Fly-Only Track in AMC

nsplayr

6 minutes ago, IDALPHA said:

Empire Building is the term you are looking for

Don't forget that 99.69% of those providing 'continuity' have (ret) somewhere in their records.  So for those, it's no different than the uniforms making decisions you don't like.  Not to mention that all those civilians answer to a uniform somewhere up their food chain.  So who ultimately is responsible?

Agree with Smokin 100%. Been saying this for years. We don’t want the guys who would self-nominate for a “leadership” track to become the leaders. Those are usually the last guys the bros want to be in charge. The thing that needs to change is what the promotion boards look for. For this to happen we need a separate rated only promotion board.

This type of thing has been tried in allied air forces and all our fears have been realized....great pilots not able to promote while sh-tbag political types that fly min and only look out for themselves get promoted.

Seen it firsthand

Gotta love some of the rhetoric posted on the MAF FB group from the resident HPOs. The blue koolaid pumping through their veins has made them oblivious to reality. If they’re a fair representation of their peer group, the AF is going to take a long time to unfvck itself.

14 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

Gotta love some of the rhetoric posted on the MAF FB group from the resident HPOs. The blue koolaid pumping through their veins has made them oblivious to reality. If they’re a fair representation of their peer group, the AF is going to take a long time to unfvck itself.

Looking back to when I was a young copilot, I saw a lot of O-4/O-5 types who thought highly of themselves and championed the typical blue koolaid nonsense and poo-poo’d the guys that wanted out. Once they realized their AF careers had reached a dead end, they too were applying to all the majors.

Hypocrites. 

I think Metallica has something to say about what happens at the end of every military career:

“All the wants you waste
All the things you've chased

And it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around
Just want one thing
Just to play the king
But the castle crumbled
And you've left with just a name
Where's your crown, King Nothing?”

BL: Be careful what you choose because in the end are you going to be surrounded by family and friends or are you going to be another O-6 King Nothing?

2 hours ago, Grouch said:

So, if the Majors are gonna do all the flying, who is gonna do all the other bullshit “necessary” to keep the squadron running??

Wait, aww shit.

5F9257C8-95AC-4E5B-9FBD-05A8AC9FDD32.gif

Anyone who is not in the 07-08’ year group for now....good luck 09’ guys!!

Did I read this program is for 4 people and 4 alternates?

You see that on Facebook? I think that comment was in reference to the MAF to CAF crossflow program they started in ‘15-‘16.

They say this program will be a test but they didn’t say how few people they will select

I left the MAF “mentoring” and assignments page. The only website where their is more fellatio is probably p0rnhub...

• Haha 3

I left the MAF “mentoring” and assignments page. The only website where their is more fellatio is probably p0rnhub...

The amount of people praising this thing on there is incredible when all I see is (in all reality) trading in another 8 years of your life for an extra year on station each assignment. All the other “positives” are patronizing as they clearly think by titling something “flying” (aka staff and 365s) we’ll be happy to take it! I can’t believe they won’t at least take 365s off the table to give a little extra carrot. This is even worse than the terrible original idea Everheart proposed a few months ago.

So no flyers downrange on 365?  Do you realize the impossibility of what you're asking?

In exchange for an 8 year ADSC and probable reduced shot at promotion to O-5 they need to put something on the table.

4 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

In exchange for an 8 year ADSC and probable reduced shot at promotion to O-5 they need to put something on the table.

I see.  I think I misunderstood the post.  I thought he was saying no flyers should be eligible for 365s.  It would make sense to make a Fly-only track guy non-eligible for 365s.  

Edited by Homestar

I see.  I think I misunderstood the post.  I thought he was saying no flyers should be eligible for 365s.  It would make sense to make a Fly-only track guy non-eligible for 365s.  

Yeah, the original proposed “limited” 180s and no 365 for anyone in the fly only track. Kinda silly for a tanker guy that deploys two months at a time anyways (hello loophole) but still a lot better. I suggested a 4 year PCS ADSC that way you could at least decide after you bargain your assignment but that was on said MAF page so big surprise it didn’t make it anywhere.

My distrust of this organization leads me to loathe accepting even a 2 year ADSC for a PCS, why in the world would I lock myself in for another 9 years with no absolutes?

I can’t find anything on MyPers, but the news announcement has a lot of non-committal language in it like “try” and “may.” No thanks.

• Like 1

Until they start paying guys who stay in comparable to year 2-3 salary at the airlines not much is going to stick...people can claim “it isn’t about the money,” but when the 9-10 year post UPT dudes with families start hearing their bros talk about how awesome their airline gig is in terms of $ v QOL the decision matrix becomes real simple. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

The AF has figured out that is doesn't have to be good, just good enough.    The quality of people doesn't matter as long as there is someone to fill a billet.  They don't care about retention, because it doesn't matter to them as it can't be measured at a personnel management level. 

As long as there are guys still in their 10 year ADSC window, the flying billets are filled, regardless of skill level.  Bonuses for anyone and anything beyond that is for guys to fill staff billets.  They aren't paying for pilot skills, they're paying to keep the booger eaters in to keep the bureaucracy running.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snoopyeast said:

The AF has figured out that is doesn't have to be good, just good enough.    The quality of people doesn't matter as long as there is someone to fill a billet.  They don't care about retention, because it doesn't matter to them as it can't be measured at a personnel management level. 

As long as there are guys still in their 10 year ADSC window, the flying billets are filled, regardless of skill level.  Bonuses for anyone and anything beyond that is for guys to fill staff billets.  They aren't paying for pilot skills, they're paying to keep the booger eaters in to keep the bureaucracy running.

It depends on the community. Ours is definitely paying for the flying skills. We have people that can't even get released for the AFPC mail robot offers...CAG to AUAB, for example. We've been told, point blank, that the only way to leave the FTU is to work a one-for-one trade with an ops unit. There is zero chance to get to a staff unless you get picked up for school.

It's great if you legitimately only care about flying, but we've seen that the promotion rates for our community, and for 12B in particular, are behind the USAF average and the average in AFGSC.

Edited by pawnman
A word
  • Upvote 1

They aren't paying for pilot skills, they're paying to keep the booger eaters in to keep the bureaucracy running.

So, if you take the devil's money, you must obviously not be skilled enough to make it on the outside. Noted. A lot of valid discussion in here, and then someone makes a blanket statement like this. Seems suspect.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1