Which Tablet, Which Software - GA Flying

RegularJoe

Looking to invest in a new Ipad Pro and Foreflight + Jeppesen, before I drop a far amount of money on this setup I was curious if anyone had some better options or advise on why to go this route or why not to go this route?

Aircraft already has a GNS430 as primary so this is more big screen for pubs, flightplanning, weather, take out of the plane ease of use type function.

Thanks in advance.

I have both Samsung which I like and Apple due to work which I tolerate.

Have used Foreflight in the past, I plan to go the usual route of the Ipad etc.. just wondering if anyone had a better/different take on the same topic.

I used to be a Naviator fan, but this is not even a question anymore. With every release FF is dominating the market on features (engine out glide rings, real time IFR clearance release and filing through the app, bull cuts, geo plates, AHRS backup etc. could go on all day). The real question is what size iPad which there are tons of recent threads from other pilots on reddit/r/flying discussing as much. Personally the 9.7" works best for me. I can wear it on my knee but it's also big enough to operate essentially as an MFD on a yoke mount or window mount. Mini is too small IMHO,  while the Pros are overkill and too large. 

FF is the gold standard.  I'd hold off on making an iPad purchase (esp a Mini) until after the next Apple announcement (Sep/Oct time frame)...they are likely to update the product line and if a Mini 5 drops, get that.  If the Mini goes away or doesn't get updated, get a 9.7.  Highly recommend you get the cell enabled iPad...WiFi only does not have GPS.  You'll still want to connect it to a Stratus or Sentry or other external GPS, but it's nice to have that backup GPS just built in just in case.

Plenty of documented cases of dudes making it home on iPad/FF alone during electrical failures or other EPs...do it right, you'll be happy.  You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

FF is certainly the best. However, the subscription costs $$, not to mention the iPad if you don't already have one. If you don't mind dropping $400, it's totally worth it and you won't regret it. 

That's being said, I'm a cheap SOB.  I use Avare on my Android phone. Free, and just as good for real time navigation. But its flight plan and filling sucks. I use Skyvector for the planning and filing. That means double the data entry, but it's all free! 

With a 430 I'm assuming you don't care about Bluetooth or app sending info to your aircraft GPS. 

12 hours ago, RegularJoe said:

I have both Samsung which I like and Apple due to work which I tolerate.

Have used Foreflight in the past, I plan to go the usual route of the Ipad etc.. just wondering if anyone had a better/different take on the same topic.

ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot are the only ones to work with Garmin Flightstream as far as I know. If you are flying ifr, ForeFlight can save you a ton for time filing, getting updated expected routing clearance, and then programming the 430w with flight stream.  If renting by the Hobbs,  it can help pay for itself. If owning, it still saves a lot of the time and wear and tear at idle. I would rather use my iPad or Bluetooth keyboard to put all the routing in than the Garmin Etch A Sketch interface.  

If if you fly other aircraft, then ForeFlight on an iPad is the only common working system between Garmin, Aspen, Dynon, Avidyne, etc...   panels that have wireless connectivity.

I’m very new to the EFB options, but I’ve used Seattle Avionics’ Fly-Q and been pretty happy with it. They’ll let you test drive it for 30 days for free and you can extend that time by using a different email and another trial, if necessary, to get a better feel. If you buy it, it’s $69/year for VFR and $129/year for IFR, IIRC. Not sure about discounts for Mil or CFI.

I’ve been using it with an iPad 4 (snagged a used one off of eBay for pretty cheap), which is a bit of a big screen and not really yoke-mountable, but I like having the larger display personally. The previous charts/printouts in my lap weren’t much smaller and it’s easy to read. There are some kneeboard cases out there, too, but I don’t have one yet.

If you’re not sure yet which to use, it’s maybe worth a look with the free trial, IMHO. 

Thank you to everyone on the responses.

I am going with the Pad and FF as everyone has suggested, have used it in the past and liked it just didn't want to invest if anyone knew of something new around the corner.

:beer:

Thank you to everyone on the responses.

I am going with the Pad and FF as everyone has suggested, have used it in the past and liked it just didn't want to invest if anyone knew of something new around the corner.

If you are an Android tightwad, check Avare. Free.

My GRT EFIS bluetooths to their android remote app for non-Garmin installed hardware integration. ADSB-IN easily pipes to installed and portable devices a dozen ways.

Fltplan.com is great freeware on iOS, Garmin just announced buying them.

FF is the gold standard based on popularity, if you up for are paying, it works.

The newest Retina screens are great in daylight, previously the Samsung Androids has several best direct daylight viewing.

I guess I'm just a dinosaur, but I am just now starting to look at this stuff for GA flying.  Well timed thread, thanks for the inputs.

I use Jepp FD Pro for work, but several guys I've flown with have put ForeFlight on their iPads as a supplement, so I am going to try that out, too.

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2022 at 3:18 PM, JohnyTodd84 said:

I have a problem installing the tablet, can you throw off the guide or tutorial how to do it?

A bit more specific?  Installing what tablet?  Installing the tablet where?

I have tried several Ipads starting with an Ipad Pro thinking bigger was better but it was difficult to mount and bulky in the cockpit.  For the past three years I've been using an a bigger IPad Air which worked well but honestly was still a bit big.  A few months ago I moved to the new IPad Mini 6 and it is perfect for me.  I have a new airplane with full glass but use the IPad to send the flight plan and clearance changes wirelessly to my panel, really cuts down on button pushing.  I can mount the Mini or put it on my leg, very versatile.  My panel is backwards compatabile so I get ADS-B info in addition to what is displayed on the Garmin.

• Upvote 2

iPad mini I think is the ideal form factor for an aviation tablet. Using them as EFBs on active duty was great and mine did double-duty when I would fly -172s and similar. The standard iPad size I always found too big like you said.

It also blows my mind that armed with nothing more than steam gauges + an iPad mini with a sentry ADS-B box and foreflight, I can have orders of magnitude more SA in a little Cessna than in my multi-million dollar military aircraft that unfortunately is saddled with BS software & poor systems integration 🙄

That civilian setup literally costs like $1,200 plus a $240 per year subscription…for that price I could probably get one (1) military grade 2” stainless steel screw to  go screw myself with haha

Edited by nsplayr
  • Haha 3