AD to AFRC help

I've submitted my application to AD Upt board (I'm a newly minted Capt) already, but today an AFRC Col I didn't know kidnapped me after a meeting and told me he heard I was applying for the AD board and I "must" apply for the AFRC flying unit at my base. 

I hadn't thought much about going reserves to fly, but he made a pretty damn good argument for it. I have a competitive package with good scores and no waivers. 

Any wise Greybeard advice on this? I don't have enough flight experience to know what I want to fly, but I love the mission and figured being in a cockpit is the best way to go. 

I was in your shoes last year and knowing what I know now I would have pursued AFRC or ANG much earlier in my career. You get to pick your location, air frame/mission, and have significantly less stress in UPT than your AD brethren. What is not to like? Active Duty may have more overseas basing opportunities if that is what you want, but the daily QoL is going to be better in the AFRC/ANG.  

If you are dead set on fighters then you should probably keep AD as an option. Getting a fighter slot in the AFRC is difficult and definitely not a guarantee, I'd argue you have equal if not slightly better chances to pickup fighters from an AD slot. If you're more into the AMC lifestyle then you have a lot more options in terms of units that you can apply for and get hired at in the AFRC. Your lack of waivers is a plus right now but that won't last long since you'll be coming up on both age and total active service time waivers real quick. If you are going to AFRC you best do it quick, because it seems like some (but not all) AFRC/ANG units are not interested in pursuing any waivers for their applicants. 

As a very general statement, you'll likely get to have more life experiences outside of "home" on AD in terms of living in other countries/states, mixing up the assignment type, etc.  But, there's a whole lot of bullshit that comes along with that.  It was great when I was young and didn't have kids, but by the time my oldest was 4, I didn't want to spend another day on AD.  There are a lot of opportunities in the ARC to fill random jobs in USAFE, etc.  So the adventure and moving around can still happen, it's just not automatic - you'll have to put in the effort to seek out opportunities and make them happen.  The best part - you'll only do it under your own free will and more or less on your timeline.  That kind of power to make the choice is worth a lot...there is no such choice on AD.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 5:51 PM, Uptapplicant2019 said:

Great insight, I guess I'll need to do some soul searching on that. For me the biggest draw for AD is the adventure factor. More opportunities to get in the thick of things. 

But I also have a wife and kid and the moving around is hard for everyone. 

Damn life altering choices! 

So what did you end up deciding? I am in a similar situation with the exception of pinning on 1Lt in couple of weeks and not having a wife and kids. The main reason I want would prefer Guard/Reserve is I do not want to move around so much. The certainty of moving around every couple of years has been the "elephant in the room" for all relationships. Being able to work on my post-military career is also a plus. 

10 hours ago, iavaz said:

So what did you end up deciding? I am in a similar situation with the exception of pinning on 1Lt in couple of weeks and not having a wife and kids. The main reason I want would prefer Guard/Reserve is I do not want to move around so much. The certainty of moving around every couple of years has been the "elephant in the room" for all relationships. Being able to work on my post-military career is also a plus. 

Hah wish I had an answer for you, but I'm still undecided. Part of me wants to be in the fight as much as possible and AD is the avenue to do that, however I know that's probably a romanticized idea more than a reality from what my AD pilot bros tell me. 

Not one AD pilot has told me to go AD over the reserves and I've probably reached out to 10ish (wide variety of airframes including fighters) so that carries weight. 

I'm leaning reserves but at the end of the day if gets me into a flight suit I'll be happy. 

3 hours ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

Hah wish I had an answer for you, but I'm still undecided. Part of me wants to be in the fight as much as possible and AD is the avenue to do that, however I know that's probably a romanticized idea more than a reality from what my AD pilot bros tell me. 

Not one AD pilot has told me to go AD over the reserves and I've probably reached out to 10ish (wide variety of airframes including fighters) so that carries weight. 

I'm leaning reserves but at the end of the day if gets me into a flight suit I'll be happy. 

Yeah, I've also been going back and forth for the past week. I'm thinking of holding off on AD UPT board this year and trying to get a Guard/Reserve slot. Luckily for me I don't lose out on an opportunity to apply for AD UPT if I hold out a year.

Best of luck with making your decision.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:29 AM, Uptapplicant2019 said:

Part of me wants to be in the fight as much as possible and AD is the avenue to do that

The guard and reserve do plenty of fighting, not sure where this idea keeps popping up that AD is the only way to "get into the fight." I know several AD Lt Cols who have never been to war...shitty timing, nothing they could do about it. I don't think this desire should steer you one direction or another...luck and timing will play out whether you're on AD or in the ARC.