It's Official, OCPs are Coming!

Vimix22

2 hours ago, Fifty-six & Two said:

Thread revival. 

OCP wear (ABU equivalent) can happen tomorrow per the guidance. I don't see where this includes the A2CU (2 piece flight suit). The AMC Sup says you can only wear it while performing flying duties or the sim and hasn't been updated to state that it can be worn all the time. Does anyone know of any different guidance?

Technically the green flight suit is also for flight duties.

The only caveat now with the A2CU is that it "technically" can't be worn to off-base leisure stops like the bag or OCPs can. I don't think anybody will care.

The army doesn’t allow the OCP to be worn for leisure stops, but I’ve seen plenty at the restaurants around JBML

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, jrizzell said:

Just because we’re authorized to wear them tomorrow, unless your leadership is saying you have to, just continue with your bag. Personally I’ll wear mine as long as I can, I could care less what I can wear.

Where does it say we are authorized to wear the A2CU tomorrow? Legit question that I can't find the answer to.

51 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

The army doesn’t allow the OCP to be worn for leisure stops, but I’ve seen plenty at the restaurants around JBML

The army doesn’t have any restrictions on wearing OCPs for leisure stops. Unless it’s a leisure stop at the bar. 

“Restrictions on wear. (1)  Soldiers may not wear the combat uniform for commercial travel unless authorized IAW paragraph 3–7b  through c, above. (2)  Personnel may not wear the combat uniform in off-post establishments that primarily sell alcohol. If the  off-post establishment sells alcohol and food, Soldiers may not wear the combat uniform if their activities in the establishment center on the drinking of alcohol.”

I’m reading my ANG Wing’s FAQ on OCP wear.

Q. Will aircrew also wear the two-piece flight suit version of the OCP?
A. The Army Aircrew Combat Uniform, or A2CU, is certified for wear in non-ejection seat aircraft. Aircrews flying non-ejection seat aircraft, including rotary wing and mobility aircrews, will be issued this uniform through their normal equipment issue process. Many aircrews in U.S. Air Forces Central Command and Air Mobility Command are already wearing the A2CU.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

ACU = Army Combat Uniform = Normal uniform of Soldiers in the Army, available in Multi-Cam, OCP and UCP

A2CU = Army Aircrew Combat Uniform = Pilot Two Piece that shows off how fat your are or are not.  When you ditch the Velcro straps because they don't reach you are ready for CW4+ or O5+.  Currently available in UCP and Multi-Cam -- OCP coming to a warehouse near you soon.

OCP = Operational Combat Pattern (aka Scorpion W2, close to Multi-Cam but with slightly different pattern - unless they are laying flat next to each other it is hard to tell)

UCP = Universal Camouflage Pattern -- designed to universally stand out in all environments.  It does actually work fairly well in the IR spectrum, but in a woodland environment it is useless.

The sad part about the A2CU in Army circles is that we ditched our bag in order to have them.  Reasoning: we will look more like the guys we live to support.  End result from careerist: "A2CUs are not authorized at <insert event>, wear your ACUs instead so we blend in". 

Of course now they are considering bringing back said bags and the morale patches that were also a casualty along the way -- in order to solve morale problems/pilot attrition.  Or maybe that is just the pipe dream.

Edit to add: but the FREE (fire resistant environmental ensemble) jacket is probably the best thing since the poncho liner that the Army gave me.  I still worry how leaky the two piece is in a fire vs the bag or if they had invested in making something more functional vs fashionable.

Edited by Yoda
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 11:04 PM, Fuzz said:

We’ve been specifically told that the OCP guidance does not apply to the two piece flight suits. We aren’t allowed to wear A2CU outside of flight duties. 

There are dudes wearing A2CUs on the HAF and Joint Staff... to work in the Building - GOs included! If your local leadership isn’t letting you wear them based on the 1 Oct wear dates, someone is making up guidance... 

While that may very well be the case, and their prerogative, it is outside the intent. 1 Oct wear dates apply to any and all previously issued OCP variants and those being issued now. It’s a uniform like any else. YMMV on what constitutes “flight duties” (he said remembering how everyone played Dodge Blues-Monday during the Schwartz regime...)

Chuck

• Upvote 1

Why would anyone wear A2CUs to the office in garrison? If we start doing that en mass, then we’re giving them an excuse to take our bags away.

Exactly; It’s an Army Uniform that the DoD is adopting to save money for deployed Ops. If we all willing stop wearing our Flight Suits to work because there is a “new shiny” option available, it’s our own fault when they get replaced. As Charleton Heston said “From my cold dead hands”!
  • Like 2

Gents/Ladies,

The new uniform for us non-zipper-suited-sun-gods is fantastic.  I love having the Flag Patch, and look forward to unit patches, and morale patches.  It fits so much better, and is infinitely more comfortable.  Even if I rock these for only a couple of years, it was worth it.

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

Gents/Ladies,

The new uniform for us non-zipper-suited-sun-gods is fantastic.  I love having the Flag Patch, and look forward to unit patches, and morale patches.  It fits so much better, and is infinitely more comfortable.  Even if I rock these for only a couple of years, it was worth it.

Do they all have to be weird coyote colors? Full color patches on Fridays at least?

40 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Do they all have to be weird coyote colors? Full color patches on Fridays at least?

Per AFI the weird colors.  Perhaps we can lobby for full color patches on Friday.

I remember switching from black boots and black T-shirts to sand T-shirts and green boots looked off in the flightsuit when the transition was going on. Brown boots and tan T-shirts will take some getting used to as well.

Anything will look better than those green boots, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vimix22 said:

Soooo are we sticking with sage green boots w/ flight suit or will they eventually be coyote? Seems like someone told me the other day we'd be in coyote boots by 2020 or something. 

Look something like thisImage result for marine corp flight suit 

At least you don’t have to wear those death-traps disguised as survival vests. 

No can do. I’ve been mowing my lawn in my tan boots for like 8 years now. They’re not ... um ... serviceable anymore  
Sorry everyone. Gotta stick with green till I retire.

Luckily tan and coyote are completely different!