Unsponsored and the needs of the Air Force

Yaweh

Hey, I looked around and haven't really found any information directly related to unsponsored UPT students who haven't found a unit being assigned a unit.  So I was selected with a Primary Unsponsored slot and was under the impression that if an Unsponsored candidate does not find a unit to sponsor them, then the Air Force will find a unit for them. Does anyone know or witnessed an unsponsored UPT student have their unit selected for them because they did not find a unit, how did it work? Were they given a list of units that were critically manned and they choose from the list or did the Air Force email them a set of orders with the Unit on it and that was that (How I feel it would happen).  I have a strong feeling that because Unsponsored students automatically track T1's that they would most likely be sent to a Tanker unit or a C-130 Unit, I am not saying this as a negative I am just trying to gauge which units are probably hurting most for pilots in the reserve. So if you know anyone who went the unsponsored route and did not find a unit in time and had the Air Force find one for them if you wouldnt mind sharing your story or theirs I would be interested in reading that, and if you have opinions on what you imagine the Air Force would do feel free to post that also. Thanks

Depending on how well you are doing at UPT, you'll work with your LNO and get a list of bases that are looking for pilots....and track accordingly.  Theres really not much to it.  Just get with your LNO.  You can make a little dream sheet and they can help you get the plane you want.  Good luck!