Joining detachment as a sophmore (3 year ROTC program)

hurls

I went a few pages back and didn't find much on this, but per forum etiquette, sorry if this topic has been answered.

I am currently a sophomore in the process of joining the detachment at my school. I've done the application and as of now I'm just waiting until orientation. I understand AFROTC is traditionally a 4 year program and I know that means I will need to double up on the courses and grasp the day to day operations in order to catch up.

Has anyone here joined their schools detachment after completing a year of undergrad already and has gone through the program?

If so: 

a) Does joining late make me less competitive for a rated slot?

b) Do you have any advice on how to catch up? (ei. supplemental information/guides I can use)

Thank you for your time

I joined AFROTC after completing two years of undergrad (5 year degree).

a) Yes and no. The only area that you will need to catch up on is RSS (Relative Standing Score AKA Commanders Ranking).   This is your biggest hurdle to overcome. Depending on the size of your detachment, it can be a challenge. Other than that, it does not make you less competitive for a rated slot. The factors for receiving a rated slot are RSS, PFA Scores, GPA, FT Ranking (Field Training Performance), and PCSM. You can have good scores in your PFA, GPA, FT Ranking, and PCSM just by personal preparation. RSS will take some work within the detachment. Overall, joining a year late has little impact on your rated slot chances.

b) Be in frequent contact with your APAS. I would suggest meeting with your APAS during the first 2-3 weeks of the semester and ask for their expectations of you during the semester. Then request a mid-semester eval, and final eval. Your APAS is your connection to the Det Commander (improves RSS). Do well and participate often in your Aerospace Studies class. Participation shows your APAS how you think. Actually prepare for LLAB and volunteer for leadership positions. If you really want to prepare, you can read up on the 2018 FTM (Field Training Manual) and the AFI 36-2203 (Drill Manual). You can start to memorize the Warrior Knowledge that is presented in the FTM. I would suggest going on YouTube and find Det 088 Drill videos, those will help you prepare for drill and give you a nice visual reference.

PM if you want more advice, happy to help.

Edited by HiAlph12
Warrior Knowledge
  • Upvote 1

You should be just fine on the 3 year program. I know that in the recent past AFROTC has changed the way it works a bit in regards to AFOQT and Enrollment Allocations for Field Training but the nuts and bolts should be the same.

Good news is that the first 2 years of Aerospace Studies classes could be taken at the same time (1 credit hour each) class met 1 time per week for about an hour.

The second 2 years are worth 3 credits each and were 1 hr 2 times a week.

I would guess that your detachment runs in a similar way or else completing the program in 3 years would be impossible.

I too did AFROTC in 3 years after joining late (I actually joined during my 3rd year of college and stretched out my degree in order to finish in 5 total years in order to accommodate the AFROTC requirements).

• Upvote 1

Thank you both big time for your inputs... a pint is on me if our paths ever cross. I was able to find the AFI and the FTM online so that is some serious reading material for my flight back to the states. I will definitely enroll in concurrent first year classes.

I know this might be more of a detachment based question, and maybe I just need to check with mine if possible, but what is a competitive ROTC GPA?  I am currently an engineering major and not entirely sure how I'll be stacking up. 

23 hours ago, hurls said:

Thank you both big time for your inputs... a pint is on me if our paths ever cross. I was able to find the AFI and the FTM online so that is some serious reading material for my flight back to the states. I will definitely enroll in concurrent first year classes.

I know this might be more of a detachment based question, and maybe I just need to check with mine if possible, but what is a competitive ROTC GPA?  I am currently an engineering major and not entirely sure how I'll be stacking up. 

Here are the averages for the most recent rated board for AFROTC. As always, past results don't guarantee anything.

The averages for 2017: PCSM: 60.2
PFA: 97.3
GPA: 3.3
And 446 selected

If you are wondering in general, a GPA above 2.0 is what is required. 2.5+ if you are on scholarship. If you would like to be competitive for ICSP (In-College Scholarship Program), shoot for a 3.3 or higher.

Being an Engineering Major will help you with receiving an EA (Enrollment Allocation) to attend FT and if you are put up for ICSP. Since Engineering is a technical major, you are put into a different pool than non-tech. After that, your major doesn't matter, just GPA.

2018AFROTC_Averages_Rated.jpg

Edited by HiAlph12
Enrollment Allocations

• 5 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 8:59 PM, the g-man said:

You should be just fine on the 3 year program. I know that in the recent past AFROTC has changed the way it works a bit in regards to AFOQT and Enrollment Allocations for Field Training but the nuts and bolts should be the same.

Good news is that the first 2 years of Aerospace Studies classes could be taken at the same time (1 credit hour each) class met 1 time per week for about an hour.

I would guess that your detachment runs in a similar way or else completing the program in 3 years would be impossible.

I too did AFROTC in 3 years after joining late (I actually joined during my 3rd year of college and stretched out my degree in order to finish in 5 total years in order to accommodate the AFROTC requirements).

When you join AFROTC what are the main things to do to attain a pilot slot, I am considering going this route and want to have an idea what to do and when. I am a junior in highschool & working towards my PPL. Thanks 

On 7/16/2018 at 7:59 PM, the g-man said:

Agreed.  Not sure how much ROTC has changed, but I was an AS 250 as well and did just fine.  Got a pilot slot with a 2.5 GPA (solely due to CC ranking)

With regards to studying the FTM, I'd say not required at this time (again, I went to FT in 2009, so might be dated). FTP (Field Training Prep) will be plenty.  Like all else if you want to go rated, work hard and be a good dude/dudette; The APAS/CC will notice.  Good luck, and Pm if you want more info