It's Official, OCPs are Coming!

Vimix22

22 minutes ago, RegularJoe said:

Every aircraft that Luke flies he crashes, he doesn't seem to need an ejection seat

1. Swamp
  2. Snow
  3. Speeders in the tree's

Maybe they need to curtail their flight training program hours and add some VR study time. 

• Upvote 4

I’m proud to wear a comfortable uniform. Also don’t need a zipper suit or a leather jacket for the world to know I’m a pilot. Would rather live in obscurity anyway. Flying cargo has greatly increased my antisocial tendencies.

Who gives a shit? The OCPs rock for hot wx ops, also known as EVERY current deployed location.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have worn both; green bag for life.

Two-piece is better for hot & sandy locales and taking a shiite, but looking cool is approx. 69% of the job from what I was told the day I joined and the bag looks cooler. The simplest minds sometimes know best...show up at your kid's elementary school in multicams and they'll all say, "Look at that Army man!" Show up in a bag and it's, "Look at that pilot!"

Luckily I'm in the Guard now where basically the only thing that's truly mandatory is showing up. Well, I mean you gotta show up most of the time at least...😎

Edit to add: +1 to Star Wars being "A long time ago..." It's literally the first thing you ever learned about the entire franchise.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, KState_Poke22 said:

Are they actually taking it though? Has there been any guidance to say the flight suit is being phased out? 

I know some ANG units that are completely swapping it out by 2020. Nothing official on the active duty side though. They only gave them an option between the OCP and A2CU (Army Aircrew Combat Uniform)...... Seriously I'm not going to wear something that says Army in it...yuck. Honestly, one of the biggest selling points for me was the privilege to wear the flightsuit. If they really do take it away, I would rather just go fly for an airline. Thanks for taking away that pride Air Force...  

• Upvote 1

Honestly, one of the biggest selling points for me was the privilege to wear the flightsuit.

I much prefer wearing the bag, but really? There are plenty of careers other than the Air Force where you can wear pajamas to work.

10 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

why oh why is the patch setup on the OCP backward from the bag?  I.e wing patch on the right shoulder and squadron on the left. Weird...

Because some staff idiot somewhere decided they needed to leave their mark on the AF instead of continuing with heritage. They most likely turned it into an OPR/EPR bullet that got them promoted...

Retirement can’t come soon enough...

• Upvote 1

why oh why is the patch setup on the OCP backward from the bag?  I.e wing patch on the right shoulder and squadron on the left. Weird...

I was just hoping it was a typo and would eventually be revised but in the mean time everyone would just wear the patches on the usual sides

We wear AMC on the left shoulder, reverse flag with squadron patch below it on the right. Why we couldn’t keep the normal flag on the left I have no idea.

Jointness/Army

Not anymore. Word on the street is that even the missileers are transitioning to OCPs.

We were angry when missile guys got green bags.

Now we are angry that they are losing their green bags.

I know you’re just stating facts Breckey, not saying you’re upset, I’m just finding the irony entertaining.
  • Upvote 1

I know some ANG units that are completely swapping it out by 2020. Nothing official on the active duty side though. They only gave them an option between the OCP and A2CU (Army Aircrew Combat Uniform)...... Seriously I'm not going to wear something that says Army in it...yuck. Honestly, one of the biggest selling points for me was the privilege to wear the flightsuit. If they really do take it away, I would rather just go fly for an airline. Thanks for taking away that pride Air Force...  

Does anyone have anything written that our beloved green bags are going away forevermore?

The guidance I have received from both AMC and ANG both state that aircrew will maintain green FDUs.

The initial issue at pilot training is still green FDUs, right?

Is the sky really falling?

3 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

We wear AMC on the left shoulder, reverse flag with squadron patch below it on the right. Why we couldn’t keep the normal flag on the left I have no idea.

At least you have the squadron patch on the right for now. Per the reg it’s supposed to go on the left. Don’t forget we will now have to get Velcro sowed on them for the wings to be attached. 

I’ll second this shenanigans on the patch set up. Don’t know why we had to go like the army and the staff dork who did this should be flogged for this. Hopefully we can get a changed pushed through in a subsequent uniform board if enough of us say we have lost our heritage with this new change. Hell we now have to wear a name tape on the back of the patrol cap just like the army. Don’t forget we now have to get another price of Velcro put on both the OCP and the A2C2 for our wings to be attached. 

IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG

This is the AMC memo.

The ANG memo, as far as I can tell, just replaced AMC with ANG. (Those familiar with the ANG will not find this surprising.)

So, it appears that aircrew must maintain the sage green FDU.

Now, if individual units are wearing the A2CU day to day, that’s their call.

In my little corner of the ANG tanker world we wear either A2CUs or green bags for local training flights depending on temperature, etc, since we all don’t have them yet.

The booms typically wear A2CU for cargo checks/training.

If we are going off station we standardize.

If we are going through the AOR on like a Coronet or something we typically standardize with the A2CU for practicality.

We wear green bags in the office.

Most of our booms would have liked to have had the option last hurricane season while pushing pallets in San Juan.

I also, have not seen anything saying that green flight suits are going away. 

My sq was only giving inbounds 1 new green bag at initial issue (no annual issue).

“Ok, crew mission briefing - uniform for the flight will be A2CU...”

That’s why we don’t do it at home station. Too much coordination for a local mission with a 2.5 hour show. Wear what makes sense. If it’s 95 degrees and you wanna do a tee shirt walk around, have fun. You only wear a green bag because it’s your birthright as an Air Force Pilot? Go for it.

You’ve got enough lead time if you’re on a trip to figure it out and coordinate. That way you all look the same and then you won’t show up at some big active duty base and get hassled by some 36-2903 nazi when you should be going to get schnitzel/kabobs/fish and chips/tapas.

Edit:and beer.

22 minutes ago, Scooter14 said:

You’ve got enough lead time if you’re on a trip to figure it out and coordinate. That way you all look the same and then you won’t show up at some big active duty base and get hassled by some 36-2903 nazi when you should be going to get schnitzel/kabobs/fish and chips/tapas.

Are dudes seriously stopping you to make sure your crew matches? So glad the CSAF's statements on focusing on "multi-domain warfare" have reaches the masses...

Oh wait, I forgot. It is the war on Airman.

• Upvote 1