OTS Chances...

So I know this has been discussed a million times before, but I'd like some of your guys input on my overall package for OTS. Im currently AD (6 years TIS) as a maintenance instructor, and a previous flight line crew chief. I'm 24 and have been working on my Bachelor's pretty much since I came in. I will get my Bachelor's of Science in Aeronautics with a minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems in September, just in time for the first and only AD board. I currently have a 4.0 and only have a capstone left so I should graduate with a 4.0. My AFOQT scores are Pilot 99 Navigator 99 Academic Attitude 77 Verbal 52 Quantitative 88. My PCSM is 72 with 1 flight hour, though I'm going to get 11 before the board, bringing up my score to a 81.

I would definitely say my weakest part of my package is my lack of awards, as I only really have a few quarterly awards and monthly unit awards. I'd really like your guys honest input as I'm due an SRB in September, and am probably going to forgo it in order to apply without an ETP. I don't want to lose an SRB if I don't realistically have a chance. I'm applying for all Rated besides ABM, as well as some Non-Rated slots ( Maintenance Officer, Cyber, Intel etc.) 

I think personally you have a very strong chance. Just apply. Is your goal to become a pilot? Are you trying to stay AD or is guard and reserve something that interests you.  Either way 4.0 GPA, 99 PILOT, none of your other scores are low (in my opinion), Your PCSM is pretty high considering you have 1 flight hour. If youre going for pilot, id stick with that as I believe you will have no problem at all. 

I would LOVE to be a pilot, but I'm also open to anything the Air Force has to offer. I'm going to list Pilot, RPA, and NAV for rated and then some non rated jobs that are in demand for the Air Force to hopefully increase my chances. Im just hoping that my awards don't take away from everything else I've done. I have never been one to stick my head out to get awards, and therefore only have a few under my belt. I'm hoping that my instructor experience and scores will put me over the top. I'm just gonna be super bummed if I'm a non select, and gave up my SRB for nothing. 

3 hours ago, ARrado15 said:

I would LOVE to be a pilot, but I'm also open to anything the Air Force has to offer. I'm going to list Pilot, RPA, and NAV for rated and then some non rated jobs that are in demand for the Air Force to hopefully increase my chances. Im just hoping that my awards don't take away from everything else I've done. I have never been one to stick my head out to get awards, and therefore only have a few under my belt. I'm hoping that my instructor experience and scores will put me over the top. I'm just gonna be super bummed if I'm a non select, and gave up my SRB for nothing. 

Don't sweat the awards man (over-rated anyway). It's all about being well rounded. You've clearly made up for it in other categories. Stellar numbers.

I'm hoping that they definitely make me competitive enough to counter my lack of awards. Ive heard of people with the same scores not getting picked up, though maybe there was stuff on their package that they weren't telling me about.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to steal and revive your thread.  I thought this was a good place to pose the scenario below for some wisdom.

I'm going up for the 18-06 board for a CSO slot as a TR after a year of waiting on waiver approvals (LASIK & age).

I've been an Air Force AD & TR Maintainer for 15 years and work as an Aerospace Engineer with the DoD.  My AFOQT scores are not great but scored 87 in the Nav portion and something similar in the Pilot portion. Even as an engineer, lower level math - if not practiced - can really escape one's memory, so my other scores suffered a bit.  All this to say, I am fairly well rounded, with a proven AF career, but I didn't take the TBAS (since it wasn't a requirement at the time).  I do have a few flight hours under my belt in a friend's Cessna and Pilatus, but these hours are not logged or official. 

In light of a recent change to board requirement in May of this year (PCSM required for ALL applicant types, including CSOs) - does anyone have an idea if this new change will be a deal breaker?  I can schedule the TBAS and go to a local flight training center to get some hours to do a resubmit for the 19-01 board, but time is ticking and my schedule is extremely full.  Should I make a concerted effort to make it happen, or is there a grace period or consideration for the new standard.

Thanks for any input!