addressing ANG cover letters/LOR?

Spicoli

Just wondering if there is a specific way that letters of intent/cover letters and letters of recommendation should be addressed when applying to guard units. For example, should it be addressed the the squadron vs the wing? Any info would be much appreciated!

Address your cover letter to the Sq/cc if possible! I’ve seen Letter of Recs addressed also to Sq/cc’s, “To Whom it May Concern,” and for example “123 FS UPT Board Members.” I’m not sure if the LOR’s matter as much as to who they’re addressed to verse the content in the letter! Others can chime in with their experiences. 

My LoRs were genetically addressed, as I figured I would probably have to send out a lot of applications due to my age. I never had anyone saying they should have been addressed specifically. That said, if you want a specific squadron and plan on giving that your all, I’d maybe have them specifically addressed.

Cover letters, on the other hand you definitely want to personalize as much as possible. I didn’t know if I should be addressing to the hiring PoC or the Commander, though. If they listed a PoC in the hiring notice, I used that name. If it was a general hiring email, I tried to chase down the squadron commander’s name and address it to that person. Sometimes you can just call the squadron switchboard and ask who the commander is. If you personalize the letter enough to the squadron, a TWIMC heading may not be a big deal except maybe in the pickiest/most competitive squadrons. 

Good luck!

19 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

My LoRs were genetically addressed, as I figured I would probably have to send out a lot of applications due to my age. I never had anyone saying they should have been addressed specifically. That said, if you want a specific squadron and plan on giving that your all, I’d maybe have them specifically addressed.

Cover letters, on the other hand you definitely want to personalize as much as possible. I didn’t know if I should be addressing to the hiring PoC or the Commander, though. If they listed a PoC in the hiring notice, I used that name. If it was a general hiring email, I tried to chase down the squadron commander’s name and address it to that person. Sometimes you can just call the squadron switchboard and ask who the commander is. If you personalize the letter enough to the squadron, a TWIMC heading may not be a big deal except maybe in the pickiest/most competitive squadrons. 

Good luck!

Did you end up getting picked up by a squadron with the generic LOR? I'm 28 so I'm pushing the age on a lot of them. I'd rather not ask all 3 or 4 LOR writers to edit the letter every time I want to submit my packet...but obviously that would be way easier to have generic TWIMC and "Air National Guard" language instead of specific people and squadrons. Thanks! 

12 minutes ago, Nash2018 said:

Did you end up getting picked up by a squadron with the generic LOR? I'm 28 so I'm pushing the age on a lot of them.

Yes, I did get picked up by a heavy squadron. And I’m DEEP in age waiver territory at 8 years older than you, so that mountain is surmountable. 

That said, like Harris in Major League, I had to “put anything on it I could find.” I made sure my packet was as professional and squared away as I could make it and certainly personalized the cover letter/packet to each squadron.