No Specific Age Limit for RPA Pilots

In case anyone was wondering, there is no specific age limit for entry Undergraduate Remotely Piloted Aircraft Training (URT). Based on a few changes recently, according to AFI 36-2105, Chapter 3, paragraph 3.1.1 spells out the age restrictions for persons seeking to enter UPT. Paragraph 3.1.1.3 adds an exception for URT candidates. "3.1.1.3. Exception for Undergraduate Remotely Piloted Aircraft Training: must meet maximum age for appointment in the various grades as specified in AFI 36-2005, Appointment in Commissioned Grades and Designation and Assignment in Professional Categories – Reserve of the Air Force and United States Air Force." Heading over to AFI 36-2005 tells us in paragraph 2.6.1 says, "2.6.1. To be eligible for an original appointment the applicant must be at least 18 years of age and not reached his/her 40th birthday. (T-1) Note: AFRS/RSO, AF/RE, and NGB/A1Y may further restrict the maximum age based on needs of the component." 2.6.2 again spells out the age restriction for UFT, but adds a clause at the end of the paragraph, "(Exception: The 30th birthday restriction does not apply to ARC Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) applicants.) (T-1)" 

I thought I'd share some maybe common knowledge info because I was under the impression for a long time that 30 years of age was the cutoff period. Since I am 34, I was happy to stumble across this information. 

Edited by Adamw412

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was 33 about to turn 34 when I graduated URT in 2019 as a pinned-on Major. I am a Guard guy, so that may be a factor, but I was not nearly alone…there was a Lt Col who was probably 38-40 in the class behind me. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Congratulations to all of those who are getting closer to being an RPA crew.

General requirements do not imply a lot (except of the excellence of experience of course).

This is an inevitable result of the demand and training background results. Those who strive for the purpose make it closer in this case.

Specific Tasks:

• Supervise mission planning, preparation, filing of flight plan and crew briefing 
  • Operate aircraft and command crew 
  • Perform or direct navigation, surveillance, reconnaissance and weapons employment operations 
  • Conduct training of crewmembers and ensure operational readiness

Requirements:

• Bachelor's degree; an undergraduate degree specializing in physical sciences, mathematics, administration or management is desirable 
  • Commission as an officer in the Air Force Reserve 
  • Eligibility for Top Secret security clearance