AFRC-ART shift to AGR

Does anyone have any updated info on this? About a year ago I started hearing about a plan to introduce more AGR positions in Reserve squadrons. From what I heard the majority of full timers would still be ARTs but there would be a few AGRs sprinkled in. 

All ARTs in my squadron have transitioned to AGR and we have more AGR positions for the TRs opening every month.  

I think the overall plan is for 13 officer and 17 enlisted AGRs total in my squadron alone.  

Edited by Tank

The NDAA authorized 3000 conversions for the ANG, not sure about the AFRES, but I imagine it's similar.  Who knows how those will be dolled out across the country, but rumor here is we'll get ~4 pilots converted in FY20.  However I've been in long enough to trust the AF very little, so I'll believe it when I see it.

We’ve been hearing that for the last 1.5 years. Every time the deadline hits where the transition is supposed to happen, we get the “oh it’s comng (sts) but it’ll be here in another 6 months.” I’ve ceased to believe or care about it anymore. 

I know Barksdale has been getting a bunch, and it was much appreciated.  They couldn't get any 12Bs to take the ART jobs because long ago, some genius decided to make all 11B slots GS-13s and 12Bs GS-12s, which was widely considered a slap in the face.  Now that there are AGR slots aplenty, many more navs/EWs are taking the full time slots and fixing the manning shortfalls. 

I've heard that it is coming to the ANG "soon", but aside from the younger dudes that don't have enough flight time to get to a major airline, most people aren't interested in the idea. We do, however, have a few DSG's that would be willing to go on mil leave from their company to come back for more AD points with short AGR tours.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Gazmo said:

I've heard that it is coming to the ANG "soon", but aside from the younger dudes that don't have enough flight time to get to a major airline, most people aren't interested in the idea. We do, however, have a few DSG's that would be willing to go on mil leave from their company to come back for more AD points with short AGR tours.

I guess this all depends on the squadron, and it is coming soon. 

Valid, and I believe there will be a total transition (other than those close enough to tech retirement it doesn't make sense). But NGB and HRO are crazy if they think many dudes won't just say fuck it and go airlines vs. working another year for a 30% pay cut under a terrible system. They could retain more full time dudes, but they're dragging it out and losing a lot of experience in the process.

This process would be easier if NGB would send out some business rules or some guidance. At least with the T5 push, they put out business rules to help with the process. Maybe we’ll get something in “2 weeks”. Until then, commanders are trying to get the resources to the best positions as they see fit. 

In my unit, this won't happen in time. This should have happened 5 or 6 years ago to keep full-timers from leaving for the airlines, but that's par for the course for the way the government operates in general. Totally reactionary and never proactive.

What they really should have gotten authorized was a way to mobilize traditionals to come in and keep the lights on for when there's noone left willing to stay in full-time positions.

• 1 year later...

Reviving the thread. Does anyone have any status on this "ART to AGR" transition? I would really love to jump straight into an AGR position following UPT instead of doing TDART. The pay difference is significant between the two, especially coming off active duty as an O-3 with 8 years. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Questions for anyone who has done an ART to AGR conversion. I am currently an ART and my position is converting to AGR and I am accepting that conversion to become an AGR.

-What rights/protections under USERRA do you have?

-What happens to any leave you have accumulated on the GS side (LA, LM, LY, LS)

-Do you still get 120 hrs of military leave every year?

-Are you still eligible for FEHB, if you want to pay?

-What happens to the money you put into FERS?

Depending on who I ask, I get different answers. On one hand, I am "being called to active duty", so I understand that process and how the above questions get answered in that context. CPO seems to think that I am just like ever yother ART that is being called to active duty.  But I have been told by others have told me that since my ART job is going away, by way of conversion, I don't get any USERRA protection/rights and don't get any of the benefits that I would get if say, I would leave my ART job to take a job at the Pentagon as an AGR, for example (ART job still exists in that case).

Just looking for any insight from someone who has done this before. Everyone is trying to be helpful by answering these questions that I have but there are a lot of WOMs and I am not getting much help from CPO/AFPC (every time I ask , they just send me a link...to a website that I have already read and has generated the questions that I am asking.)