: Data charges can rack up. In general, you have to pick from a small selection of phones (Pixel, Moto X4, Nexus, etc). It's possible to register a Fi sim on a Google device and then transfer it to an iPhone. You may get some queertrons down the road, so I'd recommend switching to one of the intended devices for full functionality.

Get Fi if: You travel internationally a lot, or even a little. You don't use much data in a given month (off WiFi). You're a cheapskate.

Skip Fi altogether if: You have no use for international capabilities. You use lots of data. You really don't want to part with your iPhone.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, Lord Ratner said:

The pixel phones are awesome. I've been on Google phones (starting with the Nexus 4) for years, and the pixel phones are the first that are true iPhone competitors.

Personally, I would never buy Samsung because I don't like the Samsung apps. Google apps are very very polished now, and the camera and photo album app are better than anything else out there, including Apple.

If you are already tied into the Google ecosystem (Gmail, Google calendar, search, YouTube, etc), the pixel is a no brainier. Free uncompressed photo and video storage is pretty awesome too.

Lord Ratner, any issues with getting it set up. I'm on Total Wireless now and have read about tons of issues with Total Wireless SIM compatibility with the Pixel devices

For me the best plans are Google Fi or T-Mobile one with the international add-on.  Internationally, they are the same in terms of coverage for practical purposes.  Domestically, Google Fi adds Sprint and US Cellular's coverage.  Google Fi also does some good Wi-Fi roaming.  For data while abroad, Fi can be faster, recommend the $15/month add-on for T-Mobile for faster data and unlimited GoGo on flights.  While Fi is cheap when you use little data, the data costs can add up quickly to take you to $80/month+tax on a single line. T-Mobile's prices (they also offer military discount) are inclusive of taxes and fees.

Why all this about plans? Because Fi really needs one of their devices to work well.  T-Mobile you can take your pick from Samsung, Android, iPhone, etc...   T-Mobile also has some subsidies on phones.  If you generally use 1 GB a month of data or less, Fi is cheap and a clear winner in price.

Security.  SMS is probably the most insecure technology we use day to day.  Leaving iMessage for Android means you will now use SMS to talk to other iPhone users.  Work around: get WhatsApp or Signal (your contacts need to do this too) -- of the widely used messaging platforms these are the most secure.  As far as Phone security goes I would rate it as iPhone, Pixel, and then all the other Android devices.  iPhone does better sandboxing of Apps (meaning its much harder for that random weather app to read data from your other apps).  Pixel/iPhone both get updated fairly fast, while Samsung and others are flapping in the breeze for months to a year.  Android 9 "Pie" was released on August 6th.  Currently no Samsung Note devices run it.  Android 8 "Oreo" released last year is only on 2017 and newer Notes.  Android devices get orphaned fast.  iOS 12 when it drops in a few days will run on everything from the 2013 iPhone 5s to the new Xs phones.  So if you plan on keeping the device a few years -- there's that.  

Customer service.  I was abroad and smashed my iPhone.  Screen was unresponsive so I used iCloud to remote wipe the device.  I walked into an Apple store and walked out in about 30 minutes with a replacement phone thanks to my Apple Care.    I had three more weeks in that trip that would have meant getting a burner phone or something if I had to send my device off somewhere.

Interface: Android wins.  iOS was designed to be easy.  But now with triple home button taps, peeks and pops, settings in the app vs settings in the settings menu, and generally subpar multitasking it can be infuriating sometimes.  Each release of iOS and iPhone since the iPhone 4 came out feels iterative of their last phone and derivative from their competition.  

I currently run an iPhone with my primary number.  This compliments my iPad as they both run ForeFlight.  Bang out a flight plan on my phone while sitting in a Cafe, see it on my iPad when I pull it out of the bag at the aircraft.  For my GA flying I get briefs and file on either of them.  I have a secondary Pixel that I use for Android Auto as it has Google Maps.   Apple CarPlay only supports Apple Maps for now -- iOS 12 is supposed to bring Google Maps/Waze support at some point.  Apple maps doesn't work in many of the places I visit.  That, combined with the ability of the new iPhones to simultaneously use two SIMs means I can have my main number, and a burner phone number for craigslist or host nation data plan or whatever kids do with their second phone number these days.  So in a few months I will probably be iPhone only despite it being the inferior product due to the reasons listed above.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Does Apple maps allow you to download maps? I do that with Google Maps when I'm going somewhere I think coverage will be iffy and it works nicely. 

Negative ghost rider.  Currently Google Maps is the only one that allows you to download offline maps AFAIK.  Apple Maps is nowhere near as good as Google Maps, but it’s getting better...slowly

My 2 cents.  I hate Apple , for no good reason but it is what it is.  Been a samsung guy for years and have decided I am done with the brand.  Had too many problems, not happy with reliability.  Now, if you happen to be the sort that gets insurance, maybe not a big deal.  Also, the way they build phones they are very difficult to repair.  Was very surprised to see the difference in repair costs for apple vs samsung.

My kid has a pixel and I'm very impressed.  Will probably go with one of those eventually.  Am contemplating Google Fi.  Not sure how well it'll work where I live but I'm sick of paying Verizon as much as I do.

Switched to a pixel 2 when i got overseas orders mainly because it has an awesome camera and no silly device locking mechanisms. Wouldnt go back now. I love the android eco system way better, switched tablets to a galaxy tab s3 as well. 

Edited by FLEA

7 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:

Is there any work around to get media off of itunes (mostly music) on your andriod?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/amp/

Or officially:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205365

one of the easier things to do

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1

Just switched two days ago after TMobile erroneously locked my unlocked iPhone 7 Plus and I was out of a phone for two days after switching to AT&T.

I prefer the user interface of android (widgets and such) over Apple.  Being able to send texts from your PC (messages.android.com) is also nice.  

• 8 months later...

Revival, I went with Samsung S9+, glad I did.  If you like tinkering with electronics and want a second to none display I’d go high end android.  I don’t miss Apple at all.  All that for $600, and if I drop it in the pool it’s OK!

Had iPhones for years, then switched to the S7, now the note 9, and I couldn't be happier.  If you really want to nerd out on your phone, you can unlock developer mode which lets you tinker with a few other things.  Camera is insanely better.