Prior enlisted AFSCs

Aside from the obvious things such as a solid AFOQT/PCSM score, being a good dude, interviewing well, and flying hours, I was wondering if holding a particular AFSC would help you get selected at an ANG or Reserve unit. I'd be applying to fighter squadrons, and I'd imagine it would matter to them more than it would a heavy unit. I'm a JTAC (1C4) that's been to SERE water survival and all that good stuff. Just curious, still gonna knock the other stuff outta the park to be competitive. Thanks!

Edited by OneFourSeven

Most of the pilots at my unit (that I know) that are prior enlisted seemed to have enlisted AFSCs that involved touching the jet in some fashion. Avionics, Fuels, Engine Shop, Weapons, Crew Chief, etc... This is just my experience though so I'm sure pilots at other units have varying backgrounds.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been ARMS (Aviation Resource Management) for the past 5.8 years. Short tech school, easy job for the detail oriented. If you get assigned to the SARM as a Squadron Aviation Resource Manager you'll work right up along side pilots! 

In my case, I worked with the pilots that sat on my UPT board. I leave for OTS next week and UPT shortly thereafter. 

Side note, we have a lot of prior E's as our pilots that came from within the entire Wing, not just the Squadron.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all, gonna revive this a bit.

I'll give a bit of context before I ask the question.

Currently in the Guard enlisted as a firefighter. I am looking at applying to my sister wing up the road to fly the 135. Currently 25, but turn 26 here in a few months.

What are the thoughts on staying fire while applying vs transfering to my sister wing as a boomer and then applying for upt? Unfortunately my sister unit does not have a fire unit there so I cant transfer and do that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, tankerblade said:

Greetings all, gonna revive this a bit.

I'll give a bit of context before I ask the question.

Currently in the Guard enlisted as a firefighter. I am looking at applying to my sister wing up the road to fly the 135. Currently 25, but turn 26 here in a few months.

What are the thoughts on staying fire while applying vs transfering to my sister wing as a boomer and then applying for upt? Unfortunately my sister unit does not have a fire unit there so I cant transfer and do that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My gut feeling is that all you'll do is increase your timeline, with the possibility of exceeding the 30-year mark before you go to UPT.  If you want to be a pilot, apply to be a pilot.