Looking to fly heavies! How am I looking?

jyang1659

Edit 1: to reflect PCSM score after taking TBAS

Edit 2: to reflect updated flight hours and subsequent PCSM increase; age increase; context updated

Hello,

I am a civilian with no prior service looking to fly any heavy airframe I can get my hands on. I am 29 years old. I intend to apply to ANG and Reserve squadrons. 

I hold a BA and MA in a non-tech non-stem field 

BA GPA: 3.389

MA GPA: 3.62

AFOQT (1 attempt): P96/N99/AA92/V99/Q70 

TBAS 81 with 42 flight hours- PPL to be completed soon

PCSM increase with additional flight hours:

6-10 = 69

11-20 = 73

21-40 = 77

41-60 = 81

61-80 = 85

81-100 = 89

101-200 = 93

201+ = 96

I have submitted two ANG applications. Both application suspense dates were June 15 but I submitted my applications around the end of May. The interviews are sometime in Sept (if I am lucky enough to get an interview). I know this answer will vary from unit to unit but does anyone have a guess as to when I can expect to hear back from these units? And do most units contact you to tell you yes/no for the interviews or just yes? 

Thank you to any and all who took the time to read and provide input. I am grateful!

Edited by jyang1659
Edited to reflect PCSM score after taking TBAS

I would try for Active if you want active, the worst that happens is they say no. Your AFOQT scores are very good, your GPA is good also. As for flying I would continue to gain hours and if at all possible get to atleast your SOLO and complete that. I wouldnt break your bank to try and force a PPL out.  The TBAS range for hours are 

0 hours/ 1-5 hours/ 6-10 hours /11-20 hours/21-40 hours/41-60 hours/61-80 hours/ 81-100 hours / 101-200/ 201+

I personally would continue flying till you SOLO & get above 21 hours at a minimum. Push for active duty if you want, let the Air Force tell you no. As far as the LASIK information, I think this forum has a lot of useful information about it, but if you can complete your FC1 that would be the ultimate source of information in my opinion.   

Good luck on your TBAS, it was a very fun test. Also good luck on your journey! 

Edited by HDESP
  • Upvote 1

Just my .02 from seconding what @Yaweh said: you’ve got solid scores, a solid GPA, and you can build that PCSM with some hours. Your score is not terrible with such low hours, but you’d be certainly better off if you did as he said and get to at least 21 hours and aimed for a solo sign off, if you can swing it. 

I can’t advise on your AD hopes, but have you looked into the Unsponsored route, as well? Some heavy squadrons will cold-call Unsponsored guys since you’ve already got a slot, so it might be a way to get you higher on interview lists. 

Put together a professional looking packet and be locked down for your interviews, I think you’ll be a pretty solid candidate. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Your PCSM is 1 higher than mine at all the same ranges. I have 21 hours. Your AFOQT pilot score is about 20 higher than mine. I have an engineering bachelor's at 3.2 gpa. Also I'm a few months older than you. I took the TBAS twice, first time was 43 with 3 hours. All this to help you judge where you are. 

From my experience at the heavy squadron I was just hired to, solo is a big step. When I visited leading up to the interview I was asked I think 3 times if I had soloed yet (I hadn't) and told to get the solo after the interview. My suggestion goes along with @FDNYOldGuy and get that solo. 21 hours helps too.

Not an expert but hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/22/2018 at 6:04 AM, DifferentViper said:

Your PCSM is 1 higher than mine at all the same ranges. I have 21 hours. Your AFOQT pilot score is about 20 higher than mine. I have an engineering bachelor's at 3.2 gpa. Also I'm a few months older than you. I took the TBAS twice, first time was 43 with 3 hours. All this to help you judge where you are. 

From my experience at the heavy squadron I was just hired to, solo is a big step. When I visited leading up to the interview I was asked I think 3 times if I had soloed yet (I hadn't) and told to get the solo after the interview. My suggestion goes along with @FDNYOldGuy and get that solo. 21 hours helps too.

Not an expert but hope this helps. 

DifferentViper if you don't mind me asking, were you picked up by a guard unit or a reserve unit for heavies?

I'm currently enlisted ANG and trying to decide if I should keep trying for a guard slot or go the unsponsored reserve slot.

I was picked up by a reserve unit. 

Depending on your age i would suggest keep applying to any guard or reserve squadrons that are hiring just so you have some control of where you live. If you are getting close to max age then you can try unsponsored but if you want to fly heavies and have decent scores and resume and aren't a tool you should have your pick even if you are too old. 

• Like 1