Navy helo to Air Force KC-135, lifestyle, deployments...

Bigred

All,

I’m an active duty Navy helo dude that has been offered an active duty KC-135 slot. I’m an O-4 and if I switch I will have a 6 year comittment that will put me right over 20 years. 

What I am looking for is gouge on the tanker/KC-135 mission, deployments, homeguard work, family life, preferred duty stations, etc.

What are realistic possibilities of keeping flying for those six years? Is it possible in the Air Force to volunteer for a DO job to stay flying or is the DO a screened position? 

I’ve searched but can’t seem to find any threads newer than a few years old.

I’m trying to wrap my head around the Air Force as well as the tanker life to see if the juice is worth the squeeze. Helos are awesome but doesn’t translate well other than regional airlines on the outside. The is an alternative to walking directly into a major, and I’m gonna ride it out to 20 years anyways. 

Thanks. PM if needed.

Edited by Bigred

4 hours ago, BFM this said:

Active duty?  As in not ANG or AFRC?  Are you being told that you’ll have to go through UPT?  So much intriguing in one post.

Active duty, straight to Altus, with a 6 year comittment. I found an AFI that confirms since I’m Navy and we all have an initial fixed wing training pipeline that UPT is not required. It’ll put me at about 20.5 years total. 

As for the why, I’m on an 1:1 optempo right now but my deployments are 6 months long, with additional trips when not deployed. I’ve been doing that for the past 10 years so I could use the break the tanker community will give me. Plus, last year the Navy saw fit to promote about 35% of my designator to O-5 so odds are I have a pretty dang good chance to promote in the Air Force vice the Navy. The Navy faces a lot of the same leadership issues the Air Force does, so I’m used to it and will just suffer through while wearing a different uniform. I’ve got a few other reasons why but that’s the gist.

I figure 6 years flying tankers for Big Blue gives me a higher percentage chance of walking straight into a major vice sweating it out in the regionals. Interestingly, depending on how some flow through works, I may end up in a major sooner than some of my bros doing the regionals now.

Edited by Bigred

Questions:  

- Has Adriana at AFPC told you "yes, you qualify for an IST?"  

- Have you been passed over for O-5?

- If you haven't been passed over yet, when would you meet the O-5 board in the AF?

11 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Questions:  

- Has Adriana at AFPC told you "yes, you qualify for an IST?"  

- Have you been passed over for O-5?

- If you haven't been passed over yet, when would you meet the O-5 board in the AF?

- Yes

- No

- I have no idea

Btw, I'm the dude that called and talked to you a few weeks ago about the U2. No go as of now from Tbone since I don't have quite enough fixed wing time, so I figure if I can make the transition work, I may reassess the U2 program after I get some fixed wing hours.

Edited by Bigred