Do T-6 students practice SFO's or forced landings

dannoc

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 8:01 AM, di1630 said:

If we are going for efficiency, there might be some ideas in what you are sarcastically saying.

I think the USAF spends a ton of time and money doing things the way it was done 40 years ago because we fear change.

I know this happens in UPT because I was a student when the first T-6’s came on line. “Can you believe we are training in single engine props!” Said the old T-37 mafia. “There are gonna be pilots who never fly a jet in their career!”

I was one of the last IFF classes to drop bombs off the AT-38. “Can you believe these new students won’t crank mils manually and have a HUD in the T-38C doing all the work...what a bunch of SNAPs.”

At FTU we were all going to get lost and be lazy because we had EGI instead of a drifting INS and nobody knew how to do a delta update and our standby reticle bombing was horrible. One step away from communism.

In my ops squadron wingman were going to kill themselves if we let them use their targeting pod the same time as FL.

I was a T-38 IP when the magical fix to fix went away....all the students were going to wash out of follow-on courses because of that one.

Back to the CAF....gotta print out maps like we did 20 yrs ago, can’t trust those new avionics with satellite imagery built in. HMCS and datalink was making us all soft.

If we had unlimited resources, teach SFO’s to your hearts content. We don’t so we have to prioritize. You can’t cut it all because we need talent discriminators but once a kid tracks...well a heavy pilot probably doesn’t need a acro and a fighter guy doesn’t need as much crew communication work.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Most of your points have to deal with a failure to embrace emerging technology (much like the VR debates going on elsewhere here). Not failing to teach future air force pilots basic airmanship. If you want to go along the line of limited resources, the majority of our aircraft (to include fighters) no longer have production lines; is not in our interest to give our pilots training that not only keeps them from having to eject but also potentially recovers a tens of million to hundreds of million dollar aircraft that's no longer in production?

For those of us not plugged into the UPT life..... what are you talking about?

Students do not learn how to do ELPs anymore. They are expected to fly up initial and land. If they can’t do that then ride the rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk