It's Official, OCPs are Coming!

Vimix22

12 hours ago, di1630 said:

JTFC. Who cares. In reality 90% of the USAF should wear nonner-blues as they make the arduous trip between the coffee maker and their computer.

Flight suits for flyers, OCP for SF and if anything a special utility uniform for mx and people who actually do some f-ing work with their hands.

The USAF needs to worry about “utility” for a uniform the same way my 5 year old needs to worry about calculous. How many pockets do you need to check email?

We need new uniforms because we have to mop, cut grass, and clean the bathrooms. Oh nevermind, I was having a flashback to the late 90s. We have contractors now.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

I don’t plan to take part in this musical chairs uniform game. My unworn ABUs will remain hanging in a dark corner of the closet. The OCP can stay on the shelf at the BX. And I’ll keep wearing my 1 piece flight suit to work until I retire

Until you wind up at a base that some jackass tells the Wg/CC that he doesn’t own any ABUs (fill in the uniform) because he wasn’t paid to get them. Then everyone on base gets to show up for an ABU inspection. Fun times.
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Until you wind up at a base that some jackass tells the Wg/CC that he doesn’t own any ABUs (fill in the uniform) because he wasn’t paid to get them. Then everyone on base gets to show up for an ABU inspection. Fun times.

Sounds like an AMC HPO Wg/CC!

I sure hope they don't go full retard and try and take the bags . 

It’ll never happen, and this is why...

Every student pilot starts off in an ejection seat aircraft, so every student pilot will continue to get regular flight suits and wear them at their first duty station.

Plus, the fighter mafia runs the Air Force, so they will never let the one piece leave the normal rotation.

It’s all about the supply chain. Ejection seat bubbas across the US military all need to wear one piece flight suits, which means they’ll always be in the supply system. They may become a little more difficult to procure at a helo or AFSOC base, but they’ll never ever go away.

I really like my green bag, I also really like my OCP flight suit. Each one has a time and place. Hopefully common sense prevails and we can wear the one that makes the most sense given the situation.

As an aside, I hate the set of ABUs I was gifted before a staff deployment and I’m glad they are going away because they suck.

9 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Best part? The jackass was enlisted...and got an annual stipend to pay for ABUs and other uniform items. He was a real special flight engineer who thought everything should be issued.

I agree that you're a jackass if you brag to the WG/CC about not owning a uniform, especially if you get a stipend.  I also agree that it's severe jackassery to make you ALL your people come in for an inspection because of one dude.    

I'm going on 17+ years and aside from my mess dress (which was paid for with a one time stipend), I've never paid for a uniform in my life.  I've never owned a set of ABUs and will likely never own a set of OCPs, unless they issue me a set. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 2:28 PM, 08Dawg said:

I sure hope they don't go full retard and try and take the bags .  We're also going to look retarded wearing coyote boots...

Well in my little reserve world I was just told that we are "required" to wear the OCPs over the tan bags now.....even if the crew wants to wear bags....

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, HeyWatchThis said:

Well in my little reserve world I was just told that we are "required" to wear the OCPs over the tan bags now.....even if the crew wants to wear bags....

Bet that's going to get a bit schwetty...

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2018 at 8:12 PM, HeyWatchThis said:

.......why......?  I'd expect something like that from AD, but the reserves? 

• 3 weeks later...

New 36-2903 interim guidance is released with the OCP arrive 1 Oct. Leave it to the AF to mess it up yet again.

(Add) 8.12.2.13. Users are authorized to wear the A2CU to on-base establishments and while traveling directly between the user’s quarters and base. Convenience stops are not authorized while traveling off-base.

This is still may favorite part: /s

(Add) 5.4.4.1.1. The U.S. flag patch is mandatory and will be subdued using the spice brown color criteria (cloth) centered at the top of velcro and worn while in–garrison and deployed.

8.4.7 If wearing the US flag, it will be red, white, and blue with a straight flag approximately 2 X 3 inches. Note: Chapter 1, Title 4, United States Code, specifies the flag colors as red, white, and blue; therefore, subdued flag replicas are not authorized for wear on the FDU/DFDU.Note: Chapter 1, Title 4, United States Code, specifies the flag colors as red, white, and blue; therefore, subdued flag replicas are not authorized for wear on the FDU/DFDU.

While I’m looking forward to getting to wear this. I don’t like the fact that we went the lazy way and just copied the Army with how they lay out their patches. But do like how folks can now wear the combat patches they earned with the Army on their ground deployments. What was wrong with the way we’ve  been wearing the patches on the bag so far? Plus now I have to go and get Velcro sowed onto the top for the wings now. 

Edited by cragspider
Clarification

Plus now I have to go and get Velcro sowed onto the top for the wings now. 

For some reason, this really annoys me.

Here’s a uniform you can wear right out of the box! Just slap on some name tapes and some rank, and you’re good to go!

Cool! I have about 27 subdued name tags at my house with my wings on them because every time I deploy someone feels the need to order me a set. I’ll just slap one on the 5 acres of Velcro on my sleeve and I’m ready to go!

No so fast...

2 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

For some reason, this really annoys me.

Here’s a uniform you can wear right out of the box! Just slap on some name tapes and some rank, and you’re good to go!

Cool! I have about 27 subdued name tags at my house with my wings on them because every time I deploy someone feels the need to order me a set. I’ll just slap one on the 5 acres of Velcro on my sleeve and I’m ready to go!

No so fast...

I agree 100% on this. That was the only thing that really bugged me about the bag. Was the fact I had to take it to get not only frank stiched on but also all the Velcro. Plus depending on what unit I was with I either got it covered by the unit, the riggers/afe  did it for us, or I have to pay out of pocket for each one 😡. So here comes the OCP where if I have the tapes and rank already it’s go to go. Not now. Plus let’s make you get new patches for it even though what we have for the desert bag works just fine. That and the flag thing really annoys me. Why can’t it be the standard color flag like the Army wears in the states but on the left or if you have the IR one you can wear that? How much more money are we going to waste on this new uniform even though we’ve been wearing it for  what 6 years downrange now? 

On 6/18/2018 at 8:05 AM, nunya said:

Largely a distinction without a difference.

You can say that again. It's fucking terrible.

On 6/22/2018 at 5:49 AM, HeyWatchThis said:

Because sadly the reserves has a crop of leaders that came off AD who are still looking to make a lot of rank in the reserves.   

Not so much that, it's TFI imo. That fucking initiative blurred the lines all to hell, and the AD sycophants ran with it. It's been game over for a while. If you see someone in a TFI outfit who isn't leadership, understand that person is merely calculating on a second to second basis WHEN and not IF,  the pain ratio will exceed his or her tolerance, at which point boldface applies. It's no way to man a place worth being a part of, I tell you that much.

17 hours ago, Breckey said:

New 36-2903 interim guidance is released with the OCP arrive 1 Oct. Leave it to the AF to mess it up yet again.

(Add) 8.12.2.13. Users are authorized to wear the A2CU to on-base establishments and while traveling directly between the user’s quarters and base. Convenience stops are not authorized while traveling off-base.

Which is really weird, since the OCP paragraphs allow it!  Also, for OCP's, it appears that wings are mandatory, so as the others said, now we have to get more velcro added...but maybe not for A2CU's, since there's separate guidance?!  Also disappointing they made blousing required for OCP's.  And you can roll the cuffs up (but not sure if OCP's have the same cuffs as A2CU's?). 

This note was curious:

NOTE: After 1 April 2021, the 100% cotton Fire-Retardant OCP will not be used as an alternative for the 50% cotton/50% nylon OCP. The Fire-Retardant OCP is not authorized or intended for wear by all Airmen. Only Airmen in jobs that have occupational safety and health administration (OSHA) requirements for wear of the 100% cotton Fire-Retardant OCP (i.e. deployed Airmen operating in outside the wire mission sets) will be authorized to wear this distinctive uniform/equipment item.

So will the Chiefs be after all the rated staff wearing A2CU's instead of OCP's?  I'm not buying both dammit...

Finally, how about this one?!

(Add) 8.12.3.3. A survival vest, body armor, or restraint harness will be worn over the A2CU coat during all flight operations with the coat worn outside the trousers. If none of these can be worn over the coat, the coat will be tucked into the trousers.

Which is really weird, since the OCP paragraphs allow it!  Also, for OCP's, it appears that wings are mandatory, so as the others said, now we have to get more velcro added...but maybe not for A2CU's, since there's separate guidance?! 

My annoyance about the wings was actually directed at the AMC/ANG A2CU guidance for non ejection aircrew that already exists.

We can presently wear the A2CU for global flight ops, but nametags on the sleeve are a no-no. You must wear your aeronautical badge above the USAF on your A2CU.

You also must wear the patrol cap, not a baseball cap or a floppy hat (NA CENTCOM)

The final piece of ridiculousness they put in the guidance is that Aircraft Commanders are responsible for ensuring flight suit standardization for the crew. So, you aren’t supposed to have one guy in a bag and another in the A2CU.

I don’t know how you enforce that but whatever. It’s just one more thing in a long line of things that make it more difficult to just get in an airplane and fly it.