It's Official, OCPs are Coming!

Vimix22

2 hours ago, Skitzo said:

Off topic, saw someone around Eglin wearing a flight suit that looked like it was made out of denim. Anyone seen this recently? I wasn’t able to ask or snap a picture. It looked really strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they have been testing some new flight suits by giving them to a few pilots at a few bases to get feedback. I think there's about 6-9 new models with small variations in material, cut, or both. One of them is made of a material that looks "acid washed" and has a shininess to it - it looks like an older poopy suit inside out. 

54 minutes ago, Motofalcon said:

Yeah, they have been testing some new flight suits by giving them to a few pilots at a few bases to get feedback. I think there's about 6-9 new models with small variations in material, cut, or both. One of them is made of a material that looks "acid washed" and has a shininess to it - it looks like an older poopy suit inside out. 

Valid. The denim-looking jumpsuit is half lightweight wool. 

Massif makes their flight jacket in olive drab, I think those old green issued flight jackets are $350-$400 bucks, (don’t quote me, it’s been a few years since I worked in the RA office) I believe the massif ones are $500, and it’s a way nicer product, the AETC base I’m currently TDY  at has issued them to all the instructors. 

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

Massif makes their flight jacket in olive drab, I think those old green issued flight jackets are $350-$400 bucks, (don’t quote me, it’s been a few years since I worked in the RA office) I believe the massif ones are $500, and it’s a way nicer product, the AETC base I’m currently TDY  at has issued them to all the instructors. 

Massif jackets are 428 at GSA pricing. I’ve already got 4 Massif jackets in my house...not trying to make the gubment buy me another. If I can wear an ABU print jacket with a flight suit, not sure why I couldn’t wear a multi cam print. 

28 minutes ago, Standby said:

Massif jackets are 428 at GSA pricing. I’ve already got 4 Massif jackets in my house...not trying to make the gubment buy me another. If I can wear an ABU print jacket with a flight suit, not sure why I couldn’t wear a multi cam print. 

Just wear it & see what happens.  

• Upvote 2

I was in my first semester teaching at USAFA in fall 2001. After 9/11, I got recalled back to the (real) flying world to deploy immediately since I was still qualified. My new gear included a reversible Gore-Tex jacket which I wore with my flight suit when it was raining the day before I left. Some DB Lt Col came running all the way across the parking lot to tell me it wasn't authorized. I literally laughed out loud. I just kept laughing until he walked off. It was funny because it just never occurred to me that anyone would care. It was freaking pooring down rain and a week after the sucker punch.

I've been wearing OCPs in lieu of ABUs for two years just because they fit me better. Morons only have power in your life if you let them.

• Upvote 4

I was in my first semester teaching at USAFA in fall 2001. After 9/11, I got recalled back to the (real) flying world to deploy immediately since I was still qualified. My new gear included a reversible Gore-Tex jacket which I wore with my flight suit when it was raining the day before I left. Some DB Lt Col came running all the way across the parking lot to tell me it wasn't authorized. I literally laughed out loud. I just kept laughing until he walked off. It was funny because it just never occurred to me that anyone would care. It was freaking pooring down rain and a week after the sucker punch.
I've been wearing OCPs in lieu of ABUs for two years just because they fit me better. Morons only have power in your life if you let them.

I don’t know what all you guys get with the deal as far as the FREE aircrew stuff but if you get the full selection you’re going to have a nuclear option to throw at the uniform police.

c075282cb68b320e028f0b5ad496ca76.png

Of all the gear they give me that I have no use for in deployment RFI, this was the one thing our Sgt Major got taken off the list because he so hated to see pilots wearing it.

I don’t know what all you guys get with the deal as far as the FREE aircrew stuff but if you get the full selection you’re going to have a nuclear option to throw at the uniform police.

c075282cb68b320e028f0b5ad496ca76.png

Of all the gear they give me that I have no use for in deployment RFI, this was the one thing our Sgt Major got taken off the list because he so hated to see pilots wearing it.

I had one Army MAJ I was deployed with who loved this thing. I swear he wore it just to piss off everyone. I tried to have him get me one. Never happened.

I had one Army MAJ I was deployed with who loved this thing. I swear he wore it just to piss off everyone. I tried to have him get me one. Never happened.

1. It is incredibly comfortable. It’s amazing that the SOF guys don’t have something comparable since it really gives you great freedom of movement but good warmth during that early onset of winter in locations.

2. This is the refined version.... the original vest that came out with the ACU pattern was the ugliest most gawd damned awful thing anyone had seen which just encourages me to wear it more. It looked like some kind of nasty green Christmas sweater and it seemed like the only place people had it was Korea (which just convinced people it was something commercial and not authorized). We had a pair of pilots that wore that to every field problem in Germany just to drive our Sgt Major nuts. It is the boonie cap of cold weather jackets.

Kinda like the first gen fleece aviator jacket. It had no provisions for name tapes or ranks. Just a jacket with my hat to tell you I was an officer and no idea who I was or who I worked for. I loved that jacket. You could walk by some waste of forcecap with your sunglasses on and hands in pockets to the chow hall or stand on the flight line with boots unbloused and sunglasses on head fixing a log book and they didn’t know which LtCol to go cry to when you told them to politely go find a different place to fornicate with themselves.

• Upvote 1

... it gave Chiefs aneurysms when we wore it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Baseops Network mobile app

Which is on its own enough reason.

If you seriously have time to spend policing people’s uniforms (on the flight line no less) then your job is either not being done, or not important enough to justify trading you for somebody we could use under forcecap. Either way somebody should be re-examining what exactly is your purpose...

57da1145c1bd92a7fc8af220af86932d.jpg

2 hours ago, spaceman said:

Well it was nice while it lasted; OCP baseball hats are already banned at my base... I guess we didn't look quite Army enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Why can' t we bring some heritage back.  

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

54 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Why can' t we bring some heritage back.  

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

I don’t see why we can’t wear squadron/MWS ball hats, (besides the man keeping us down) Navy dudes rock the ship hats. The ABU And OCP patrol caps suck, and the flight hat does not perform to well in the cold/wind. 

3 hours ago, spaceman said:

Well it was nice while it lasted; OCP baseball hats are already banned at my base... I guess we didn't look quite Army enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#MissionFocus

I swear the people who worry about shit like this at a management level don’t realize a) people perform better when comfortable, so quit taking away their options; 2) we lose sleep over someone’s personal preference which adds absolutely zero to the mission; and d) apparently degrading morale over piddly uniform options is greater than our growing crisis over things like quality of life and treating people like grown-ass adults fully-capable of dressing for the day in items we’ve already spent taxpayer money to have made and authoritized as a Service. 

If you need me, I’ll be over here with my hands in my pockets (because it’s cold outside in Afghanistan right now). 

//rant: complete (P)

15 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

Someone get pictures of the wool flight suits. Sounds nice.

That’s what it looks like next to an inside out old bag. Pretty noticeably resembles a canadian tuxedo, but yeah, half wool, half nomex stuff  

53EC8172-F1C8-4173-8D3F-C78A299F9900.thumb.jpeg.c34e3959753ac1f84d75e38cf7eaba40.jpeg